Preparing for Classical Mechanics

In summary, the speaker is an EE student who plans on taking modern physics and classical mechanics. They have previously enrolled in a classical mechanics class but found it too difficult. They are seeking advice on how to best prepare for the class, considering their past struggles in mechanics and strong background in mathematics. Suggestions include practicing problems, finding a good introductory physics book, and using Taylor's classical mechanics textbook as a reference. Other recommended books include Hand and Finch, Arya's text, and Landau's text.
jesuslovesu
I'm an EE student and I am going to take modern physics next semester, and then would like to take classical mechanics. I was enrolled for about a half week in a classical mechanics class but it seemed really hardcore and I wasn't prepared for it. (The first homework problem was: Describe the motion of a perfectly flexible cable that falls off a table, what?)

My question is how to best prepare for this class? My previous classes in mechanics haven't been very good.

Should I read K&K's introduction to mechanics? Should I try to get through Classical Dynamics by Marion and Thornton by myself?

My preparation in mathematics should be good enough, I have taken Linear Algebra, Diff eq, Calc 3. Although I am a bit rusty on trig substitutions and performing the integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marion and Thornton is kind of crappy. I've never done K&K. If you can find Hand and Finch, that is my favorite.

If you're confident in math, you should practice as many problems as possible. If you're having trouble understanding the mechanical systems being described in the question, or hard time imagining what will happen to the system intuitively, or don't know how to start the problem by setting up coordinate system and reference frame and such, then I suggest get a good intro physics book and start solving problem there as many as possible.

In classical mechanics class, you will see many of the same problems that you encounter in intro courses but only with much rigor or different formulation of mechanics.

I agree with above comment: In my opinion, M&T doesn't explain much of what they do and why they do it.

If you're don't want to go back and solve intro physics problems but must start by reading upper level course textbook I strongly suggest Taylor's classical mechanics. His book is twice thicker than M&T but he's friendly approach reminds me of Griffith's EM. This book is almost like a spoon fed. It will explain almost every step it takes.

Last edited:
when i was taking classical mechanics, we were assigned M&T. Naturally, everyone hated that book and you would see practically everyone with some different book. I found an old copy of Arya's text in my school library and used that. Later in the course, once lagrangians are came into play, i used landau. Now whenever i need to look something up, i simply read taylor, so out of all these books, id say you can't lose with taylor.

Related to Preparing for Classical Mechanics

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as planets, cars, and balls. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the relationship between forces acting on an object and its resulting motion.

Why is it important to prepare for classical mechanics?

Understanding classical mechanics is crucial for understanding the physical world around us. It forms the basis for many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and astronomy.

What are some key concepts to focus on when preparing for classical mechanics?

Some key concepts in classical mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, projectile motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and circular motion. It is also important to have a strong understanding of vectors and vector operations.

What are some useful tools for studying classical mechanics?

Some useful tools for studying classical mechanics include mathematical techniques such as calculus and vector algebra. Computer simulations and modeling can also be helpful in visualizing and understanding complex concepts. Physical objects like pendulums and pulleys can also be used for hands-on experimentation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying classical mechanics?

One common mistake is relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the underlying principles. It is also important to pay attention to units and always double check calculations. Additionally, it can be helpful to work through problems step by step, rather than trying to find shortcuts.