Problems with posting, Firefox

• Thread starter alan2
  • Start date
In summary: I have not experienced the problem that you describe. However, I have been using Firefox for a much longer time and I am not as fast as the younger generation. Change IS hard.
alan2
If anyone can help or direct me to where this has been answered I would appreciate it. I've had problems since the new website came online. Win7 Pro running Firefox, all current. All of the buttons (are they called radio buttons or something else?) are just silhouettes and I have to scroll over them to figure out what they are. It happens all over the website, not just when posting. I also can't quote another post in my reply. I don't want to use a different browser. Do I need some special fonts or is there some other trick? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also use FireFox (34.0.05) under Win 7 Pro (6.1 SP1), all current, and have no problems. I suspect the issue is not with this forum but with something in your system configuration. Do you get at all other web sites OK?

phinds said:
I also use FireFox under Win 7 Pro, all current, and have no problems. I suspect the issue is not with this forum but with something in your system configuration. Do you get at all other web sites OK?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I figured it out, it was a font problem. I had to allow the website to choose its own font instead of using the default preferences.

Of course, now all my other websites look different.

alan2 said:
Of course, now all my other websites look different.
Don't know why they should, but I'm not sure just what you mean. I go to a LOT of web sites and have no issues. Some of them set their own font types most don't.

phinds said:
Don't know why they should, but I'm not sure just what you mean. I go to a LOT of web sites and have no issues. Some of them set their own font types most don't.

Oh, by default Firefox chooses a set of fonts for display (it did for me). Regardless of the font used on the website, Firefox will default to your chosen fonts. The problem occurs when a character displayed by the website does not exist in your font set. Apparently, websites that I frequent have been converted to my default fonts (that's why they all look so similar). Now that I have allowed websites to choose their own font many of them look different. If you're curious, go to menu>options>content>fonts>advanced. Deselect "allow pages to choose" and see what happens.

Ah, I see. I already had it at "allow sites ..."

Anybody else having a recently acquired quirk:

When i "preview" a reply that's more than about 3 inches tall i cannot scroll down to see the bottom part of it.

And i can't put a multiquote from a thread into a conversation(under 'inbox') about that thread...

and those pesky dropdown butons at top continually pop down covering what I'm doing - can they be set to require maybe a half second hold before they appear , or to disappear after a few seconds??

i'm just grumpy today...

jim hardy said:
and those pesky dropdown butons at top continually pop down covering what I'm doing - can they be set to require maybe a half second hold before they appear , or to disappear after a few seconds??
Jim, this is a persistent problem that I reported almost as soon as PF 4.0 went live and it has never been fixed. Damned things can be nearly impossible to get rid of but they DO eventually go away if you click on enough stuff and cuss loudly enough. This I know from considerable experience.

Thanks ---- it's not just me ?

jim hardy said:
Hey Jim. This is the reasoning from The Man.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/have-a-problem-read-this-first.771872/page-5#post-4859564
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/have-a-problem-read-this-first.771872/page-9#post-4869526

jim hardy said:
When i "preview" a reply that's more than about 3 inches tall i cannot scroll down to see the bottom part of it.

There is a way but I can't remember or find the post Greg made about this.

Thanks don

guess I'm just awkward

seems every time i swipe the doggone touchpad it opens one of those menus. Not so bad with the mouse.

[grumpy old man icon]

Likes dlgoff
jim hardy said:
[grumpy old man icon]
I'm with you on this. I think Greg may have a delay built in(?). I guess we need to realize that the young folks' hands are much faster than ours and have more experience using these methods. Change IS hard as I've come to learn. :oldfrown:

BTW When some of my computer illiterate friends ask for help, I always refuse unless they provide a mouse.

Likes jim hardy
Hey Don - did he tweak the trigger-pull for those drop-downs ?

seems to be much better this morning

but that's my subjective "feel" how's yours doing ?

if so ---- THANKS GREG!

jim hardy said:
but that's my subjective "feel" how's yours doing ?
Maybe a few milliseconds, but that may be a subjective empathy feeling. I think Greg is still on vacation.

Related to Problems with posting, Firefox

1. What could be causing my Firefox browser to have trouble posting on certain websites?

There could be several reasons for this issue, including outdated browser software, conflicting browser extensions or add-ons, or a temporary issue with the website itself. It is recommended to try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, disabling any extensions, and updating to the latest version of Firefox.

2. Why am I getting error messages when trying to post on a website using Firefox?

This could be due to a variety of factors, such as a weak internet connection, server issues with the website, or incorrect login credentials. Try refreshing the page, checking your internet connection, and double-checking your login information. If the problem persists, it may be worth contacting the website's support team for further assistance.

3. How can I fix the issue of my posts not showing up after I submit them on Firefox?

This could be a problem with the website's server or database, or it could be a browser issue. Try refreshing the page, clearing your browser's cache and cookies, and restarting your browser. If the issue continues, it may be best to reach out to the website's support team for help.

4. Is there a problem with Firefox's compatibility with certain websites for posting?

While Firefox is a highly compatible browser, there may be some websites that are optimized for other browsers and may have issues when using Firefox. If you are experiencing problems with posting on a specific website, it is recommended to try using a different browser to see if the issue persists.

5. How can I prevent future posting issues on Firefox?

To avoid any potential problems with posting on Firefox, it is important to keep your browser and extensions up to date, clear your cache and cookies regularly, and make sure your internet connection is stable. It may also be helpful to try using different browsers to see which one works best for the specific website you are trying to post on.