Points of Inflection on a rational function

The best you can do is use the "cubic formula".In summary, the problem is to find the inflection points and use the second derivative test to determine the concavity of the function f(x) = (x - 1)/(x2 - 4). The first derivative is (-x2 + 2x - 4) / (x2 - 4)2 and the second derivative is 2x3 - 6x2 +24x -8 / (x2-4)4. The equation cannot be solved for its roots using simple methods, so the cubic formula must be used.
Larsani

Homework Statement

Find the inflection points and use second derivative test to determine where the function is concave up or down

Homework Equations

f(x) = (x - 1)/(x2 - 4)

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = (-x2 + 2x - 4) / (x2 - 4)2

f''(x) = 2x3 - 6x2 +24x -8 / (x2-4)4

This is where I am stuck. I can't solve the numerator set to 0. You can factor out the 2 and that's about it. Cubic that I can't solve. I'm looking at:

x(x2 - 3x +12) = 4

and thinking that maybe I can use the quadratic equation to find when that quadratic = 0 but I don't think that will help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to solve [itex]2x^3- 6x^2+ 24x- 8= 0[/itex]? The obvious first thing to do is to divide through by 2 to get [itex]x^3- 3x^2+ 12x- 4= 0[/itex]. Now the only possible rational roots are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 2[/itex], and [itex]\pm 4[/itex]. Trying those in turn, we see that none of them satisfy the equation so there is not any "simple" solution.

Related to Points of Inflection on a rational function

1. What is a point of inflection on a rational function?

A point of inflection on a rational function is a point where the curve changes from being concave upwards to concave downwards, or vice versa. This means the slope of the curve changes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa.

2. How do you find points of inflection on a rational function?

To find points of inflection on a rational function, you first need to find the second derivative of the function. Then, set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for the x-values. These x-values are the possible points of inflection. To confirm if they are actual points of inflection, you can use the first derivative test to check the concavity of the function at those points.

3. Are all rational functions guaranteed to have points of inflection?

No, not all rational functions will have points of inflection. It depends on the degree of the function and the values of the coefficients. For example, if the degree of the function is even and all the coefficients are positive, then there will be no points of inflection.

4. Can a rational function have more than one point of inflection?

Yes, a rational function can have multiple points of inflection. This can happen when the function has a high degree and/or complex coefficients, leading to more complex behavior and multiple changes in concavity.

5. How are points of inflection useful in understanding a rational function?

Points of inflection can provide valuable information about the behavior and shape of a rational function. They can help identify regions of increasing or decreasing values, as well as the overall concavity of the function. Points of inflection can also be used to find key points on the curve, such as local maxima or minima.