Preview Overlay Closing Problem

• Thread starter SteamKing
  • Start date
In summary, when someone replies to a thread, the original thread display is lost and the reply composition must be retrieved using the back button.
SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've noticed a problem which has cropped up in the last few days.

When I Reply to a thread, I generally compose my answer and hit the Preview button to check my work before I hit the Post button.

Everything used to work fine. Now, although the Preview Box opens and I can see my post as it would display, when I close the Preview window, I lose the original thread display, which is replaced with the PF Black Hole page.

In order to retrieve the original thread, I must hit the Back Button on my browser (FireFox 35.0.1 under Windows 7 Home Premium) in order to return to the original thread. My reply composition is still saved, however, and I can then retrieve it and post, and everything appears to work normally from that point.

Can someone take a look at this, please? It's very annoying.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using Internet Explorer, I do not reproduce your problem.

Round up the usual suspects. Re-boot. Clear your browser history, your cookies, etc. Refresh the page.

I can reproduce this. It happens when you click the (X) to close. In the meantime, don't click the (X) in the top right to close the overlay. You can just click off the overlay and it will close without the faulty redirect. Thanks for reporting this.

OK, Thanks Greg. Your solution works.

SteamKing said:
OK, Thanks Greg. Your solution works.
Working on a fix for the proper close. Will update when done.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Working on a fix for the proper close. Will update when done.
Thanks, Greg.

Great!

Just found this thread. I noticed this bug some time ago also. Glad to see that it will be fixed soon. Thanks Greg! :woot:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Should be fixed now
Apparently it is. I tried it earlier in the day Monday. :smile:

Nice caterpillar green background on the ToolBar. :biggrin:

SteamKing said:
Nice caterpillar green background on the ToolBar. :biggrin:
Thanks! Still tweaking it. Not to bright?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks! Still tweaking it. Not to bright?
No. I find it OK.

Related to Preview Overlay Closing Problem

1. What is the "Preview Overlay Closing Problem"?

The "Preview Overlay Closing Problem" refers to an issue where the preview overlay, which allows users to see a preview of a document or file before opening it, closes unexpectedly or fails to close when prompted.

2. What causes the "Preview Overlay Closing Problem"?

The "Preview Overlay Closing Problem" can be caused by a variety of factors, such as bugs in the software, conflicting programs or extensions, or corrupted system files.

3. How does the "Preview Overlay Closing Problem" affect users?

The "Preview Overlay Closing Problem" can be frustrating for users as it interrupts their workflow and may prevent them from accessing important documents or files. It can also cause confusion and waste time as users try to troubleshoot the issue.

4. How can the "Preview Overlay Closing Problem" be fixed?

The solution to the "Preview Overlay Closing Problem" will vary depending on the cause. Some potential solutions include updating the software, disabling conflicting programs or extensions, or repairing corrupted system files. It may also be helpful to clear the cache and cookies in the browser if the issue occurs while previewing online files.

5. How can the "Preview Overlay Closing Problem" be prevented?

To prevent the "Preview Overlay Closing Problem", it is important to regularly update the software and run regular virus scans to ensure there are no conflicting programs or malware causing the issue. It may also be helpful to avoid opening too many files or programs at once, as this can overload the system and cause unexpected issues.