WolframAlpha: How to plot a family of curves?

In summary, the author is struggling to use a WolframAlpha program to plot a family of curves and would appreciate help from the poster.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
just something I need quickly to illustrate a homework help, don't want to spend much time on.

What is the code in WolframAlpha just to plot an ornery family of curves?

Searched WA and find all sorts of fancy things, not this ornery one.

Should. be something like e,g.
For n= 1 to 20 c= n*0.05 plot f(x,y,c)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. That will be much better than nothing. There must surely be a simple way to complete that listing automatically specifying just first value, interval, number of curves, last value.

Meantime I did find a quite convenient free app that doesn't even need to be downloaded, with specifically a curve family amongst its explicit options, and that has the advantage of having several colours https://www.mathe-fa.de/en#result - which was useful for the illustration I wanted Failure of uniqueness for this first-order differential equation. But routinely for looking into things it would be good to know how to do it on WolframAlpha..

Try this with WolframAlpha

plot Table[n*x^2+x-3,{n,1,8,1.5}] x= -3 to 5

Thank you. That enabled me to plot a denser family of curves than I could before which is what I need to do, just for the purposes of making a didactic point.
It will take me a long time to master this program.
I need to modify your program to make all the curves black. This appears to involve "Plotstyle → Black" but wherever I put this it was not understood by the program. Also I want to be able to make the curves are thick as well as black. And I could do without the numerical table as I don't seem to be able to upload the resultIng picture without it, so the picture is tiny.
I would be grateful for your further help.

Related to WolframAlpha: How to plot a family of curves?

1. How do I plot a family of curves on WolframAlpha?

To plot a family of curves on WolframAlpha, you can use the "plot" command and specify the desired family of curves in the input. For example, to plot the family of curves y = mx + b, you would input "plot y = mx + b" into the search bar.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the plotted curves?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the curves by using the "style" command. This allows you to change the color, line style, and other properties of the curves.

3. How do I add additional curves to the plot?

To add additional curves to the plot, you can use the "+" symbol in the input. For example, "plot y = mx + b + ax^2" would plot both a straight line and a parabola.

4. Can I save or share my plotted family of curves?

Yes, you can save or share your plotted family of curves by clicking on the "Share" button at the top of the plot. This will give you the option to save the image or share it on social media.

5. Is it possible to plot a 3D family of curves on WolframAlpha?

Yes, you can plot a 3D family of curves on WolframAlpha by using the "plot3d" command and specifying the desired family of curves in the input. You can also use the "style3d" command to customize the appearance of the 3D plot.