Polar coordinates to set up and evaluate double integral

In summary, the problem involves setting up and evaluating a double integral in polar coordinates, with given constraints and a given function. The steps involve using substitution to integrate, and the limits of integration can be changed using u substitution.
mikky05v

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to set up and evaluate the double integral f(x,y) = e-(x2+y2)/2 R: x2+y2≤25, x≥0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I just want to make sure I'm understanding this

my double integral would be

∫[itex]^{\pi/2}_{-\pi/2}[/itex] because x≥0 ∫[itex]^{5}_{0}[/itex] because my radius is 5 (e-(x2+y2)/2) r dr dθ

and then my inside would become ∫[itex]^{\pi/2}_{-\pi/2}[/itex] ∫[itex]^{5}_{0}[/itex] (e-r2/2) r dr dθ

can anyone confirm for me that this is correct and give me a brief break down on integrating.

obviously I would use substitution because I have r er2 but the -1/2 is throwing me a bit when it comes to the substitution.

Also how would i go about changing the limits while I'm substituting.
u= r2
du = 2r dr
isn't there something I have to do with my limits of integration that involves my u and du?

Physics news on Phys.org
mikky05v said:
u= r2
du = 2r dr
isn't there something I have to do with my limits of integration that involves my u and du?
Consider another u substitution. You don't have to explicitly change the bounds - you can just call them u1 and u2 midcalculation and then sub back in the r dependence at the end.

What about [itex]u= r^2/2[/itex]?

You can either, as CAF123 says, do the integration and then change back to r, or you can just replace the "r" limits with the corresponding "u" limits. When r= 0, what is u? When r= 5, what is u?

Related to Polar coordinates to set up and evaluate double integral

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a coordinate system in which a point in a plane is determined by its distance from a fixed point (called the pole or origin) and its angle from a fixed direction (usually the positive x-axis). The distance is represented by the radial coordinate, and the angle by the angular coordinate.

2. How do you convert from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
Note: The angle θ may need to be adjusted depending on the quadrant in which the point lies.

3. How do you set up a double integral using polar coordinates?

To set up a double integral in polar coordinates, use the following formula:
∫∫f(x,y) dA = ∫∫f(r cosθ, r sinθ) r dr dθ
This formula takes into account the area element in polar coordinates, which is r dr dθ instead of dx dy as in rectangular coordinates.

4. What are the limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates depend on the shape of the region being integrated over. The inner integral's limits will be determined by the radial coordinate, and the outer integral's limits will be determined by the angular coordinate. It is important to sketch the region and determine the limits of integration before setting up the integral.

5. How do you evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates?

To evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates, follow these steps:
1. Set up the integral using the formula ∫∫f(r cosθ, r sinθ) r dr dθ, with the appropriate limits of integration.
2. Evaluate the inner integral with respect to r, treating θ as a constant.
3. Substitute the result into the outer integral and evaluate with respect to θ.
4. If necessary, simplify and solve for the final answer.