Calculating Force Exerted by Water on a Tilted Plate in a Tank

In summary, the conversation is about a midterm study guide question involving a semi-circular plate resting on its diameter and tilted at a 45 degree angle in a tank filled with water. The task is to find the force exerted by the water against one side of the plate. The equations and approach to solving the problem are discussed, with a focus on finding the area of the plate using the slicing method. The correct area of the slice is determined to be 10√2dy.
NoobDoingMath
Hi I have a midterm study guide question. This one has stumped me for a while and probably the only one undone.

Homework Statement

Suppose there is a semi-circular plate of radius 5 ft that rests on its
diameter and is tilted at 45 degree angle to the bottom of a tank lled with water to depth
6 feet. Find the force exerted by the water against one side of the plate. (The
weight-density of water is 62.4 lb=ft^3)

Homework Equations

So I'm reading the book and I know that to solve the problem Force is weight-density of water (62.4) times the depth (6-y) and the area.

Now the problem is I'm not quite sure how to approach the area. I just can't seem to grasp the image of the tank. Not to mention the 45 degree angle really confused my approach. I was under the assumption that its a 6ft tall cylinder with length 10ft and a plate on the bottom tilted at 45 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem seems simple, but I can't seem to figure out the 45 degree plate to find the area.

What i have is:

Integral from 0 to 6 of (62.4)(6-y)(area)

Now this is assuming that I approached this correctly.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi NoobDoingMath! Welcome to PF! :smile:
NoobDoingMath said:
What i have is:

Integral from 0 to 6 of (62.4)(6-y)(area)

Yes, that's basically correct.

You seem to be confused about the area …

I suggest in future you always use the slicing method.

In this case, slice the plate into horizontal slices of vertical distance dy …

then find the area of that slice (it'll be dy√2 times the width, won't it?) :wink:

Still a little bit confused, and I want to see if I'm understanding correctly. My "math English" isn't too good. :shy:

So √2 is a result of the 45-45-90 triangle right?
Therefore the slice is √2dy*width

The width is 10ft since its radius is 5 and the plate rest on its diameter?

Resulting my solution to be:

∫(62.4)(6-y)(10√2)dy a=0, b=6

My answer would become:

11232√2

Hi NoobDoingMath! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
NoobDoingMath said:
The width is 10ft since its radius is 5 and the plate rest on its diameter?

Nooo, you're not thinking straight. :redface:

Or, rather, you are thinking straight, and you should be thinking circular! :biggrin:

The width has to be the width of the slice

that's the whole point of slicing …

you add the area of each slice, and that depends on y, doesn't it? :wink:

Try again! :smile:

Related to Calculating Force Exerted by Water on a Tilted Plate in a Tank

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. It is caused by the random motion of molecules within the fluid and is dependent on the density and depth of the fluid.

2. How is fluid pressure calculated?

Fluid pressure can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid.

3. What factors affect fluid pressure?

The factors that affect fluid pressure include the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and size of the container holding the fluid can also affect the pressure.

4. How does fluid pressure change with depth?

Fluid pressure increases with depth. This is because the weight of the fluid above a certain depth increases with depth, resulting in a greater force per unit area being exerted on the bottom of the container.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is used in many practical applications, such as hydraulic systems, scuba diving, and weather forecasting. It is also important in understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes, pumps, and other industrial machinery.