Electric Circuit Homework: Series vs. Parallel Light Bulbs

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of power, EMF (voltage), current, and resistance in relation to two light bulbs connected in series. The conversation also mentions the difference between connecting bulbs in parallel and series. It is recommended to find the resistance of each bulb and study the difference between parallel and series connections.
poskhare

Homework Statement

Two light bulbs are rated as 60 W and 75 W at 220 V. If these are connected in series to a source of 220 V, what will the power in each be? Assume a constant resistance for the light bulbs.

Homework Equations

W=VQ P=IV V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I was solving a similar question, which was dealing with bulbs connected in parallel. By dividing the work (W) by the Volt (V) I got the current (A), which seems a little strange to me since I thought I'd get the charge. Could anyone explain this please? (I then used V=IR and then P=IV to figure out the power dissipated) When it comes to light bulbs connected in series I don't know how to approach the problem or what differs between the bulbs that are connected in series and those that are connected in parallel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello poskhare,

Welcome to physics Forums!
poskhare said:
I was solving a similar question, which was dealing with bulbs connected in parallel. By dividing the work (W) by the Volt (V) I got the current (A), which seems a little strange to me since I thought I'd get the charge. Could anyone explain this please?
But there isn't any 'work' value given in the problem. There are power values however: the 60 [W] and 75 [W].

Power is the time derivative of work. In other words, power is the change in energy per unit time.

So when you divide the power by the emf (a.k.a. voltage), you get the change in charge per unit time. Charge per unit time is current.

In summary, the important variables to this problem involve some or all of the following:

o Power, P (and two different values were given, one for each bulb). Power has units of Watts [W].
o EMF (sometimes called 'voltage'), V. Voltage has units of Volts [V].
o Current, I. Current has units of Amperes (sometimes abbreviated as 'Amps') [A].
o Resistance R. Resistance has units of Ohms [Ω].
(I then used V=IR and then P=IV to figure out the power dissipated) When it comes to light bulbs connected in series I don't know how to approach the problem or what differs between the bulbs that are connected in series and those that are connected in parallel.
My first recommendation is to find the resistance of each bulb, based on each bulbs rated power and rated voltage.

Then study the difference between putting resistors in parallel and putting them in series. It makes a difference. :wink:

Okay, now I get it. Thanks a lot!

Related to Electric Circuit Homework: Series vs. Parallel Light Bulbs

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel light bulb circuit?

A series circuit is when the light bulbs are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each bulb in order. A parallel circuit is when the light bulbs are connected side by side, so the current is divided among each bulb.

2. Which circuit is more efficient for lighting multiple bulbs?

A parallel circuit is more efficient for lighting multiple bulbs because each bulb receives the full voltage and there is less resistance, resulting in brighter and more evenly distributed light.

3. Can you mix series and parallel light bulb circuits?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel light bulb circuits. For example, you can have a series circuit with multiple parallel branches, or a parallel circuit with series connections within each branch.

4. How does the brightness of the bulbs differ in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the brightness of the bulbs decreases as more bulbs are added because the resistance increases and less current flows. In a parallel circuit, the brightness of the bulbs remains consistent as more bulbs are added because the current is divided among each bulb.

5. Which type of circuit is safer for lighting bulbs?

A parallel circuit is safer for lighting bulbs because if one bulb burns out, the rest of the bulbs will still receive power. In a series circuit, if one bulb burns out, the entire circuit will be broken and no bulbs will receive power.