Rotation problems - Torque & Angular Momentum

In summary, two review questions were discussed. The first question involved calculating the range of positions that Julie can stand on a plank suspended from a building without causing the ropes to break. The second question required determining the angular momentum and net torque on a particle with a given position vector and mass. Both questions were eventually solved with the conclusion that the answers were both zero.
Kavorka
I'm having trouble with two review questions:

1) Julie has been hired to help pain the trim of a building, but she is not convinced of the safety of the apparatus. A 5 m plank is suspended horizontally from the top of the building by ropes attached at each end. Julie knows from previous experience that the ropes being used will break if the tension exceeds 1 kN. Her 80 kg boss dismisses Julie's worries and begins painting while standing 1 m from the end of the plank. If Julie's mass is 60 kg and the plank has a mass of 20 kg, over what range of positions can Julie stand to join her boss without causing the ropes to break?

I believe you need a summation of forces and torques set to zero, and then solve for Julie's distance in the torque equation. My confusion is how to draw the free-body diagram. I have the two tensions as T/2 (I believe they mean the total tension to be 1kN) with the ropes horizontal, but what vertical force balances the weight of the plank and people?

2) The position vector of a particle whose mass is 3 kg is given by r = (4 + 3t^2)j, where r is in meters and t is in seconds. Determine the angular momentum and net torque about the origin acting on the particle.

I found the velocity vector dr/dt = 6tj and the acceleration vector dv/dr = 6j

Torque is position cross force, and the force vector F=ma is 18j. Angular momentum is position cross linear momentum, and the linear momentum vector is 18tj.

My problem is, if you cross all these j vectors don't they equal 0? Wouldn't both the net torque and angular momentum be 0? It seems this kind of problem should have a real answer, so I'm very much doubting myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:
I have the two tensions as T/2 (I believe they mean the total tension to be 1kN) with the ropes horizontal, but what vertical force balances the weight of the plank and people?
The ropes will be vertical, and in general have different tensions.

"suspended horizontally from the top of the building" bleh I'm an idiot, thanks. Do you know how the cross product works in the second one?

Kavorka said:
Do you know how the cross product works in the second one?
One is encouraged to post unrelated problems in separate threads. but anyway...
Yes, the answers are both zero. The only doubt is whether you read the question correctly. E.g. are you sure there was no i component in r?

Yeah I posted the questions exactly as on the sheet, so I guess I had that right.

Related to Rotation problems - Torque & Angular Momentum

1. What is torque and how does it relate to rotation?

Torque is the measure of the turning force that is applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. In terms of rotation, torque is responsible for causing an object to rotate around an axis.

2. How is torque different from force?

Torque and force are closely related, but they are not the same. Force is a vector quantity that describes the push or pull of an object, while torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. Force is measured in Newtons (N), while torque is measured in Newton-meters (N·m).

3. What is angular momentum and how is it related to rotation?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object is rotating). In short, angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect rotation problems?

The distribution of mass plays a crucial role in rotation problems. The moment of inertia, which is a key factor in calculating angular momentum, is heavily influenced by the distribution of mass in an object. Objects with more mass concentrated towards the axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia and will be easier to rotate, while objects with more mass distributed further from the axis will have a higher moment of inertia and will be more difficult to rotate.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque and angular momentum?

Torque and angular momentum have many real-world applications, including the operation of machines such as car engines and bicycles, the movement of planets and satellites in space, and the stability of spinning objects like tops and gyroscopes. They are also important concepts in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes use their bodies to control their rotation and maintain balance.