Polygonal Hamster Wheel with 24901 sides.

• MHB
  • Thread starter RaAmonKhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, a Polygon hamster wheel has 24901 sides, each made of a 1 mile long wooden plank that is 4 feet wide. The planks are placed end to end to form a giant hamster wheel. The angular difference between each plank where they meet is very small, only 0.02 degrees, making it difficult for the human eye to perceive. The Earth, with a circumference of 24901 miles, is often perceived as flat due to its large size. The average height of a hamster is 5 feet.
RaAmonKhan
A Polygon hamster wheel has 24901 sides. Each side is made from a 1 mile long wooden plank(perfectly straight) , 4 feet wide. The planks are placed together, end to end, to form a giant hamster wheel.

You stand on top of this gigantic hamster wheel (on the outside of the wheel,as if balancing on a barrel), right where plank no.1 and plank no.2 meet each other in front of you. Behind you, a mile away ...plank no.24901 meets plank no.1 that you are standing on.

What would the angular difference be between each plank where they meet each other? Would you be able to see that angular difference with your eyes?

Riddle me that.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Imagine drawing lines from each "join" of two planks to the center of the wheel, There are 24901 planks so the entire 360 degrees is divided into 24901 angles each with measure \(\displaystyle \frac{360}{24901}\) degrees. Each angle is the vertex angle of an isosceles triangle. The sum of the angles in any triangle is 180 degrees so the base angles of each triangle have measure \(\displaystyle (180- \frac{360}{24901})/2= \frac{180(24901)- 360}{49802}= \frac{4481820}{49802}= 89.99277\). Since the "join" of two planks involves two of those, 2(89.99277)= 179.98 degrees. That is, of course, very very close to 180 degrees or no "angle" between planks at all. The difference from "straight" is 0.02 degrees. Whether you could "see that angular difference with your eyes would, I imagine, depend upon how good you eyesight is.

Exactly how big is this hamster?

I wanted to see if it would be possible for the person (that is standing on this polygon circle of 24901 miles circumference) to perceive the round object it is standing on as "FLAT"...

Would you suggest this would be a possibility ?
So ...if at all...very very few people would be able to see the 0.02 degrees between the two 1 mile long perfectly straight sides..?

The reason i am asking someone with much better math knowledge than myself this question..is to satisfy my reasoning about "why people perceive round objects of that size to be flat...when they are indeed round...or polygonal for testing purposes"
...The Earth is 24901 miles in circumference ...that is why some people perceive it to be "flat" ...when it is actually round.

Do i even make sense...sorry my English and grammar suck.Thank you for your input and valuable knowledge.

HallsofIvy said:
Imagine drawing lines from each "join" of two planks to the center of the wheel, There are 24901 planks so the entire 360 degrees is divided into 24901 angles each with measure \(\displaystyle \frac{360}{24901}\) degrees. Each angle is the vertex angle of an isosceles triangle. The sum of the angles in any triangle is 180 degrees so the base angles of each triangle have measure \(\displaystyle (180- \frac{360}{24901})/2= \frac{180(24901)- 360}{49802}= \frac{4481820}{49802}= 89.99277\). Since the "join" of two planks involves two of those, 2(89.99277)= 179.98 degrees. That is, of course, very very close to 180 degrees or no "angle" between planks at all. The difference from "straight" is 0.02 degrees. Whether you could "see that angular difference with your eyes would, I imagine, depend upon how good you eyesight is.

Exactly how big is this hamster?
Forgot your question Sorry...the hamster is on average 5 feet in height.

Wow. Now I am going to worry about whether hamsters are vegetarian or carnivorous!

Related to Polygonal Hamster Wheel with 24901 sides.

1. What is a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides?

A polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides is a specialized type of hamster wheel that has 24901 sides, making it a highly complex and intricate shape. It is typically used for scientific research and experimentation with hamsters.

2. How is a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides different from a regular hamster wheel?

A polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides is different from a regular hamster wheel in terms of its shape and complexity. While a regular hamster wheel has a simple circular or oval shape, a polygonal hamster wheel has 24901 sides, making it much more intricate and challenging for a hamster to run on.

3. Why would a scientist use a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides?

A scientist may use a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides for various reasons. It may be used to study the effects of complex shapes on a hamster's movement and behavior, or to test the limits of a hamster's physical capabilities. It could also be used to observe how a hamster adapts to a new and challenging environment.

4. How does a hamster run on a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides?

A hamster runs on a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides in the same way it runs on a regular hamster wheel. However, due to the complex shape and multiple sides, it may require more effort and coordination from the hamster to maintain its balance and run smoothly.

5. Is a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides safe for a hamster?

Yes, a polygonal hamster wheel with 24901 sides is safe for a hamster as long as it is designed and used properly. It is important to ensure that the wheel is stable and does not have any sharp edges that could harm the hamster. Additionally, the hamster should be monitored while using the wheel to ensure its safety and well-being.