Plotting complex equations on the Argand plane with Wolfram Alpha

In summary, the conversation discusses how to plot complex graphs in Argand plane using Wolfram Alpha. It is suggested to take the square root of the modulus to create a "real" plot. An example of an ellipse is given, but it is noted that Wolfram Alpha does not do well with complex plots. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to plot the equation $(z-1)^{25}=2\omega^2(z+1)^{25}$.
Saitama
I am wondering how one would go about drawing graphs in Argand plane using Wolfram Alpha. For instance, I want to plot an ellipse $|z-1|+|z+1|=5$ using W|A, what should be the input? Simply entering $|z-1|+|z+1|=5$ doesn't give what I want.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wolfram|Alpha doesn't seem to do well with complex plots.

What I would do is take the square root of the modulus and turn it into a "real" plot, like so:

$\sqrt{(x-1)^2 + y^2} + \sqrt{(x+1)^2 +y^2} = 5$

Deveno said:
Wolfram|Alpha doesn't seem to do well with complex plots.

What I would do is take the square root of the modulus and turn it into a "real" plot, like so:

$\sqrt{(x-1)^2 + y^2} + \sqrt{(x+1)^2 +y^2} = 5$

Yes, I know I can enter that but that was just an example I stated in my post. How would I go about plotting

$$(z-1)^{25}=2\omega^2(z+1)^{25}$$

:confused:

Related to Plotting complex equations on the Argand plane with Wolfram Alpha

1. What is an Argand plane?

The Argand plane is a complex plane used in mathematics to graph complex numbers. It was named after Jean-Robert Argand, a Swiss mathematician, who first introduced this concept in the late 18th century.

2. What is the purpose of an Argand plane?

The Argand plane is used to visualize complex numbers and their operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also helps in understanding the geometric properties of complex numbers.

3. How is the Argand plane represented in Wolfram Alpha?

In Wolfram Alpha, the Argand plane is represented as a two-dimensional graph with the real axis (x-axis) and the imaginary axis (y-axis). The real part of a complex number is plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis.

4. Can I plot complex numbers on the Argand plane in Wolfram Alpha?

Yes, you can plot complex numbers on the Argand plane in Wolfram Alpha by simply entering the complex number in the search bar. The result will show the point representing the complex number on the Argand plane.

5. Is the Argand plane useful in solving mathematical problems?

Yes, the Argand plane is a useful tool in solving mathematical problems involving complex numbers. It allows for a better understanding of complex numbers and their operations, making it easier to solve equations and analyze functions.