Help with a calcululs analysis problem

• Thread starter PatrickrG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a math assignment that requires a complete analysis of four functions using calculus and algebraic methods. The student is struggling because they are more comfortable learning in a classroom setting and have limited knowledge of these methods. The expert advises the student to brush up on introductory calculus and linear algebra and provides resources for self-study. The expert also emphasizes the importance of understanding the concepts before attempting to solve the problems.
PatrickrG
Member warned about posting multiple problems with no effort shown
Hello, I need to do a complete analysis using calculus and algebraic methods for these problems

1. ƒ(x) = −x2 + 4x − 3
  2. g(x) = x3 − 6x2 + 9x
  3. h(x) = x4 − 6x2
  4. p(x) = x4 − 4x3

1. finding intercepts, critical points, intervals of increase and decrease, points of inflection, intervals of concavity, local maximum or minimum points. If someone could give me just an example I could manage to follow that and figure them out please.
2. Homework Equations
?

I attempted finding some of these analysis by putting these formulas in a graph but that's as far as I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
PatrickrG said:
Hello, I need to do a complete analysis using calculus and algebraic methods for these problems

1. ƒ(x) = −x2 + 4x − 3
  2. g(x) = x3 − 6x2 + 9x
  3. h(x) = x4 − 6x2
  4. p(x) = x4 − 4x3

1. finding intercepts, critical points, intervals of increase and decrease, points of inflection, intervals of concavity, local maximum or minimum points. If someone could give me just an example I could manage to follow that and figure them out please.

1. I attempted finding some of these analysis by putting these formulas in a graph but that's as far as I got.

In order to understand what you have to do and why is it so, you have to study the respective theory of what you ask. There's no point to do things mechanically. So, what have you learned about all these you ask?

QuantumQuest said:
In order to understand what you have to do and why is it so, you have to study the respective theory of what you ask. There's no point to do things mechanically. So, what have you learned about all these you ask?
in 1a. where f(x) is -x^2 + 4x -3 I plugged these into a graph and visually I see that x intercepts is x 0,-3 y is 1.5,0, no critical points, intervals of increase when x>0, decrease when x<0, no point of inflection/concavity or max/min. That is as far as I got

Why are you trying to figure out everything from the graph? This is a great way to verify things but not to calculate.

QuantumQuest said:
Why are you trying to figure out everything from the graph? This is a great way to verify things but not to calculate.
I don't know how to use the calculus and algebraic methods unfortunately...

PatrickrG said:
I don't know how to use the calculus and algebraic methods unfortunately...

OK, but is it required by your school to know them or you're self learning? I'm asking just to get some hint on how I can help in the best possible way.

It is an online class It is required for that specific assignment, they want me to know different ways to solve things. Its hard for me because I learn better in a classroom setting where I can see examples and here it explained rather than online...But technically I am self learning because I have to wait quite sometime for an email back from the teacher for help so I'm stuck.

What is your background? Do you know how to solve a quadratic equation or higher degree equations? Do you know about derivatives? These are required in order to do a full study of a function.

Been quite a few years since I completed high school and I'm taking this class because I need it so I can register for university. I don't know If I could solve a quadratic equation but have recently been learning about derivatives.

PatrickrG said:
Been quite a few years since I completed high school and I'm taking this class because I need it so I can register for university. I don't know If I could solve a quadratic equation but have recently been learning about derivatives.

In this case you need to brush up by reading some introductory calculus text. Also some introductory linear algebra is needed. There is plenty of books for these. I recommend Stewart "Calculus" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0538497815/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Gilbert Strang's "Introduction to Linear Algebra" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0980232716/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Khan Academy has also good introductory videos for these.

If you don't study and familiarize yourself with the required concepts, you won't build for yourself the required framework in order to go further.
It is no use to provide you with solutions, if you can't grasp what is going on. For instance, for the first function you ask, you must solve the quadratic equation ##-x^2 + 4x - 3 = 0## in order to find the x intercepts. You must take the discriminant ##\Delta = b^2 - 4ac## where a,b,c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. It's sign shows if the quadratic has real solutions (##\Delta \geqslant 0##) or not (##\Delta < 0##). The roots are given by ##x = \frac{-b\pm\sqrt{\Delta}}{2a}##. These are the x - intercepts. Then you must take the first derivative of the function in order to find monotonicity (sign of ##f^\prime##) and the second derivative for points of inflection (##f^{\prime\prime} = 0##) etc. For the others you must make some factoring, take derivatives as before etc. So, as you can see, you must study in order to be able to do an analysis of a function.

Last edited by a moderator:
PatrickrG said:
finding intercepts, critical points, intervals of increase and decrease, points of inflection, intervals of concavity, local maximum or minimum points. If someone could give me just an example I could manage to follow that and figure them out please.

PatrickrG said:
It is an online class It is required for that specific assignment, they want me to know different ways to solve things. Its hard for me because I learn better in a classroom setting where I can see examples and here it explained rather than online...But technically I am self learning because I have to wait quite sometime for an email back from the teacher for help so I'm stuck.
Based on the portion of the problem statement that I quoted above, the expectation is that you are familiar with derivatives of functions, and can find them and use them to locate critical points, inflection points, and the other things asked for in this problem. If you are unfamiliar with these terms, you are probably in the wrong class.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and QuantumQuest

Related to Help with a calcululs analysis problem

1. What is a calculus analysis problem?

A calculus analysis problem is a mathematical problem that involves using the principles of calculus to solve for unknown variables or to analyze the behavior of a function. It typically requires the use of derivatives, integrals, and limits to find solutions.

2. How do I approach a calculus analysis problem?

The best approach to solving a calculus analysis problem is to first identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate formulas and techniques to solve for the unknown variables. It is also important to check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. What are some common techniques used in calculus analysis problems?

Some common techniques used in calculus analysis problems include finding derivatives and integrals, using the chain rule and product rule, applying the fundamental theorem of calculus, and using substitution and integration by parts.

4. What are some tips for solving calculus analysis problems?

Some tips for solving calculus analysis problems include practicing regularly, understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and checking your work to avoid careless errors.

5. How can I improve my calculus analysis problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your calculus analysis problem-solving skills is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try challenging yourself with more difficult problems and working through them step by step. Additionally, reviewing and understanding the underlying concepts and principles of calculus can help improve your problem-solving abilities.