Plotting the graph of y=1/log|x|

In summary, there are various tools available to help plot the graph of y=1/log|x|. These include finding the asymptotes, determining if the function is even, odd, or neither, finding the roots, and analyzing the first and second derivatives to determine points of increase, decrease, concavity, and convexity. By using these methods, one can accurately draw the graph of y=1/log|x| without having to manually input multiple values of x.
IEVaibhov
I was just wondering as to how I can plot the graph of y=1/log|x| without putting a lot of values of x and obtaining corresponding values of y.
I mean, how can I draw this graph using the graph of y=log x or the graph of log|x|? Is there a way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of tools available to let you help you plot the function. Here are some things you can do:

• Find the asymptotes.
  • Find out if the function is even/odd/none
  • Find the roots of the function.
  • Find the first derivative and see where the function is increasing/decreasing. Find the extremal points.
  • Find the second derivative and see where to function is concave/convex.

This information will help you make an accurate drawing of the function.

IEVaibhov said:
I was just wondering as to how I can plot the graph of y=1/log|x| without putting a lot of values of x and obtaining corresponding values of y.
I mean, how can I draw this graph using the graph of y=log x or the graph of log|x|? Is there a way?

Suppose you work out the graph, using sample points, of the function for positive values of x. Is there some way you would automatically know what the graph looks like for negative values of x?

Related to Plotting the graph of y=1/log|x|

1. What is the domain and range of the graph?

The domain of the graph is all real numbers except 0 and 1. The range is all real numbers greater than 0.

2. How do I find the x and y-intercepts of the graph?

The x-intercept can be found by setting y = 0 and solving for x. The y-intercept can be found by setting x = 0 and solving for y. However, in this case, there is no y-intercept since 1/log|x| is undefined at x = 0.

3. What are the asymptotes of the graph?

The graph has two asymptotes: x = 0 and y = 0. As x approaches 0 from the left and right, the graph approaches positive and negative infinity, respectively. As y approaches 0 from the top and bottom, the graph approaches positive and negative infinity, respectively.

4. How do I determine the concavity of the graph?

The concavity can be determined by taking the second derivative of the function. If the second derivative is positive, the graph is concave up. If the second derivative is negative, the graph is concave down. In this case, the second derivative is always negative, so the graph is always concave down.

5. Can I use a calculator to plot the graph?

Yes, most scientific calculators have the capability to plot graphs. You can also use online graphing tools or graphing software to plot the graph of y=1/log|x|.