Help with a potential energy question

In summary, the problem involves a 2kg ball attached to a ceiling by a 3m string in a room with a height of 5.4 meters and an acceleration due to gravity of 9.8m/s^2. The gravitational potential energy is calculated to be -47.04J, but it is incorrect. The answer is actually 0J, as the ball's height is set at 0m.
xregina12
A 2kg ball is attached to a ceiling by a 3 m string. The height of the room is 5.4 meters. Acceleration due to gravity is: 9.8m/s^2. What is the gravitational potential energy relative to a point at the same elevation as the ball? Answer in units of J.
The way I set up the problem is:
y=-(5.4-3)=-2.4 meters
m=2kg
g=9.8m/s^2
PE=mgy=(2)(9.8)(-2.4)=-47.04 J.

however, i checked the answer in my book and it wasn't it. :(
anyone can help show me what I did or/understood wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is 0 potential energy defined to be? Normally, we say the ground (0m) is 0J in these type of problems. In that case the answer for the problem would be 47.04J, as you say. (The potential energy would be positive since it its 2.4 meters above the ground.)

The way they have the problem worded it seems they are asking for the potential energy of the ball if we say the ball's height is 0m (and the floor is at x=-2.4m). Is this what they are asking for?

Also, what is the answer they give? This may help figure out what they are asking for.

Yes, I set 0 potential energy at the balls height.

xregina12 said:
Yes, I set 0 potential energy at the balls height.

Then by definition the ball has 0J of potential energy. That is your answer.

i.e. The balls' position is y=0m

therefore, [tex]U=mgy=mg(0)=0[/tex]

oh i see! Thanks.

Anytime. :smile:

Related to Help with a potential energy question

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a raised weight, a compressed spring, and water behind a dam.

4. How does potential energy differ from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

5. How can potential energy be used in everyday life?

Potential energy can be used in everyday life in various ways, such as in a roller coaster where potential energy is converted into kinetic energy to provide a thrilling ride. It is also used in hydroelectric dams to generate electricity and in elastic materials like rubber bands to power slingshots or toy cars.