How to Find the Product of Cyclic Groups in an Abelian Group?

In summary, we have the abelian group $M = \mathbb{Z}_{24} \times \mathbb{Z}_{15} \times \mathbb{Z}_{50}$ and the ideal $I = 2\mathbb{Z}$ of $\mathbb{Z}$. We can find $\text{Ann}_M(I)$ as a product of cyclic groups, $\operatorname{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{24}}(I) = 12\Bbb Z_{24}$, $\operatorname{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{15}}(I) = 15\Bbb Z_{15}$, and $\operatorname{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $M$ be the abelian group, i.e., a $\mathbb{Z}$-module, $M=\mathbb{Z}_{24}\times\mathbb{Z}_{15}\times\mathbb{Z}_{50}$.

I want to find for the ideal $I=2\mathbb{Z}$ of $\mathbb{Z}$ the $\{m\in M\mid am=0, \forall a\in I\}$ as a product of cyclic groups.

We have the following:

$$\text{Ann}_M(I)=\{m\in M\mid am=0, \forall a\in I\} \\ =\{m\in \mathbb{Z}_{24}\mid am=0, \forall a\in I\}\times\{m\in \mathbb{Z}_{15}\mid am=0, \forall a\in I\}\times\{m\in \mathbb{Z}_{50}\mid am=0, \forall a\in I\}\\ =\text{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{24}}(I)\times\text{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{15}}(I)\times\text{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{50}}(I)$$

or not? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good so far. :D

Euge said:
It looks good so far. :D

How could we continue? Do we have to show that $\text{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{24}}(I), \text{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{15}}(I), \text{Ann}_{\mathbb{Z}_{50}}(I)$ are cyclic groups? (Wondering)

They are cyclic, but based on your prompt I thought you have to compute them. I'll start with $\operatorname{Ann}_{\Bbb Z_{24}}(I)$. Since $2$ is a generator of $I$, an element $m\in \Bbb Z_{24}$ satisfies $am = 0$ if and only if $2m = 0$. The solutions of $2m = 0$ in $\Bbb Z_{24}$ are $[0]_{24}$ and $[12]_{24}$. Thus $\operatorname{Ann}_{\Bbb Z_{24}}(I) = 12\Bbb Z_{24}$.

Euge said:
They are cyclic, but based on your prompt I thought you have to compute them. I'll start with $\operatorname{Ann}_{\Bbb Z_{24}}(I)$. Since $2$ is a generator of $I$, an element $m\in \Bbb Z_{24}$ satisfies $am = 0$ if and only if $2m = 0$. The solutions of $2m = 0$ in $\Bbb Z_{24}$ are $[0]_{24}$ and $[12]_{24}$. Thus $\operatorname{Ann}_{\Bbb Z_{24}}(I) = 12\Bbb Z_{24}$.

Ah ok...I see... (Thinking)

So, we have also the following:

Since $2$ is a generator of $I$, an element $m\in \Bbb Z_{15}$ satisfies $am = 0$ if and only if $2m = 0$. The solution of $2m = 0$ in $\Bbb Z_{15}$ is $[0]_{15}$. Thus $\operatorname{Ann}_{\Bbb Z_{15}}(I) = 15\Bbb Z_{15}$.

Since $2$ is a generator of $I$, an element $m\in \Bbb Z_{50}$ satisfies $am = 0$ if and only if $2m = 0$. The solutions of $2m = 0$ in $\Bbb Z_{50}$ are $[0]_{50}$ and $[25]_{50}$. Thus $\operatorname{Ann}_{\Bbb Z_{50}}(I) = 25\Bbb Z_{50}$.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Yes, it's correct.

Related to How to Find the Product of Cyclic Groups in an Abelian Group?

What is a product of cyclic groups?

A product of cyclic groups is a group that is formed by combining two or more cyclic groups together. It is denoted by G1 x G2 x ... x Gn, where G1, G2, ..., Gn are the cyclic groups being combined.

What is the order of a product of cyclic groups?

The order of a product of cyclic groups is equal to the product of the orders of the individual cyclic groups being combined. In other words, if G1 has order m and G2 has order n, then the product group G1 x G2 has order mn.

What is the structure of a product of cyclic groups?

The structure of a product of cyclic groups is determined by the structure of the individual cyclic groups being combined. For example, if G1 has elements a and b and G2 has elements c and d, then the product group G1 x G2 will have elements (a,c), (a,d), (b,c), and (b,d). This means that the elements of the product group are ordered pairs of elements from the individual cyclic groups.

What are the properties of a product of cyclic groups?

Some important properties of a product of cyclic groups include closure, associativity, and identity. This means that the product group will also be a group, and the operations within the group will follow the same rules as the individual cyclic groups.

What is the significance of product of cyclic groups in mathematics?

The concept of a product of cyclic groups is important in the field of abstract algebra, as it allows for the creation of new groups by combining existing ones. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in the study of symmetry and in number theory.