Pre-Calc and AP Physics in 11th Grade

In summary, if you are strong in math and can learn new things by yourself, you don't need to take calculus for AP Physics. If you are new to math, you should take a course in Calculus before taking the AP Physics.
iRaid
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct section, if not please move it.

I'm currently in 10th grade and I'm finishing up Algebra 2 this year. I'll be in Pre Calc in 11th grade and taking AP Physics. Is this enough math for me to be taking (I'm pretty strong in math and can learn new things by myself, but not really TOO hard). The problem is I'm scared that it might be too hard for me to take, but I looked over the class layout and the first half of the year seems really basic and things that I understand.

NOTE: I haven't taken physics... I've taken Biology and chemistry.

Please give me some advice on what to do over the summer to prepare me for this or should I switch out of it asap.

Please and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is AP Physics C, you will have no chance whatsoever because the course is calculus-based. If it is AP Physics B, you will be fine.

Yes it's AP Physics B, C would really kill me lol. I know there will be lots of trig in it, but is there a lot (or any) calculus? I understand basic principles of it, just it doesn't make complete sense to me.

Thanks for the response ;)

iRaid said:
Yes it's AP Physics B, C would really kill me lol. I know there will be lots of trig in it, but is there a lot (or any) calculus? I understand basic principles of it, just it doesn't make complete sense to me.

Thanks for the response ;)

There is calculus involved, but if you take calculus or have taken it, it will make it a lot easier.

Like I said I'll be taking pre calc. Are there like only limits involved or are there derivatives and integrals?

iRaid said:
Like I said I'll be taking pre calc. Are there like only limits involved or are there derivatives and integrals?

I took Physics B last year (got a 5 on it too! Hooray!) and I can confidently say that you do not need to know Calculus to do well in the class. Does it help? Yes. Is it necessary? No.

The Physics B curriculum doesn't really use limits, derivatives, or integrals - as in, it does not use these mathematical tools in its equations. However, the concepts associated with the derivative are used (the "slope" of a velocity graph is its acceleration.) Still, it is at a very basic level. I was taking Pre-Cal when I took Physics B and it was fine.

zooxanthellae said:
I took Physics B last year (got a 5 on it too! Hooray!) and I can confidently say that you do not need to know Calculus to do well in the class. Does it help? Yes. Is it necessary? No.

The Physics B curriculum doesn't really use limits, derivatives, or integrals - as in, it does not use these mathematical tools in its equations. However, the concepts associated with the derivative are used (the "slope" of a velocity graph is its acceleration.) Still, it is at a very basic level. I was taking Pre-Cal when I took Physics B and it was fine.

That is very helpful and makes me much less nervous. I will just do the summer homework I get and continue on learning some calc so I have an easier time in AP calc (when I take it)

Thank you for the answer, it helped me A LOT.

Also; So you're saying that if I know some calc it can help me in which way?

iRaid said:
That is very helpful and makes me much less nervous. I will just do the summer homework I get and continue on learning some calc so I have an easier time in AP calc (when I take it)

Thank you for the answer, it helped me A LOT.

Also; So you're saying that if I know some calc it can help me in which way?

The only way I can think of is that it will be easier to grasp concepts like velocity and acceleration. It took me a little while to wrap my head around this because I hadn't taken Calculus, so this is one instance where Calculus would have helped. However, it's still not necessary.

I can't at the moment think of anything else in the B curriculum that would benefit from Calculus.

I know velocity and acceleration have something to do with derivatives, but yeah other than that I don't either.Thanks for the help.

Related to Pre-Calc and AP Physics in 11th Grade

1. What is the difference between Pre-Calc and AP Physics in 11th grade?

Pre-Calc is a math course that focuses on algebra, trigonometry, and other advanced math topics. AP Physics is a science course that covers topics such as mechanics, electricity, and magnetism. Pre-Calc is a prerequisite for AP Physics, but the two courses cover different subject areas.

2. Is it necessary to take both Pre-Calc and AP Physics in 11th grade?

It is not necessary to take both courses, but it is highly recommended for students who are interested in pursuing a career in science or engineering. Pre-Calc provides a strong foundation in math, which is essential for understanding the concepts in AP Physics. Taking both courses also shows colleges that a student is challenging themselves academically.

3. Can I take AP Physics without taking Pre-Calc?

In most cases, no. Pre-Calc is a prerequisite for AP Physics, meaning that students must complete Pre-Calc before enrolling in AP Physics. This is because the math concepts taught in Pre-Calc are necessary for understanding the physics concepts in AP Physics. However, some schools may offer an accelerated Pre-Calc course that covers the necessary math topics for AP Physics.

4. How should I prepare for Pre-Calc and AP Physics in 11th grade?

To prepare for these courses, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It may also be helpful to review basic physics concepts and familiarize yourself with the mathematical formulas used in physics. Additionally, practicing problems and completing practice exams can help you become more comfortable with the material.

5. What are the benefits of taking Pre-Calc and AP Physics in 11th grade?

Taking Pre-Calc and AP Physics in 11th grade can have many benefits. It can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as prepare you for college-level courses. These courses also look impressive on college applications and can potentially earn you college credit if you pass the AP exam. Additionally, taking these courses can help you explore potential career paths in science and engineering.