Potential Gravity Energy Question

In summary: What book are you using?Its a French Book, I go to a French High SchoolIts called Physique 12e, it was published in 2006.
MacMilla

Homework Statement

An athlete throws a basket ball in a net. He releases the ball at a height of 0.50m with a velocity of 9.0m/s. Calculate the velocity of the ball once it "slides" down the net. The net is at a height of 3.0m and at a distance of 5.0m from the athlete.

I attached the sketch of the problem.

Homework Equations

ET1 = ET2
Eg1 + Ec1 = Eg2 + Eg2

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh1 + mv1^2/2 = mgh2 + mv2^2/2
9.8 x 0.5 + 0.5x9^2 = 9.8 x 3 + 1/2V2^2
This is obviosly too simple, and doesn't give the right anwer.
So what should i do??

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

any help?

Have you presented the problem exactly as given? Assuming the data is correct, then your method should work fine.

MacMilla said:
He releases the ball at a height of 0.50m with a velocity of 9.0m/s.
Are you sure it doesn't say something like "at a height of 0.50m below the net"? That would match the diagram more closely.

the sketch is not to scale
but the ball is thrown at a height of 0.5m, it doesn't make much sense, but that's what the question says.

MacMilla said:
the sketch is not to scale
but the ball is thrown at a height of 0.5m, it doesn't make much sense, but that's what the question says.
In that case, your approach is correct. Assuming that "once it "slides" down the net" means when it passes through the net.

yes, but I haven't taken into consideration the 5m distance seperating the player from the net, therefore, what I have done is incorrect.

MacMilla said:
yes, but I haven't taken into consideration the 5m distance seperating the player from the net, therefore, what I have done is incorrect.
Assuming the problem is stated correctly, that information is irrelevant.

well, in the book, the correct answer is 8.4m/s,
i got 5.65m/s

What book are you using?

Its a French Book, I go to a French High School
Its called Physique 12

What is potential gravity energy?

Potential gravity energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that an object possesses because of its height above the ground.

How is potential gravity energy calculated?

Potential gravity energy is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by the height at which it is located above the ground and the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s²). The formula is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is mass, g is gravitational acceleration, and h is height.

What are some examples of potential gravity energy?

Some examples of potential gravity energy include a roller coaster car at the top of a hill, a book on a shelf, and a ball held above the ground. All of these objects have the potential to fall and release their stored energy.

How is potential gravity energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential gravity energy is the stored energy of an object due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. As an object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

Can potential gravity energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential gravity energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when an object falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. In a hydroelectric dam, the potential energy of water held at a higher elevation is converted into electrical energy as it falls and turns turbines.