Possible Topics for Math Presentation/Project

• Thread starter RubinLicht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topics
In summary, the conversation discusses a math project and open house in which the student must choose a topic related to math and make a presentation. They are seeking suggestions for a topic, preferably related to physics. Some past projects are mentioned, including ones that involve programming. The student expresses interest in learning extra math and is open to learning about tensors. They also mention their current knowledge in physics and express interest in topics related to Special/General Relativity. The teacher suggests a project involving numerical spreadsheet integration in 2 dimensions, specifically dealing with projectile motion and air drag.
RubinLicht

Homework Statement

Sorry, I'm not sure what section this should have went in, but it seemed like the homework/coursework section would be the most fitting. If not, please just move the post to the proper section.

I'm currently in 11th grade and am taking Calculus II/III and Linear Algebra in school. In May we have a math project/open house coming up where we choose, I presume, any topic in math and make a presentation about it. I would like a topic somewhat related to physics because I love physics! Shoot any possible suggestions at me.

For reference, here are some past projects:
Solving Circuits with Laplace Transforms
a few Encryption projects
gabriels horn (not particularly interesting to me, but it demonstrates the mind boggling aspects of calculus and infinity)
a mathematica replica of the T-Rex game (google)
mathematica version of 2048
math of raindrops
one or two on Eulers formula

It seems like there are a quite a few projects that lean more towards programming, I would try to steer clear of a purely programming project because i suck at programming, but i intend to learn the wolfram language sooner or later so if there's anything interesting do post a reply!

I am also willing to learn some extra math on my own and present that topic instead.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My current partner has suggested looking into tensors as a possible presentation topic, which would require some extra learning but I am fine with that.

My current knowledge in physics is limited to halliday resnick level EM(will be starting Purcell in March) and Kleppner level Mechanics. Any topic in Special/General Relativity is extremely interesting to us, although anything from GM may require quite a few weeks of cramming sophomore/junior undergraduate math. I am willing to invest a lot of time in this project. Hit me with all you got.

Cheers and have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's tough to know what the teacher is looking for here.

I prefer to guide students to stretch a little bit into an area they can really understand rather than treat a topic where they talk about all the buzz words without having a clue about how the implementation details really work.

I bet you could handle a numerical spreadsheet integration in 2 dimensions treating projectile motion including air drag. That builds on freshmen physics in a straightforward manner in a way that you can really understand all the details and that is used all the time to predict the paths of real projectiles. It's also not hard to add a third dimension to handle the effects of wind.

Related to Possible Topics for Math Presentation/Project

1. What are some interesting topics for a math presentation or project?

Some interesting topics for a math presentation or project could include exploring the golden ratio, fractals, the history of pi, applications of calculus, or the mathematics behind music and art.

2. How can I make my math presentation or project engaging and interactive?

One way to make your math presentation or project engaging and interactive is to incorporate hands-on activities, demonstrations, or games that involve mathematical concepts. You can also use technology, such as interactive graphs or simulations, to enhance the audience's understanding.

3. Are there any real-life applications of the topic I choose for my math presentation or project?

Almost every mathematical concept has real-life applications. For example, the Fibonacci sequence can be found in nature, and the Pythagorean theorem is used in architecture and construction. It's always a good idea to research the practical applications of your chosen topic to make your presentation or project more relevant and interesting.

4. How do I present complex mathematical concepts in a simple and understandable way?

To present complex mathematical concepts in a simple and understandable way, it's important to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Use visuals, diagrams, and real-life examples to help the audience visualize and understand the concept. It's also helpful to explain the significance or relevance of the concept to keep the audience engaged.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to present or work on a math project?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful, it is not always necessary. With proper research and preparation, anyone can present or work on a math project. It's important to have a clear understanding of the chosen topic and to be able to explain it in a way that is understandable to the audience.