Preparing for Calc 2: What Topics Should I Review?

• Thread starter JoshHolloway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 2
In summary: systems of linear equations systems of nonlinear equations partial differential equations
JoshHolloway
Hello all. I am currently attending a community colleges Analytic Geometry and Calculus 1 course, and have just been accepted to a University for the fall. My question is do you all think that I will be ready for calc 2, or should I retake calc 1? I am doing pretty good in calc 1, but I am worried that we will not cover all of the material that would be covered at a university level calc 1 course. I spoke with the advisor of the engineering department at the university and she said calc 2 at this school begins with series. Calc 1 at the community college will end with the introduction of integration. The advisor said she thinks that I would be ready though, but I am not sure. Here is a complete list of the sections we have and will cover in calc 1 at the community college:
Finding Limits Graphically an Numerically
Evaluating LImists Anylically
Continuity and One-Sided Limits
Infinite Limits
The Derivative and the Tangent Line Problem
Basic Differentiation Rules and Rates of Change
THe Product and Quotient Rules and Higher Order Derivatives
The Chain Rule
Implicit Differentiation
Related Rates
Extrema on an Interval
Rolle's Theorum and the Mean Value Theorum
Increasing and Decreasing Functions and the First Derivative Test
Concavity and the Second Derivative Test
Limits at Infinity
A Summary of Curve Sketching
Optimization Problems
Newton's Method
Differentials
Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integration
Area
Rieman Sums and Definite Integration
The Fundamental Theorum of Calculus
Integration by Substitution
Nemerical Integration
The Natuaral Logarithmic Function: Differentiation
The Natuaral Logarithmic Function: Integration
Inverse Functions
Exponential Functions: Differentiation and Integration
Bases other than e and Applications

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you feel comfortable with the material, you will be fine. Calc II is basically calculus one with more advanced integration topics, and sequences and series. I really found Calc II no harder than Calc I. So that's my advice.

Should I erase this thread and put it in the Acedemic and Career Guidance forum? I forgot that this forum existed. This seems more apropriate. How do I go about doing this?

You'll be fine for Calc. II. Go for it.

Do you really think so. I am extemely concerned that I will not be ready.

JoshHolloway said:
Should I erase this thread and put it in the Acedemic and Career Guidance forum? I forgot that this forum existed. This seems more apropriate. How do I go about doing this?

One of the moderators will have to move it. You can PM one of them.

JoshHolloway said:
Do you really think so. I am extemely concerned that I will not be ready.
If you understood Calc. I this will not be a problem. Courses at different schools cover different topics, courses at the same school cover different topics. This is not a reason to repeat a course you have understood. If the choice of topics is a concern try to find out what Calc. I at the new school covered and study any thing you do not know on your own. Also some of the topics your course omitted may not be used subsequently, so if there is a time crunch those topics can be studied later for your own knowlege. If you cannot find out what topics you may have missed, you could take a worst case approch and study all topics that may be covered in Calc. 1 except series (as you have been told they were not). These may include
Trigonometric functions
Hyperbolic functions
Le Hopitals rule
Classification of indeterminate forms
Integation methods
by parts
repeated use
solving for desired integral
special substitutions
trig sub
hyp sub
logarithmic forms
partial fractions
repeated factors
x^2+a^2 forms
cover up method
Applications
differentiation
related rates
optimization
integration
work
area/volume/centroid/moment of inertia
Differential equations
Seperation of variables
applications
general and particular solutions

Related to Preparing for Calc 2: What Topics Should I Review?

1. What is "Ready for Calc 2?"

"Ready for Calc 2?" is a study program designed to prepare students for success in Calculus 2. It covers key concepts and skills from Calculus 1 that are necessary for understanding more advanced topics in Calculus 2.

2. Who is "Ready for Calc 2?" for?

"Ready for Calc 2?" is designed for students who have completed Calculus 1 and are planning to take Calculus 2. It is also useful for students who may have taken Calculus 1 in the past and need a refresher before taking Calculus 2.

3. What topics are covered in "Ready for Calc 2?"

"Ready for Calc 2?" covers topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals from Calculus 1. It also includes practice problems and examples to help reinforce these concepts.

4. How long does it take to complete "Ready for Calc 2?"

The time it takes to complete "Ready for Calc 2?" may vary depending on the individual student's pace. However, it is designed to be completed in a few weeks, with regular practice and study sessions.

5. How can "Ready for Calc 2?" help me succeed in Calculus 2?

"Ready for Calc 2?" provides a solid foundation in key concepts and skills from Calculus 1, which are necessary for understanding more advanced topics in Calculus 2. By completing this program, students can feel more confident and better prepared for success in Calculus 2.