Probability Midterm Question: Fruit row counting

In summary, there are 10! permutations of 10 different fruits, out of which 2!9! involve the apples and oranges being together and 8!2!2! involve the pears and peaches being together. Therefore, the number of ways to organize the fruits in a row where the apples and oranges are together and the pears and peaches are not together is given by (10! - 2!9!) + (8!2!2!) = 10!/4.
DrAlexMV

Homework Statement

You have 10 pieces of fruits of which 1 is an orange, 1 is an apple, 1 is a pear, and 1 is a peach. How many ways are there to organize them in a row if the apples and oranges must be together and the pears and peaches cannot be together.

Homework Equations

Mostly factorials

The Attempt at a Solution

Total permutations = 10!
Ways oranges and apples are together = 2!9!
Ways peaches and pears cannot be together = 10! - 2!9!

Unfortunately, I did not know how to combine them so in a futile attempt to get credit I stated:

(10! - 2!9! + 2!9!)/(2!2!) = 10!/4

I am darn sure this is wrong. Could somebody enlighten me for the next time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you calculate the number of configurations where the apple and orange are together and the peach and the pear are together?

^ 8!2!2!

Right?

Agreed. So if you know how many configurations satisfy one constraint, and how many configurations satisfy that constraint but violate the second, what's the number you are looking for?

Edit: by the way, the question is not explicit on the point, but you appear to be assuming that the other six fruits are distinguishable - not all bananas, or something.

I am actually not sure how to combine these without counting things more twice. Could you aid me through that?

I suspect that the point you are missing is that the 8!2!2! are a subset of the 9!2!. Think of it this way - write every possible configuration on 10! pieces of paper, one per piece. Then split that pile in two according to whether or not the apple and orange are together. Then split the pile where they are together by whether or not the peach and pear are together. You know how many there were before that second split, and you know how many are in the wrong pile after. How many are in the right pile?

Related to Probability Midterm Question: Fruit row counting

1. What is the purpose of the "Fruit row counting" question on the Probability midterm?

The purpose of the "Fruit row counting" question is to test your understanding of basic probability principles, such as sample space, outcomes, and counting techniques.

2. How can I approach solving the "Fruit row counting" question?

To solve the "Fruit row counting" question, you should start by listing all the possible outcomes and determining the sample space. Then, use combinatorial principles such as permutations or combinations to calculate the number of desired outcomes.

3. Are there any specific formulas or equations that I need to know for the "Fruit row counting" question?

Yes, you should be familiar with basic formulas for calculating permutations and combinations, as well as the rule of multiplication and addition for counting techniques.

4. Can I use a calculator for the "Fruit row counting" question?

It depends on the specific instructions given for the question. In some cases, you may be allowed to use a calculator, while in others, you will need to demonstrate your understanding of counting techniques without one.

5. What is the best way to prepare for the "Fruit row counting" question on the Probability midterm?

To prepare for the "Fruit row counting" question, you should review the basic principles of probability, such as sample space, outcomes, and counting techniques. You can also practice similar problems to improve your understanding and speed in solving them.