Kinetic/Potential Energy and Work help

In summary, the conversation discusses the kinetic energy of a 0.15kg baseball thrown by an outfielder at an initial velocity of 45m/s and angle of 35°. It is calculated to be 151.9J as it leaves the player's hand and 101.9J at its highest point of trajectory. The work done by gravity, the only force acting on the ball, is determined to be 50J using the work energy theorem. The height of the ball is calculated to be 34m using the equation for gravitational potential energy.
xx3dgxx

Homework Statement

A baseball outfielder throws a 0.15kg ball at 45m/s at an initial angle of 35°.
a) What is the kinetic energy of the ball as it leaves the player's hand?
b) What is the kinetic energy of the ball at its highest point of trajectory?
c) Gravity is the only force acting on the ball as it moves to the highest point. How much work did gravity do?
d) How high is the ball?
(C and D must use the work energy theorem)

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy = (1/2)mv2
Grav. potential energy = mgΔy
Work = FΔrcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty confident on parts A and B, C and D are where I'm slightly confused

a) (1/2)mv2 = 0.5 * .15kg * 45m/s2 = 151.9J

b) 0.5 * .15kg * (45cos(35°))2 = 101.9J

c) I'm not sure where to go mathematically from here, because I don't know the max height, and the only equation I can think of requires it.

I assume the work done by gravity is 50J though, because from part a and b, the change in kinetic was -50, and that'd have to change to grav. potential energy.

If C was correct at 50, this is how I'd think to do D.
d) Grav potential(U) = mgΔy
U/mg = Δy = 50/(.15*9.8) = 34m

If someone can check all my work and explain what's wrong, that'd be great! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to forum

Last edited:
Yes you are right

xx3dgxx said:
I assume the work done by gravity is 50J though, because from part a and b, the change in kinetic was -50, and that'd have to change to grav. potential energy.
Work done by a force is ∫F.ds, where all vectors must be measured in the same sense. If the force, gravity, acts down and the distance moved is up, what sign would the work done have?

Your calculations for parts A and B are correct. For part C, you are on the right track. The work done by gravity can be calculated using the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by gravity is equal to the change in kinetic energy from part A to part B, which is 50 J. So, your answer of 50 J is correct.

For part D, you are also on the right track. The change in gravitational potential energy is equal to the work done by gravity, which we calculated to be 50 J. So, we can set this equal to the equation for gravitational potential energy (mgh) and solve for h.

50 J = (.15 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)h
h = 50 J / (.15 kg * 9.8 m/s^2)
h = 34 m

So, your answer for part D is also correct. Great job!

Related to Kinetic/Potential Energy and Work help

1. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or shape.

2. How is work related to kinetic and potential energy?

Work is a measure of the change in an object's kinetic or potential energy. When work is done on an object, its energy changes from one form to another.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, and a rolling ball.

4. How can potential energy be converted into kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy through the action of an external force, such as gravity or a spring. The potential energy is transformed into kinetic energy as the object moves.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to kinetic and potential energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the total amount of kinetic and potential energy in a closed system will remain constant, with the two forms of energy exchanging back and forth.