Predicting the top contenders for the upcoming Euro tournament

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Upcoming
In summary, Zinedine Zidane is retired, England did not qualify for the Euro tournament, Ronaldo and Quaresma are the stars of Portugal, Germany and Italy respectively, and Adrian Mutu was just busted for cocaine and fined $20 million.
They're playing a very Brazilian game where it's a bit desperate at the back at times but they have so many easy goals at the front. Long may it continue. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, the Dutch were good. I guessed at 4-1 Holland as well as predicting correctly the portugal/czech rep score the other night. I should start betting on these games!

Another fantastic game by the Dutch. Who would've expected Italy and France to tie for last place in the group?!

On the flipside, Ribery is really showing a lot of talent and skill. He has what it takes to go a long way.

Andre said:
The Netherlands - France 4 - 1

Wow! The Dutch seem to be in great form in this cup...France seemed shaky from the beginning of the Cup.

Reshma said:
Wow! The Dutch seem to be in great form in this cup...France seemed shaky from the beginning of the Cup.

France were much improved in the match with the Netherlands as well.

Wow! That was an exciting finish for Spain. They deserved it.

The Turkey-Czech game looked intense! I have no idea why it wasn't shown live in Ontario... Instead we had to suffer through the pointless Portugal-Swiss game.

An even more exciting finish for Turkey. Wow! What a stupid red card at the end (not undeserved; a stupid thing to do). Turkey will be in big trouble in the next round with the suspensions from this game.

That Spain game was amazing!

My wife and I started watching the Turkey-Czech game at the beginning of the second half, and we were both cheering for Turkey. When they went down two goals, my wife lost hope, and she started doing housework. She missed all of Turkey's goals.

George Jones said:
My wife and I started watching the Turkey-Czech game at the beginning of the second half, and we were both cheering for Turkey. When they went down two goals, my wife lost hope, and she started doing housework. She missed all of Turkey's goals.

It was one of the games of the tournament so far with a lot riding on the match for both teams. The Czechs really handed that game away though. Well done turkey.

turkey-czech game 2nd half was some of the best football, and most exciting to watch, that I have watched in a long time

I am thinking that women don't watch football

Adieu les Bleus!

morphism said:
Adieu les Bleus!

Shame really.. I quite fancied Romania going through!

Not with the Dutch on the form they are.

Kurdt said:
Not with the Dutch on the form they are.

Yea.. I was quite amazed that they won by putting out their weaker side.

For those who saw France vs. Italy...do you think the red card for Abidal is fair?

AhmedEzz said:
For those who saw France vs. Italy...do you think the red card for Abidal is fair?

Yes. Once you give a penalty there, the red card is automatic, since he was the last defender and the striker had a goal scoring opportunity.

Abidal was the last man and definitely interfered with Toni's chance of scoring so that is an automatic red.

But in some cases, the yellow is shown...some thought it was a bit severe from the ref's part. BTW, who else thinks that the French coach is lame?

While its true that some yellows have been shown in those circumstances, the rules are clear that if the last man denies a goal soring opportunity then it should be a straight red.

I agree with red card. Disagree w/ Domenech being lame.
I think he needs to make more of his young talent. this is the end of an era for Les Bleus , however they have some incredible young talent in Nasri, Gomis and Benzema.
I hope those players can work to become as good as they possibly can and not sell out to a large contract to waste away on bench or reserve squad somewhere.

I definitely did not expect turkey to go through, props to them. I am excited for Port / Ger game as well as Spain / Italy (hope Spain annihilates them)

2-1 to germany (vs. portugal) at half-time. Very entertaining match.

I wouldn't have pegged Croatia to advance this far. Props to them

mgiddy911 said:
I wouldn't have pegged Croatia to advance this far. Props to them

I'd be more likely to have put my money on Croatia than Turkey!

cristo said:
I'd be more likely to have put my money on Croatia than Turkey!

In 2002 Turkey was very impressive. I'm not sure how they are this year, but recently those two national soccer teams seem to have comparable pedigrees.

Will extra time settle it?

George Jones said:
Will extra time settle it?

I don't think so, but the teams have been looking to make more chances in the last few minutes. Still, I do like a good penalty shootout, especially when I'm not supporting either of the teams!

Don't be surprised if Turkey sneak this. Really poor game though.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Don't be surprised if Turkey sneak this. Really poor game though.

Unbelievable finish.

Yes, they love leaving the entertainment until late.

Wow:bugeye:
That was just incredible!

Turkey is major underdog against Germany, look at all the (dare i say "key") players who are out.

Germany should dispatch them easily.