Pressure on the Bottom of a tank

In summary: If the tank is full, the weight of water above that level is the same regardless of direction. The force at the sides is the same as the force at the bottom. In summary, the water force on the bottom of a lobster tank in a restaurant with dimensions 8 ft by 7 ft by 2 ft and water density of 62.4 lb/ft3 can be found using the equation Force = density * gravity * height * area. For the four sides, the total force can be found by integrating the weight of water above each point, which is 64.2(2-z)(dz) for a strip at height z. Gravity is not a factor for the sideways force as the weight of water above
marc017

Homework Statement

A lobster tank in a restaurant is 8 ft long by 7 ft wide by 2 ft deep. Find the water force on the bottom and on each of the four sides. The density of water is 62.4 lb/ft3.

Homework Equations

Pressure = density * gravity * height
Force = Pressure * Area

The Attempt at a Solution

Force on the bottom = density * gravity * height * area
= 62.4g(2)(56)

It is asking for the Force in Lb
In my book we used integrals for this type of problem but I don't see the point..

I'm trying to put the answer in webassign.

For the sides would it be the same equation without gravity, as gravity is only in play in the up and down directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should review the difference between mass and weight to understand why you do not need to multiply by g if your units are in pounds.

For the sides you are going to need to do calculus (not terribly hard calculus, but calculus nonetheless). The water pressure pushes equally in ALL directions, including out to the sides. So there is force from the water on the sides of the lobster tank, and the amount of force in any small area of the tank is going to depend on the water pressure at the depth of that area

Office_Shredder said:
First, you should review the difference between mass and weight to understand why you do not need to multiply by g if your units are in pounds.

Ahh, yes. The notes I wrote down were throwing me off, they weren't in lbs like i was assuming.

marc017 said:

Homework Statement

A lobster tank in a restaurant is 8 ft long by 7 ft wide by 2 ft deep. Find the water force on the bottom and on each of the four sides. The density of water is 62.4 lb/ft3.

Homework Equations

Pressure = density * gravity * height
Force = Pressure * Area

The Attempt at a Solution

Force on the bottom = density * gravity * height * area
= 62.4g(2)(56)

It is asking for the Force in Lb
In my book we used integrals for this type of problem but I don't see the point..
There is no point if you are finding the total force on the bottom because the pressure at each point is the same. But if you want to find the total force on the sides, the pressure varies with depth. Imagine a thin strip across a side at a specific height, z, and thickness dz. The pressure is given by the height of water above that height. Since the 2 feet deep, the height of water above z is 2- z. The weight of water pressing down is 64.2(2- z)(dz). That's the force on that strip. To find the total force on the side, integrate that for z going from 0 to 2.

I'm trying to put the answer in webassign.

For the sides would it be the same equation without gravity, as gravity is only in play in the up and down directions?
"Without gravity" there would be no force! A fluid, such as a liquid or a gas, presses in all directions, not just up or down. The sideways force due to water at every point is exactly the same as the downward force, the density times the volume of water above that point.

Related to Pressure on the Bottom of a tank

1. What causes pressure on the bottom of a tank?

The pressure on the bottom of a tank is caused by the weight of the liquid or gas inside the tank. This weight creates a force that is exerted on the bottom of the tank, resulting in pressure.

2. How does the shape of a tank affect the pressure on the bottom?

The shape of a tank can affect the pressure on the bottom because it can change the distribution of weight and the surface area in contact with the liquid or gas. A taller tank will have more pressure at the bottom compared to a wider tank with the same volume of liquid or gas.

3. How does the depth of the liquid or gas in the tank affect the pressure on the bottom?

The depth of the liquid or gas in the tank directly affects the pressure on the bottom. The deeper the liquid or gas, the greater the weight and therefore the greater the pressure on the bottom of the tank.

4. What happens to the pressure on the bottom of a tank when the liquid or gas is removed?

As the liquid or gas is removed from the tank, the weight and pressure on the bottom decreases. However, the pressure may still remain due to the weight of the empty tank and any residual liquid or gas left in the tank.

5. Can the pressure on the bottom of a tank be measured?

Yes, the pressure on the bottom of a tank can be measured using a pressure gauge. This gauge will show the amount of force exerted on a unit area of the bottom of the tank, typically measured in units of pressure such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).