Portable chemical sensing technology

In summary: I'm guessing that these sorts of tests are done by an experienced analyst rather than a machine, right?In summary, portable chemical sensing technology is available, but it is expensive and not very sensitive.
RPinPA
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm curious about what sort of technology is used for portable chemical sensing and how expensive or portable it is. For instance, I've occasionally been pulled aside by airport security, and they took a swab, wiped it on some piece of luggage and then as I recall (I didn't pay close attention) put it into some device which checked the swab for whatever substance they were interested in.

I'm interested in identification of plastics, preferably with a portable inexpensive technology. So I'm curious about what the airports are doing. Is that using an infrared or RF spectrum, or something else? What sorts of inexpensive sensing technologies exist, for any chemical sensing? How sensitive are they, i.e., how small a sample can you work with?

I also do a lot of traveling by train. Amtrak's preferred chemical sensing device is called a "dog", usually a Labrador. I suspect those "devices" are a lot quicker, cheaper, and more sensitive than any electronic device, but that's not practical for what I'm thinking about.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Some very good links to follow up. Thanks, very helpful.

I'd never heard of ion mobility spectrometry, that looks especially promising.

Likes berkeman

Related to Portable chemical sensing technology

1. What is portable chemical sensing technology?

Portable chemical sensing technology is a type of technology that allows for the detection and measurement of various chemicals and substances in a portable and compact device. It typically utilizes sensors and other detection methods to identify and quantify the presence of specific chemicals.

2. How does portable chemical sensing technology work?

Portable chemical sensing technology works by using sensors that are designed to detect specific chemicals or substances. These sensors can be based on various principles such as optical, electrochemical, or thermal methods. When the sensor comes into contact with the target chemical, it produces a signal that is then analyzed and interpreted by the device to determine the concentration or presence of the chemical.

3. What are the applications of portable chemical sensing technology?

Portable chemical sensing technology has a wide range of applications in various industries such as environmental monitoring, food safety, healthcare, and security. It can be used to detect pollutants in the air and water, monitor food quality and safety, diagnose medical conditions, and detect explosives and hazardous substances.

4. How accurate is portable chemical sensing technology?

The accuracy of portable chemical sensing technology depends on various factors such as the type of sensor used, the calibration of the device, and the environmental conditions. Generally, these devices have a high level of accuracy and precision, but it is important to regularly calibrate and maintain them to ensure reliable results.

5. What are the advantages of using portable chemical sensing technology?

There are several advantages of using portable chemical sensing technology, including its portability, ease of use, and quick results. These devices are compact and can be easily carried to different locations, making them ideal for on-site testing. They also provide real-time results, which can be crucial in certain applications. Additionally, they are cost-effective and can potentially reduce the need for laboratory testing.