Visualizing a 3-variable function in a 3D plot -- Wolfram Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a 3D graph of a function with a corresponding color option for the value of the function. The desired result is a box filled with semi-transparent color that changes based on the function value. The use of ContourPlot3D was not successful and the suggestion of using a 4D grapher with the fourth dimension represented as a color was given.
Qturtle
Hey
I have a function of x,y,z and i want to have a 3D graph of it. i was thinking maybe there is a color option that corresponds with the value of the function, something like DensityPlot in Wolfram but in 3D instead of 2D. the result should look like a box filled with semi transparent color that changes with respect to the value of the function, so that u have an idea of what's "inside", and not only what's in front of you.
ive tried ContourPlot3D but it doesn't give me a satisfying result. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... It sounds like you want something like this https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=4d+grapher
I'm not really sure what a good program is to do so, but a brief skimming led me to the result that if you don't want to pay, you should make your own, and represent the 4th dimension (your dependant variable) as a color. Sorry I can't offer up anything better than that.

Related to Visualizing a 3-variable function in a 3D plot -- Wolfram Math

1. How do I create a 3D plot for a 3-variable function in Wolfram Math?

To create a 3D plot for a 3-variable function in Wolfram Math, you can use the Plot3D function. This function takes in the three variables as well as the function itself and generates a 3D plot with the x and y axes representing the two independent variables and the z axis representing the dependent variable.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the 3D plot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the 3D plot in Wolfram Math. You can change the color, style, and thickness of the lines, add labels and titles, and even add a legend to the plot. You can also adjust the viewing angle and perspective of the plot to get a better understanding of the function.

3. How do I interpret a 3D plot of a 3-variable function?

A 3D plot of a 3-variable function shows how the value of the dependent variable changes with respect to the two independent variables. The height of the plot at a particular point represents the value of the function at that point. You can also use the color of the plot to represent the value of the function, with warmer colors indicating higher values and cooler colors indicating lower values.

4. Can I add additional features to the 3D plot, such as contour lines?

Yes, you can add additional features to the 3D plot in Wolfram Math. You can add contour lines, which represent points on the plot with the same function value, by using the ContourPlot3D function. You can also add other types of surfaces, such as mesh surfaces, to the plot to get a better understanding of the function.

5. How can I export the 3D plot to use in other programs or documents?

You can export the 3D plot from Wolfram Math in various formats, such as PNG, JPEG, PDF, and more. You can do this by using the Export function and specifying the desired format. This will allow you to use the 3D plot in other programs or documents to enhance your presentation or analysis of the function.