Present for favorite professor

• Thread starter skate_nerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary, the speaker is asking for gift ideas for their physics professor who has written them a letter of recommendation and has a comedic teaching style. Suggestions include a magic trick or a Hermione Magic wand from Harry Potter that could be incorporated into lectures. The speaker also mentions being mindful of the teacher's cultural sensitivity when choosing a gift.
skate_nerd
Not really sure if this topic belongs here...but anyways, I am getting my physics degree soon and I want to get my favorite physics professor a gift before I go off to grad school. She wrote me a letter of rec and I took 5 classes with her, so she definitely deserves it. She practically does stand up physics comedy in every lecture so a silly physics present idea would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a magic trick? Something she could use in her comedy.

Or a Hermione Magic wand from Harry Potter. She could use it to point out things in her lectures as well as cast spells on students.

Also it shouldn't be too expensive as that can make the teacher feel uncomfortable and depending on the teacher you might need to be culturally sensitive in what you give such as the clock giving incident in Taiwan recently.

Last edited:

Related to Present for favorite professor

1. What is an appropriate gift for my favorite professor?

An appropriate gift for your favorite professor depends on your relationship with them and their personal preferences. Some good options could be a book related to their field of study, a personalized desk accessory, or a gift card to a favorite restaurant or store.

2. Is it necessary to give a present to my professor?

Giving a present to your professor is not necessary, but it can be a nice gesture to show your appreciation for their guidance and support. If you are unsure, you can always write them a heartfelt thank you note instead.

3. Should I give a group gift or an individual gift?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and the dynamic of your class. If your class is close-knit and you want to show your appreciation as a group, a group gift can be a great option. However, if you have a more personal relationship with your professor, an individual gift may be more appropriate.

4. How much should I spend on a present for my favorite professor?

There is no set amount for how much you should spend on a gift for your favorite professor. It is more important to choose a thoughtful gift that you can afford. Remember, it is the gesture that counts, not the cost.

5. When is the best time to give a present to my professor?

The best time to give a present to your professor is at the end of the semester or academic year. This allows you to reflect on the impact they have had on your learning and express your gratitude before parting ways. However, if you have a specific occasion in mind, such as their birthday or a holiday, it is also appropriate to give a gift at that time.