Counting the number of set-subset pairs within H

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the number of subsets in a given set with certain conditions. The solution involves counting the number of possible subsets and using the formula for combinations. It is concluded that there are 3^10 ways to choose the subsets.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##H=\{1,2,3,\dots , 10\}##. Determine the following number: ## \#([G,F];G\subseteq F \subseteq H)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my reasoning. If ##G=\emptyset##, there are ##2^{10}## ways to choose ##F##, so ##\binom{10}{0}2^{10}## total. If ##|G|=1##, there are ##2^9## ways to choose ##F##, so ##\binom{10}{1}2^9## ways total. And so on, until ##|G|=10##, so there is only one way to choose ##F##, and so ##\binom{10}{10}\cdot 1## ways in total.

These are are disjoint cases, so we sum them up: $$\sum_{k=0}^{10}\binom{10}{10-k}2^{k} = \sum_{k=0}^{10}\binom{10}{k}2^{k} = 3^{10}$$.

Does this all look like the correct reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not clear to me if the ordering is relevant. If not, your 210 shrinks to 20...:rolleyes:

BvU said:
Not clear to me if the ordering is relevant. If not, your 210 shrinks to 20...:rolleyes:
Could you elaborate? In my solution ##2^{10}## is how many subsets of ##H## there are. Order is not relevant because we're just forming subsets, I believe.

My bad, it looks like the total number is staggering indeed...

Mr Davis 97 said:
Does this all look like the correct reasoning?

You can also count your ##3^{10}## directly. The sets ##G\subseteq F \subseteq H## can be identified by assigning a status to each element of ##H##. It can be either i) only in ##H##, ii) in ##F## and ##H## but not in ##G## or ii) in all three sets. That's three possibilities for each element of ##H##. Hence ##3^{10}## ways.

Related to Counting the number of set-subset pairs within H

1. How do you define a set and subset in the context of counting within H?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, while a subset is a set that contains elements from another set. In the context of counting within H, a set can be represented as a group of elements within the set H, and a subset can be represented as a smaller group of elements within the set H.

2. Why is it important to count the number of set-subset pairs within H?

Counting the number of set-subset pairs within H can provide valuable information about the relationships between different sets within H. It can also help in understanding the structure and complexity of H, which can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and data analysis.

3. What is the process for counting the number of set-subset pairs within H?

The process for counting the number of set-subset pairs within H involves identifying all the sets and subsets within H, and then determining the number of possible combinations between them. This can be done by using mathematical formulas or by manually counting the pairs.

4. Can the number of set-subset pairs within H change over time?

Yes, the number of set-subset pairs within H can change over time if the elements within H are modified or new elements are added. For example, if a new set is created within H, it will potentially increase the number of set-subset pairs within H.

5. How can the number of set-subset pairs within H be used in real-world applications?

The number of set-subset pairs within H can be used in various real-world applications such as data analysis, network analysis, and decision-making processes. It can also be used in fields such as genetics, where sets and subsets are used to represent genetic traits and relationships between different organisms.