Potential energy of a ball on top of a vertical rod

In summary, potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, and can be converted into other forms of energy. It is calculated as the product of an object's mass, gravity, and height. The potential energy of a ball on top of a vertical rod is determined by its height and mass, and increases when the ball is moved to a higher position on the rod. Potential energy is related to the motion of the ball through the principle of conservation of energy, as it is converted into kinetic energy as the ball falls and moves.
Vriska

Homework Statement

The problem is to take a small ball of mass m on a uniform rod of mass m which is hung on a hinge vertically downward, they're asking to find the velocity to be imparted for it undergo a complete rotation.

I have the kinetic energy bit worked out but I'm getting the wrong answer equating it to potential energy

Homework Equations

Cm = x1m1+x2m2/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Okay I'll assume the ball system nearly comes to a stop at the when it stands vertically. the cm of the rod will be l/2. this means that the mass is concentrated at l/2. now cm of the total system would be half way between the balland the cm of the rod. So it's l/2 + l/4 which is 3/4l. Mass = 2m so potential energy is lmg3/2.

.The books says this energy is 3mgl

Physics news on Phys.org
Vriska said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to take a small ball of mass m on a uniform rod of mass m which is hung on a hinge vertically downward, they're asking to find the velocity to be imparted for it undergo a complete rotation.

I have the kinetic energy bit worked out but I'm getting the wrong answer equating it to potential energy

Homework Equations

Cm = x1m1+x2m2/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Okay I'll assume the ball system nearly comes to a stop at the when it stands vertically. the cm of the rod will be l/2. this means that the mass is concentrated at l/2. now cm of the total system would be half way between the balland the cm of the rod. So it's l/2 + l/4 which is 3/4l. Mass = 2m so potential energy is lmg3/2.

.The books says this energy is 3mgl
You are right.

ehild said:
You are right.

Ah thank you for confirming my suspicions, this problems was a bugger

Vriska said:

The books says this energy is 3mgl

I think the book is right. The cm moves from -3l/4 to +3l/4 a height gain of 3l/2. The mass is 2m so the gain in PE is

2m * g * 3l/2 = 3mgl

CWatters said:
I think the book is right. The cm moves from -3l/4 to +3l/4 a height gain of 3l/2. The mass is 2m so the gain in PE is

2m * g * 3l/2 = 3mgl
?! woah, thank you so much for correcting me

You can also simply take the ball and the rod separately:

The ball moves upward by ##2l##, so its gain in PE is ##2lmg##.

The COM of the rod is ##l/2## below the hinge, so its gain in PE is ##lmg##.

The total gain in PE, therefore, is ##3lmg##.

Likes CWatters

Related to Potential energy of a ball on top of a vertical rod

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object possesses which can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated as the product of an object's mass, gravity, and height. The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the potential energy of a ball on top of a vertical rod?

The potential energy of a ball on top of a vertical rod is determined by the height of the ball from the ground and the mass of the ball. The higher the ball is from the ground and the heavier the ball, the greater the potential energy.

4. How does the potential energy change when the ball is moved to a higher position on the rod?

When the ball is moved to a higher position on the rod, the potential energy increases. This is because the ball now has a greater height and is farther from the ground, increasing its potential energy according to the formula PE = mgh.

5. How is potential energy related to the motion of the ball?

Potential energy is related to the motion of the ball through the principle of conservation of energy. As the ball falls from the top of the rod, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the ball to move faster and faster until it reaches the ground. This conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy is what allows the ball to move and eventually come to a stop.