Teaching Differential Calculus as the Limit of Discrete Calculus

jambaugh
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm teaching Calc I. this semester and we're now covering the derivatives of power function and exponential functions as well as the basic rules, e.g. linearity and product rule. Some years back I ran across an exposition of umbral calculus in the appendix of a reference. I cannot help but wonder if it would be useful for my students to be shown the discrete versions of the basic differential formulas and then to take one big whopping limit of everything to derive the corresponding derivative formulas:

Specifically...

We define the finite difference and the difference quotient of a function for some fixed non-zero parameter [itex]h[/itex] as...
[tex] \Delta f(x) = f(x+h)-f(x)[/tex] For the identity function in particular: [itex] \Delta x = h[/itex]
Then the difference quotient is:[tex]\frac{\Delta f(x)}{\Delta x} = \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
We then define the "preternatural" (any ideas on a better name?) base [itex] \tilde{e} = (1+h)^{1/h}[/itex]
and the [itex]n^{th}[/itex]-degree polynomials (generalized powers):[tex] p_n(x,h) = x(x-h)(x-2h)\cdots (x-nh+h)[/tex]
and for [itex] n<0[/itex] the rational functions: [tex]p_n(x) = \frac{1}{(x+h)(x+2h)\cdots (x-nh)}[/tex]

The idea is to show the usual derivative formulas, but for the difference quotients:
[tex] \frac{\Delta \tilde{e}^x}{\Delta x} = \tilde{e}^x \quad \text{ and } \quad \frac{\Delta p_n(x)}{\Delta x} = n p_{n-1}(x)[/tex] we also have a product rule:
[tex]\frac{\Delta [u\cdot v]}{\Delta x} = \frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}\cdot v + u \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta x} + h\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta x}[/tex]

Then "in the limit as [itex]h\to 0[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{\Delta}{\Delta x}\to \frac{d}{dx}, \quad p_n(x,h)\to x^n,\quad \tilde{e}^x \to e^x[/tex]
And the power rule, product rule, and derivative of the exponential function all manifest.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone if they think this would be conceptually useful approach, or a horrible idea, or if there were any suggestions. At the very least I thought it might be a good undergraduate special topics course.

There are, further extensions as we can express the perturbed versions of any other analytic functions using the generalized powers in their usual power series expansion, e.g.[tex] \widetilde{\sin}(x) = p_1(x)-\frac{p_3(x)}{3!} + \frac{p_5(x)}{5!} + \cdots; \quad \frac{\Delta \widetilde{\sin}(x)}\Delta{x} = \widetilde{\cos}(x) [/tex]
Too much? Comments encouraged!

Likes jbergman
Science news on Phys.org
How is "just learning derivatives" taught now?

Some of this might be too much. I'm trying to remember when I first learned Calculus. I have not seen this Generalized form for polynomials pn(x,h) before. I'm not sure that I could take that for granted - especially as a student new to Calculus.

The power series came later when I learned them - using derivatives to derive them.

Just some thoughts.

Likes DaveE
I hated delta-epsilon proofs in early calculus for definitions of derivatives etc. As difficult as these concepts and proofs are, I think they are far more approachable than what you are proposing. For example, without the elemetary calculus, how do you motivate e = (1+h) to the (1+h) power? This is better left to a special projects course.
I see you as a interested and astute teacher, on how best to present material to students in novel ways. You are to be congratulated. However, in this case, I think this is best left to a higher math course.

Likes scottdave
I don't think this is a good approach because dragging the [itex]h[/itex] along longer makes the formulas more complicated.

If I wanted to introduce a discrete version of Calculus first, I would try what Donald Knuth calls "finite calculus" in his book "Concrete Mathematics" where he uses the simple difference operator [itex]\Delta f(x) = f(x+1) - f(x)[/itex]. He gets many interesting formulas but has a different goal. I'm not sure if this can really be made into an illuminating precursor to Calculus or if knowing Calculus is necessary to appreciate it.

In any case, Mathologer also has an interesting video on it which contains delightful analogies like [itex]2^n[/itex] corresponding to [itex]e^x[/itex]:

scottdave said:
How is "just learning derivatives" taught now?

Some of this might be too much. I'm trying to remember when I first learned Calculus. I have not seen this Generalized form for polynomials pn(x,h) before. I'm not sure that I could take that for granted - especially as a student new to Calculus.

The power series came later when I learned them - using derivatives to derive them.

Just some thoughts.
"just learning derivatives" in my course is, first the geometric definition as slope of tangent line on the graph of the function, then we do the limit of the difference quotient as the "formal definition". Then we start running through various properties an functions, e.g. linearity, product rule, powers exponentials....

As to "this might be too much", yes I think so for a conventional Calc. I course. But I think for an honors calculus series it would be within the student's grasp if the three course sequence is constructed appropriately. In my ambitious moments I fiddle with the idea of writing a textbook.

As for the "generalized derivative", see umbral calculus, falling (and rising) factorials, and Pochammer symbol. In most expositions the [itex] h = \Delta x[/itex] value is fixed at 1.

1. What is differential calculus?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change, slopes of curves, and optimization problems. It is used to study the behavior of functions and their derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

2. What is discrete calculus?

Discrete calculus is a type of calculus that deals with discrete and finite quantities, rather than continuous ones. It is used to study discrete functions and their differences, which represent the change in a function over a specific interval.

3. How is differential calculus related to discrete calculus?

Differential calculus is the limit of discrete calculus, meaning that as the intervals of a discrete function become smaller and smaller, the differences between the values of the function at each point become closer to the derivative of the function at that point. In other words, differential calculus is the continuous version of discrete calculus.

4. Why is it important to teach differential calculus as the limit of discrete calculus?

Teaching differential calculus as the limit of discrete calculus helps students understand the foundations and connections between the two branches of calculus. It also allows for a better understanding of the concepts and applications of differential calculus, as students can see how it builds upon the principles of discrete calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of teaching differential calculus as the limit of discrete calculus?

Differential calculus as the limit of discrete calculus is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, optimization problems, and financial markets. It is also crucial in developing algorithms and computer programs for data analysis and machine learning.