Double Integral in polar coordinates

In summary: I get:∫∫D (3rcosθ+4(rsinθ)2) r dr dθwhich is the same as∫∫D (3r2cosθ+4r(rsinθ)2) dr dθIn summary, the homework statement evaluates ∫∫D (3x + 4y2 ) dA, where D is a region consisting of four circles with radii between 1 and 2.
says

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫D (3x + 4y 2 ) dA, where D = {(x, y) : y ≥ 0, 1 ≤ x 2 + y 2 ≤ 4} with the use of polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a sketch of the circle. It's radius is = 1 and it's lowest point is at (0,0), highest at (0,2), leftmost point at (-1,1) and rightmost point at (1,1).

Converting this integral into polar coordinates:
∫∫D (3rcosθ+4(rsinθ)2) r dr dθ

then distributing the r

∫∫D (3r2cosθ+4r(rsinθ)2) dr dθ

The outside integral goes from 0≤θ≤2π
I'm not totally sure with the inside integral though.
0≤r≤1? Because the maximum that the radius is is 1?

I haven't evaluated it yet. I want to make sure I've set it up correctly first. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫D (3x + 4y 2 ) dA, where D = {(x, y) : y ≥ 0, 1 ≤ x 2 + y 2 ≤ 4} with the use of polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a sketch of the circle. It's radius is = 1 and it's lowest point is at (0,0), highest at (0,2), leftmost point at (-1,1) and rightmost point at (1,1).

Converting this integral into polar coordinates:
∫∫D (3rcosθ+4(rsinθ)2) r dr dθ

then distributing the r

∫∫D (3r2cosθ+4r(rsinθ)2) dr dθ

The outside integral goes from 0≤θ≤2π
I'm not totally sure with the inside integral though.
0≤r≤1? Because the maximum that the radius is is 1?

I haven't evaluated it yet. I want to make sure I've set it up correctly first. :)

Have you drawn a picture of the full region yet? Isn't there more than one circle? What does the region ##D## look like?

Sorry, I just realized there are a few formatting errors in my original post.

Evaluate ∫∫D (3x + 4y2 ) dA, where D = {(x, y) : y ≥ 0, 1 ≤ x2 + y2 ≤ 4} with the use of polar coordinates.

I only got one circle. But I've seen that I've made a mistake. I'm having a lot of trouble interpreting what D means and plotting the graph. :/

I take D to mean that y is always greater than or equal to 0, so the region isn't below 0, and that x2 + y2 is between 1 and 4. But with this interpretation I get a 4 triangles, which doesn't seem right...

Can you sketch x2+y2=1? what curve is it? And what is x2+y2=4?

ehild said:
Can you sketch x2+y2=1? what curve is it? And what is x2+y2=4?

I can sketch both, I don't understand what you mean by 'what curve is it?' It's a circle, but D states that y has to be equal to or greater than 0, and that x2+y2 is between 1 and 4.

says said:
I can sketch both, I don't understand what you mean by 'what curve is it?' It's a circle, but D states that y has to be equal to or greater than 0, and that x2+y2 is between 1 and 4.
Both are circles. What are the centres and the radii?

The radius of x2+y2=1 is 1, and for the other the radius = 2.

So the upper limit is 2 and the lower limit is 1. I should get two circles with this D?

Ok, I understand. d is saying:

x2 + y2 =1
x2 + y2 =4

Then the upper limit of the radius = 2 and lower limit = 1

says said:
The radius of x2+y2=1 is 1, and for the other the radius = 2.

So the upper limit is 2 and the lower limit is 1. I should get two circles with this D?
The limits for what?
D is two-dimensional, you have an other variable, the angle θ. What are the limits for it?
Have yo sketched those circles?

The limit of integration.
For the angle θ, because y ≥ 0, the limit of integration is between 0≤θ≤π

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/99614
says said:
The limit of integration.
For the angle θ, because y ≥ 0, the limit of integration is between 0≤θ≤π
Correct. So the blue region is D.
Convert x, y into polar coordinates.
upload_2016-4-23_22-30-3.png

3x + 4y2
∫∫(3rcosθ+4(rsinθ)2) r dr dθ
distribute the r
∫∫(3r2cosθ+4r(rsinθ)2) dr dθ

Correct, go ahead. You want to integrate with respect to r first, what do you get?

Related to Double Integral in polar coordinates

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a type of integral that is used to calculate the area under a curved surface in polar coordinates. It is represented by ∬f(r,θ)rdrdθ, where f(r,θ) is the function being integrated, r is the radial coordinate, and θ is the angular coordinate.

2. How is a double integral in polar coordinates different from a regular double integral?

A double integral in polar coordinates is different from a regular double integral because it is used to integrate over a region in the polar coordinate system, whereas a regular double integral integrates over a rectangular region in the Cartesian coordinate system.

3. What is the process for converting a regular double integral to a double integral in polar coordinates?

To convert a regular double integral to a double integral in polar coordinates, the first step is to change the limits of integration to match the polar coordinates. This involves converting the rectangular region to a polar region and changing the variables from x and y to r and θ. The second step is to change the function being integrated from rectangular form to polar form, which involves substituting x and y with their polar coordinate equivalents.

4. What are the applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to find the area of irregularly shaped regions, calculate the volume of 3D objects, and solve problems involving forces and moments. They are also used in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks of using double integrals in polar coordinates?

One limitation of using double integrals in polar coordinates is that they are not suitable for regions with holes or disjointed parts. In such cases, it may be necessary to divide the region into smaller, simple regions and use multiple double integrals to find the total area or volume. Another drawback is that converting a regular double integral to a double integral in polar coordinates can be a complex and time-consuming process.