Map a one dimensional random walk to a two-state paramagnet

In summary: I am also supposed to map this onto a two state paramagnet which I solved in the previous problem... then I can use the factorial equation that I gave. In the state paramagnet that I solved I found that N-spin up = (N/2+x) where X is the excess over N/2. This x, for this walk, is the excess of steps over N/2. This means that for a random walk I have to take into account two times step length and position... which means x= r/2l. I can plug that expression into the factorial and I can use that to replace the x in the Gaussian to solve part
Kitty123
1. The question asks us to map a one dimensional random walk to a two state paramagnet and then write an expression for the number of journeys of N steps which end up at r=Rdelta.

Then we are asked to find an expression for the probability that N steps will end up at r.

2. N!/((N-Up)!(N-down)!)
The average is N/2

e^(-2x^2/N)
Probability= multiplicity(N)/multiplicity(all)

3. Other than saying that x=r=Rdelta and substituting that into my Gaussian I am really unsure of how to even begin this.

I attached a picture of the question. It’s #4

Attachments

• 58414980-78DA-4922-9E98-3309D9AF5CB9.jpeg
    58414980-78DA-4922-9E98-3309D9AF5CB9.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
Kitty123 said:
unsure of how to even begin this.
The first thing it asks for is a verbal description of the mapping. Given a random walk, how might you map that to a microstate?

I understand the first part. A random walk is like a two state paramagnet because for every spin up or spin down you could go left or right.

After looking back over my notes I think I plug-in delta^2/(2tau)*t for x^2... also in light of the second part of the question plugging this in for x^2 would allow me to show that r has a proportional dependence on sqrt(Dt) where D=delta^2/tau.

I have no idea if this is correct... I think I’m on the right track !

Kitty123 said:
After looking back over my notes I think I plug-in delta^2/(2tau)*t for x^2... also in light of the second part of the question plugging this in for x^2 would allow me to show that r has a proportional dependence on sqrt(Dt) where D=delta^2/tau.
Since the question asks for an expression in terms of N and Rδ, and I do not know how you are relating those to the variables you mention above, I am unable to comment on that.
I believe it is asking you to use N and Rδ somehow to replace N-up, N-down in the equation you quoted:
Kitty123 said:
N!/((N-Up)!(N-down)!)

haruspex said:
Since the question asks for an expression in terms of N and Rδ, and I do not know how you are relating those to the variables you mention above, I am unable to comment on that.
I believe it is asking you to use N and Rδ somehow to replace N-up, N-down in the equation you quoted:

I am suppose to express the variables from the random walk in terms of the variables for the paramagnet. I know that r= total distance traveled, delta= the change in placement, and R must be the total steps taken over N/2 since total steps over N/2* delta would give me a final distance traveled. Some how I am suppose to be able to replace the x in my Gaussian with these other variables.

Kitty123 said:
I know that r= total distance traveled
No, it is clear that r is the finishing position of the walk, i.e. the displacement. The total distance walked is the number of steps, N.
I am unclear what R and δ are, but we are given r=Rδ, so maybe I don't need to know.
It does not seem to me that this part, an expression for the number of journeys, is asking for a Gaussian. It does not mention approximation. I would answer using factorials.

haruspex said:
No, it is clear that r is the finishing position of the walk, i.e. the displacement. The total distance walked is the number of steps, N.
I am unclear what R and δ are, but we are given r=Rδ, so maybe I don't need to know.
It does not seem to me that this part, an expression for the number of journeys, is asking for a Gaussian. It does not mention approximation. I would answer using factorials.
Ok! That makes sense. The second part asks us to use the given Gaussian to calculate the probability, and I was assuming I needed to do that for part a... if I am just plugging things into a multiplicity function for part a that makes sense! Thank you.

OK. So if I am supposed to use a multiplicity like you said... but I am also supposed to map this onto a two state paramagnet which I solved in the previous problem... then I can use the factorial equation that I gave. In the state paramagnet that I solved I found that N-spin up = (N/2+x) where X is the excess over N/2. This x, for this walk, is the excess of steps over N/2. This means that for a random walk I have to take into account two times step length and position... which means x= r/2l. I can plug that expression into the factorial and I can use that to replace the x in the Gaussian to solve part b!

Kitty123 said:
OK. So if I am supposed to use a multiplicity like you said... but I am also supposed to map this onto a two state paramagnet which I solved in the previous problem... then I can use the factorial equation that I gave. In the state paramagnet that I solved I found that N-spin up = (N/2+x) where X is the excess over N/2. This x, for this walk, is the excess of steps over N/2. This means that for a random walk I have to take into account two times step length and position... which means x= r/2l. I can plug that expression into the factorial and I can use that to replace the x in the Gaussian to solve part b!
Looks right.

haruspex said:
Looks right.
☺️

Ok... so now I need to use the Gaussian to write the probability of arriving at r. Probability is multiplicity(n)/multiplicity(all). I am assuming my Gaussian e^-r^2/2Nl (the Gaussian with x^2 replaced) is the numerator in my probability since this is the multiplicity function for arriving at r. The multiplicity of arriving anywhere should be the original Gaussian e^-2x/N, right?

Kitty123 said:
Ok... so now I need to use the Gaussian to write the probability of arriving at r. Probability is multiplicity(n)/multiplicity(all). I am assuming my Gaussian e^-r^2/2Nl (the Gaussian with x^2 replaced) is the numerator in my probability since this is the multiplicity function for arriving at r. The multiplicity of arriving anywhere should be the original Gaussian e^-2x/N, right?
That's not quite what I get. It should be x2, certainly, and I also get a factor ∝ 1/√N.
Please post your steps.
As a check, what should the integral over all x be?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
That's not quite what I get. It should be x2, certainly, and I also get the factor as ∝ 1/√N.
Please post your steps.
The Gaussian was derived in a previous question. If the distance traveled over N
haruspex said:
That's not quite what I get. It should be x2, certainly, and I also get the factor as ∝ 1/√N.
Please post your steps.

Assuming that x is the distance over N/2 steps I can say that x=r/2l where r is position, l is step length, and the factor of 2 comes from having to account for the absolute value of step length since I do not want to end at 0 and I assume that for every step left there is an equal step right. Plugging x= r/2l into the Gaussian that was previously derived I get
e^(-2(r/2l)^2)/N
= e^-2(r^2/4l^2)/N
= e^-r^2/2Nl^2. This is the Gaussian for a random walk that ends at position r.

Since probability is multiplicity(r)/multiplicity(all) I assumed that multiplicity(all) would be my original e^(-2x^2/N) since this is all the possibilities, not just those that end at r.

Kitty123 said:
The Gaussian was derived in a previous question.
Maybe, but it is incomplete. There should be a factor ##\frac 1{\sqrt{2\pi N}}## outside the exponential.
I am guessing the "x" you had in post #11 instead of "x2" was just a typo.

haruspex said:
Please post your steps.
The Gaussian was derived in a previous question. If the
haruspex said:
Maybe, but it is incomplete. There should be a factor ##\frac 1{\sqrt{2\pi N}}## outside the exponential.
I am guessing the "x" you had in post #11 instead of "x2" was just a typo.

Yes. That was a typo. The full Gaussian has a (2^N)*sqrt(2/pi*N) in front of the exponential... so there is a factor of 1/sqrt(N).

Am I correct in thinking that the multiplicity(all) in the probability should be the original Gaussian without the r^2/2l adjustment?

Kitty123 said:
Am I correct in thinking that the multiplicity(all) in the probability should be the original Gaussian without the r^2/2l adjustment?
A multiplicity is an integer, a Gaussian is a probability distribution.
I think you are just being a bit sloppy with your usage of the terms, but that makes it very hard to answer your questions.

A Gaussian was never explained to us as probability distribution. That makes this simpler. Thank you for your help.

Kitty123 said:
A Gaussian was never explained to us as probability distribution. That makes this simpler. Thank you for your help.
I may have been a bit too specific there. Seems "Gaussian" is a bit more general in that its integral along the real line need not be 1. When normalized to 1 by a suitable constant factor it is a probability distribution.
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_function.

Thinking about the Gaussian here as a probability makes sense (it also makes the second part of the problem much easier!)

I will check out the link you sent after my kiddos go to bed! Thanks for all of your help!

Related to Map a one dimensional random walk to a two-state paramagnet

1. What is a one dimensional random walk?

A one dimensional random walk is a mathematical concept that models the movement of a particle in one direction, with each step being determined randomly. This can be visualized as a particle moving along a straight line, with each step being either to the left or right with equal probability.

2. What is a two-state paramagnet?

A two-state paramagnet is a physical system that can exist in one of two possible states, with each state having a different energy level. In the context of a random walk, this can be visualized as a particle that can exist in one of two positions along a line, with each position having a different energy level.

3. How are one dimensional random walks and two-state paramagnets related?

A one dimensional random walk can be mapped to a two-state paramagnet by assigning each step in the random walk to a state in the paramagnet. This allows us to study the behavior of the random walk using the principles and equations of paramagnetism.

4. What insights can be gained from mapping a random walk to a two-state paramagnet?

Mapping a random walk to a two-state paramagnet allows us to analyze the behavior of the random walk in terms of energy levels and transitions between states. This can provide insights into the overall behavior and patterns of the random walk, and can also be applied to other systems that exhibit similar behavior.

5. How is the mapping of a random walk to a two-state paramagnet useful in scientific research?

The mapping of a random walk to a two-state paramagnet can be useful in various fields of research, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems, and can also provide insights into the underlying principles and mechanisms at play in these systems.