Solving for Generators in Abelian Groups with Multiple Relations

• Thread starter Nexus[Free-DC]
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the structure of an Abelian group with three generators and three defining relations. If the equations are linearly independent, the group can be represented as a direct sum of cyclic groups. However, if the equations are not linearly independent, the group can still be represented as a cokernel of a map, which can be diagonalized to determine the group's structure. This is known as the structure theorem for finitely generated abelian groups.
Nexus[Free-DC]
Okay, I'm really scratching my head here.

If an Abelian group A has three generators x,y,z and they are subject to three defining relations, say something like

x+y+z=0
x-y-z=0
2x-2y+3z=0

then I can solve for x,y,z and find A as a direct sum of cyclic groups, Z_x + Z_y + Z_z.

But what do I do if the three equations are not linearly independent? I get left with everything in terms of x and I can't just plug in the numbers.

Thanks,
N.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand

There's some context missing:

Let's say you've got generators [tex]\{x,y,z\}[/tex] and the relations:
[tex]xy=yx[/tex]
[tex]yz=zy[/tex]
and
[tex]zx=xz[/tex]
Which are equivalent to the claim that the group is abelian.

Now we add the following relations:
[tex]0=0[/tex]

So at this point, this group is equivalent to [tex]\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}[/tex] and the system of defining relations is clearly not linearly independant.

you probably oughtn't to confuse additive and multiplicative notation in the same thread

nexus, you are talking about a representation of your abelian group as a cokernel of a map which is not necessarily injective.

by the way your example is non sense as your groupo as described is zero.

i.e. you gave so many relations that everything was trivial.

In general if you have n generators, that emans you map a direct sum of n copies of Z onto the group. then telling what say r relations are, is giving a generating set for the kernel of that map, hence it let's you map another direct sum of r copies of Z onto the kernel.

So now you have a linear map from r copies of Z, to n copies of Z, given by a matrix of integers. and your group is the cokernel of this map.

To get the explicit structure of the group, you just diagonalize the matrix using row and column operations. Then you can easily see the group structure, as the quotient of the direct sums then becoems the direct sum of the quotients of the diagonal maps, i.e. one dimensional maps.

this is the usual proof of the structure theorem for finitely generated abelian groups.

1. What are groups?

Groups are collections of individuals who share common characteristics or interests and interact with each other on a regular basis.

2. What are the benefits of being in a group?

Being in a group can provide a sense of belonging, support, and social connection. It can also allow for the exchange of ideas and perspectives, as well as the opportunity to work together towards a common goal.

3. What are the different types of groups?

There are many different types of groups, including social groups, work groups, support groups, and interest groups. Each type serves a different purpose and may have different dynamics and goals.

4. How do groups form?

Groups can form through various means, such as through shared interests, common goals, or a sense of belonging. They may also form through formal processes, such as joining a club or organization.

5. What are some challenges groups face?

Some common challenges that groups may face include conflicts within the group, difficulty making decisions, and maintaining group cohesion. It is important for groups to have effective communication and problem-solving skills to overcome these challenges.