Can Physics Inspire Poetry?

• Thread starter magiladd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, David Morin is famous for his physics limericks. He has posted a few Haiku's over the years. One that is often repeated in Fluid Mechanics' turbulence lectures is "Big whirls have little whirls, that feed on their velocity; and little whirls have lesser whirls, and so on to viscosity."
magiladd
Hello! I would love to know if any of you have some nice physics poetry. I often think in terms of graphs, and a lot of my metaphors relate to superposition and the uncertainty principle, but I always have a difficult time expressing that in poems. I was wondering if anyone had discovered how to do that yet? Or creative ways to express poems in a science-y way? I love writing poetry and would love to do it in a way that makes more sense to me- with physics, lol.

Would love any ideas or poet recs! Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
magiladd said:
Hello! I would love to know if any of you have some nice physics poetry. I often think in terms of graphs, and a lot of my metaphors relate to superposition and the uncertainty principle, but I always have a difficult time expressing that in poems. I was wondering if anyone had discovered how to do that yet? Or creative ways to express poems in a science-y way? I love writing poetry and would love to do it in a way that makes more sense to me- with physics, lol.

Would love any ideas or poet recs! Thank you!
I've posted a few Haiku's over the years.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/exploring-the-aether.1008435/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...neralised-momentum.998603/page-2#post-6445943

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-interpret-integration-by-parts.998115/#post-6440057

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/contest-physics-haiku.877520/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...closedness-of-the-cosmos.997137/#post-6429092

Once, long ago, on a forum I belonged to, someone said he was trying to come up with a version of "Twinkle, twinkle, little star" to give his daughter a more scientific understanding of stars. He came up with something like:

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Are you just a ball of gas
With an ever-changing mass?

Which prompted me to produce the following:

Twinkle, twinkle, ball of gas,
Your fate depends upon your mass.
What will be your final role -
White dwarf, pulsar or black hole?

• Love
Likes Klystron, Hamiltonian and PeroK
One that is often repeated in Fluid Mechanics' turbulence lectures:

“Big whirls have little whirls,
That feed on their velocity;
And little whirls have lesser whirls,
And so on to viscosity.”

― Lewis Fry Richardson

Likes dRic2 and Hamiltonian
This was a favourite of my high-school chemistry teacher:

Poor Joe Soap,
He is no more.
For what he thought was ##H_2\ O##
Was ##H_2 \ SO_4##

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian
May his rest be long and placid -
He added water to the acid!
This young chap did what he oughtta;
He added acid to the water.

Likes Hamiltonian

1. What is the connection between poetry and physics?

Poetry and physics may seem like two very different disciplines, but they both involve a deep exploration and understanding of the world around us. Poetry often uses language to convey complex ideas and emotions, while physics uses mathematical equations to describe the laws of nature. Both require creativity and a deep appreciation for the beauty and complexity of the world.

2. Can poetry be used to explain scientific concepts?

Absolutely! Poetry can be a powerful tool for explaining scientific concepts in a way that is accessible and engaging for a wider audience. Many scientists have used poetry to explain complex ideas and theories, and some have even written entire collections of poems inspired by their scientific research.

3. How does poetry contribute to the field of physics?

Poetry can contribute to the field of physics in a variety of ways. It can help scientists better understand and communicate their research, inspire new ideas and perspectives, and even serve as a form of creative expression for scientists. Additionally, poetry can help bridge the gap between science and the general public, making scientific concepts more relatable and understandable.

4. Are there any famous scientists who have also been poets?

Yes, there are several famous scientists who have also been poets. Some notable examples include Albert Einstein, who wrote poetry in his spare time, and Richard Feynman, who wrote a collection of poems inspired by his work in physics. There are also many contemporary scientists who continue to write poetry alongside their scientific research.

5. How can poetry and physics work together to enhance our understanding of the world?

Poetry and physics can work together to enhance our understanding of the world by offering different perspectives and ways of thinking. Poetry can help scientists see their research in a new light and inspire them to ask new questions, while physics can provide a deeper understanding of the scientific principles behind poetic expressions of the world. Together, they can help us gain a more holistic understanding of the universe and our place within it.