Probabilities for degenerate eigenvalues?

In summary: Instead, by squaring the individual amplitudes first, you ensure that all probabilities are positive and the sum is always 1. This is important in determining the overall probability of getting a certain result in a measurement. In summary, in non-relativistic QM, the measurement probability for a degenerate eigenvalue is computed by squaring the absolute values of the amplitudes of the components belonging to the subspace and summing them. This ensures that all probabilities are positive and the sum is always 1, which is necessary for determining the overall probability of getting a certain result in a measurement.
LarryS
Gold Member
In non-relativistic QM, given a wave function that has a degenerate eigenvalue for some observable, say energy. There is a whole subspace of eigenvectors associated with that single degenerate eigenvalue. How is the measurement probability for that degenerate eigenvalue computed from the eigenvectors in the subspace?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the sum of the squared absolute values of the amplitudes of the components belonging to that subspace. After the measurement, if you got that degenerate eigenvalue as a result, the state has collapsed to its projection on that eigen-subspace.

In more precise terms, if the system is in state ##\left|\right.\psi\left.\right>## and the degenerate eigenstates with eigenvalue ##\lambda## are denoted by ##\left|\right.\phi_i \left.\right>##, the probability of getting result ##\lambda## in a measurement is

##P(\lambda ) = \sum\limits_i |\left<\phi_i \left|\right. \psi\right>|^2##,

and the state after getting that result is

##\sum\limits_i \left<\phi_i \left|\right. \psi\right>\left|\right.\phi_i \left.\right>##.

Likes LarryS
hilbert2 said:
It's the sum of the squared absolute values of the amplitudes of the components belonging to that subspace. After the measurement, if you got that degenerate eigenvalue as a result, the state has collapsed to its projection on that eigen-subspace.

In more precise terms, if the system is in state ##\left|\right.\psi\left.\right>## and the degenerate eigenstates with eigenvalue ##\lambda## are denoted by ##\left|\right.\phi_i \left.\right>##, the probability of getting result ##\lambda## in a measurement is

##P(\lambda ) = \sum\limits_i |\left<\phi_i \left|\right. \psi\right>|^2##,

and the state after getting that result is

##\sum\limits_i \left<\phi_i \left|\right. \psi\right>\left|\right.\phi_i \left.\right>##.

Ok, thanks.

I find it interesting that the individual amplitudes for the eigenstates in the subspace are squared before they are summed. Normally, in QM, if you are given all the different ways something can happen (an eigenvalue can be measured), you add the individual amplitudes first and then square the sum to get the final probability.

referframe said:
Normally, in QM, if you are given all the different ways something can happen (an eigenvalue can be measured), you add the individual amplitudes first and then square the sum to get the final probability.

If you do that in this case, you can have zero probability for some result despite some of the corresponding amplitudes being nonzero, and then the sum of all probabilities would not be 1.

Related to Probabilities for degenerate eigenvalues?

1. What are degenerate eigenvalues?

Degenerate eigenvalues are multiple eigenvalues that have the same value. In other words, they are eigenvalues that correspond to more than one eigenvector.

2. How are probabilities for degenerate eigenvalues calculated?

The probabilities for degenerate eigenvalues can be calculated by using the diagonal elements of the projection operator onto the degenerate eigenspace. This is known as the projection postulate and is based on the concept of quantum measurement.

3. What is the significance of degenerate eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, degenerate eigenvalues indicate that there are multiple ways for a system to have the same energy. This can have important implications for the behavior of the system, such as the possibility of multiple states having the same energy.

4. Can degenerate eigenvalues ever be avoided?

In some cases, it is possible to avoid degenerate eigenvalues by introducing small perturbations to the system. However, in many cases, degeneracy is an inherent property of the system and cannot be avoided.

5. How do degenerate eigenvalues affect the accuracy of quantum mechanical calculations?

Degenerate eigenvalues can make quantum mechanical calculations more complex and can lead to difficulties in accurately predicting the behavior of a system. However, with proper techniques and algorithms, it is possible to accurately account for degenerate eigenvalues in calculations.