Power Dissipation in a Resistor: How Does Resistance Affect Energy Loss?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between power, current, potential difference, and resistance in a circuit. It is mentioned that as the resistance increases, the potential difference and power also increase, but at a certain point, the power decreases due to the very small current. It is also suggested to consider both current and potential difference when analyzing the circuit and to use a mathematical expression to examine the power as a function of resistance.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

P=V2/R
P=I2R
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

As the resistance of R increases, the potential difference across R increases, so the power dissipated in R increases too. But I can't seem to see how the power decreases afterwards. Is it because, as time passes, the e.m.f of the battery dies out eventually?

Physics news on Phys.org
Power is a product of current and potential difference: P = IV. What happens to the potential and current as the external resistance gets very large? Can the potential across R increase indefinitely?

gneill said:
Power is a product of current and potential difference: P = IV. What happens to the potential and current as the external resistance gets very large? Can the potential across R increase indefinitely?
The current becomes very small and the potential gets larger. Hmm I'm confused on which quantity to look at to determine the power.. Because if current becomes too small, then according to P=IV, power will then decrease. But as resistance increase, potential difference increases too, and again according to P=IV , power will then increase..

Janiceleong26 said:
The current becomes very small and the potential gets larger. Hmm I'm confused on which quantity to look at to determine the power.. Because if current becomes too small, then according to P=IV, power will then decrease. But as resistance increase, potential difference increases too, and again according to P=IV , power will then increase..
Yes, you need to consider both quantities if you want to make a choice by logical deduction. Consider V and I when R is at the extremes of its values, say 0 Ω and ∞ Ω.

Alternatively, you can analyze the circuit and write an expression for the power as a function of R, then you can examine the curve mathematically.

gneill said:
Yes, you need to consider both quantities if you want to make a choice by logical deduction. Consider V and I when R is at the extremes of its values, say 0 Ω and ∞ Ω.

Alternatively, you can analyze the circuit and write an expression for the power as a function of R, then you can examine the curve mathematically.
I see.. So if R -> ∞ Ω, power decreases, as current decreases right? Ok I got the picture, thanks !

Related to Power Dissipation in a Resistor: How Does Resistance Affect Energy Loss?

What is power dissipation in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat when an electric current passes through a resistor. This heat is a result of the resistor's resistance to the flow of current.

How is power dissipation calculated in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that power (P) is equal to the product of voltage (V) and current (I). Therefore, the formula for power dissipation is P = V x I.

Why is power dissipation important in a resistor?

Power dissipation is important in a resistor because it determines the maximum amount of current that can safely flow through the resistor without causing damage. It also affects the efficiency and performance of the resistor in a circuit.

How does the power dissipated in a resistor affect its temperature?

The power dissipated in a resistor is directly proportional to its temperature. As more power is dissipated, the temperature of the resistor increases. This can lead to overheating and potentially damage the resistor or other components in the circuit.

What factors can affect the power dissipation in a resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be affected by several factors, including the resistance of the resistor, the voltage applied to it, and the ambient temperature. Higher resistance, voltage, or temperature can result in a higher power dissipation.