Plight of Terri Schiavo: Facts, Emotions, and Outcomes

In summary, a former student of mine emailed me about the plight of a disabled Florida woman who is about to have her feeding tube removed and be starved to death. Terri Schiavo has suffered brain damage and is not in a persistent vegetative state. The Schiavos are fighting for Michael Schiavo to be allowed to divorce Terri and cut off his inheritance because she would not want to live in her condition. There is dispute over what caused her brain damage, but it is clear she would not want to die by starvation or dehydration. There is a public argument over whether it is more humane to keep her alive in her condition or to allow her to starve to death within about a week. The courts are not wanting
russ_watters said:
IMO, these court cases are more about making them feel better than making her feel better. Perhaps if they spent Terri's last remaining days with her, they'd feel better about it - at least they'd be there with her.

I agree with this. There was one day this week that the Schindlers said they visted with Terri for 15 minutes. I was shocked that someone who believes she is still in some way sentient and able to communicate would only visit her for 15 minutes when they know she could die any day. If I knew a loved one was dying, whether I thought they knew I was there or not, I'd want to be by their side day and night. It mystifies me that on one hand they can argue she still knows what's going on and that they want to keep her alive, yet on the other hand, are leaving her to die alone so they can make TV and court appearances.

In this past week of watching the flurry of appeals, I've begun to wonder, and should have wondered this sooner...how much of an influence is the Schindlers' lawyer playing in this? Is he giving them false hope to bilk them out of every dime he can get from them before she dies?

Physics news on Phys.org
gnome said:
Yes, you said ABC and CNN. And yet, I posted links to the ABC and CNN sources that directly contradict your claim.
In case you missed those, here's another ABC link:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/PollVault/story?id=583661&page=1

Unfortunately, nobody can know what she's thinking now, if she's thinking at all. All the courts can do is decide based on what she said before she was in this condition.

My ABC station did not mention that poll. And yes I saw that poll the first time. And no, it is not correct.
http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/media032505.htm

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43424

Go to those links, its recent news. Abc's poll seems a bit one sided.
And inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
You must have misheard: every poll I've seen (and they are polling about every other day) has been heavily in favor of removing life support. Actually, I don't think that was the decision: the courts decided that it was the husband's decision. He believes that she would have wanted to die. The way I understand it, the court cases were primarily about guardianship. I'd certainly say yes, but you probably meant that mostly for people who are for re-inserting the feeding tube. Shadow...?

If those were her wishes, of course. But they aren't...

Shadow said:
My ABC station did not mention that poll. And yes I saw that poll the first time. And no, it is not correct.
http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/media032505.htm

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43424

Go to those links, its recent news. Abc's poll seems a bit one sided.
And inaccurate.

Your sources seem to be the ones that are one-sided. Reading the statement they say the ABC poll used, it is factually accurate. "No consciousness" is not the same as "unconscious" from a medical standpoint. They used the proper terminology. If people hold the misperception that being on life support means respirators, then that isn't ABC's fault. They used the proper terminology there as well. A feeding tube is considered life support.

Nothing in your sources indicated that poll respondents do not know the difference either.

From a medical standpoint. That's fine and dandy if this poll was of people familiar with "the medical standpoint." But it was not. The poll should have been clearer and if people hold the "misperception" then the results are inaccurate. And those are not the only websites that have it up...google it yourself.

And for those that support judge greer...
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=88761

http://hometown.aol.com/wbflegal/terrisfightgreerupdate6-18-04.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1366230/posts

http://www.rense.com/general63/retiredsheriffspeaks.htm

http://www.sptimes.com/News/121000/news_pf/State/Vulnerable_system.shtml

The first four sites tell the story of a woman who was denied protection from her husband by judge greer, an act that is against Floridas domestic abuse laws, as explained in the fifth link. For further information on the law, you can copy and paste it from the last link and google it, you should get a decent amount of results...

Shadow said:

Wow, you must know Terri Schiavo personally. You must have been there when Terri discussed this with her husband. You must have been there when Terri spoke about this with her friend. You must have some sort of telepathic connection with her right now in order to gleen that sort of insight. Kudos...

Funny that she should tell her husband, who by no means appears trust worthy and not her parents, eh? Show me one or two trustworthy link that show that Terri, WITHOUT A DOUBT said those words.

Shadow said:
From a medical standpoint. That's fine and dandy if this poll was of people familiar with "the medical standpoint." But it was not. The poll should have been clearer and if people hold the "misperception" then the results are inaccurate. And those are not the only websites that have it up...google it yourself.

And for those that support judge greer...
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=88761

http://hometown.aol.com/wbflegal/terrisfightgreerupdate6-18-04.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1366230/posts

http://www.rense.com/general63/retiredsheriffspeaks.htm

http://www.sptimes.com/News/121000/news_pf/State/Vulnerable_system.shtml

The first four sites tell the story of a woman who was denied protection from her husband by judge greer, an act that is against Floridas domestic abuse laws, as explained in the fifth link. For further information on the law, you can copy and paste it from the last link and google it, you should get a decent amount of results...

You are basing your facts on information obtained from a personal AOL page and the freerepublic and the rest. In case you didn't know, those sites are a little out there from time to time...

Anywho, you are completely ignoring the fact that this case has been in the Florida and Federal courts now. Judges from all political and moral perspectives have reviewed it about 25 times and all have come to the same conclusion: It was Terri's decision not to be kept on life support and her husband is the legal guardian. I'm sorry if facts are getting in the way of some fundamentalist ideal of yours though. The facts are that your wrong. You don't know, nor can you claim to know what Terri wanted. Only her husband and loved one can or could. You refuse to accept the fact that Terri is not herself anymore], she is a heartbeat only. For that I'm sorry. For this I will no longer address you because you are not open to any real facts. Hey, if I saw something that said she was anything but a vegetable then I might agree with you, but no one has presented anything to the contrary.

Most of the Schindlers findings are with proper theropy she MIGHT or COULD imporve but we are never given an area where she may improve. Will this therapy only improve her circulation? Well, I'm not going to rambel on any longer. I'll leave with the same stance which I posted in the other Schiavo therd, that being "No one, and I mean no one, has ever recovered from a labotomy." Meaning when a large part of the brain dies it stays dead. Brain functions do not repair themselves to the point of allowing thought and feelings a love to be understood by the most primitive part of the brain. The only part of her brain that still functions is the part linked to the most basic of bodily functions. She is a shell and her husband is trying to enforce her decisions while people like you are blindly supporting the intervention of govenrment rule in marital matters.

this is the first setp America is taking to becoming a NAZI like society where we can starve people to death. By the way, starving is by no means painless, and if you don't agree with me, starve yourself and see what happens. I am sad to say where the scum of society: rapists, murderers, and generally bad people cannot be starved to death but innocent, helpless, crippled people can, because judges say so! who gave judges authority over the congress and president of the United States of America? Seperate but EQUAL branches of government, not bow to judges, they rule the land. :mad:

1 said:
this is the first setp America is taking to becoming a NAZI like society where we can starve people to death. By the way, starving is by no means painless, and if you don't agree with me, starve yourself and see what happens. I am sad to say where the scum of society: rapists, murderers, and generally bad people cannot be starved to death but innocent, helpless, crippled people can, because judges say so! who gave judges authority over the congress and president of the United States of America? Seperate but EQUAL branches of government, not bow to judges, they rule the land. :mad:
Then who gives congress or the president powers over the judicary? Seperate but equal. The fact is we, as a nation and society, have been allowed to remove life support from people in vegetative states for some time now. I've searched this forum and this is the first case mentioned here covering this topic. Why are you not decrying the removal of life support from victums of car accidents who suffer severe brain damage? Moreover, why are you not attacking the governmental interference into the lives of a husband and a wife? This is not the doings of the courts. Her wish was to not be kept on life support.

Oh, and please cut the uber federalis nazi crap. If you want to bemone the drift toward facism then look no further than the congressional/presidentional involvement in this case. Governments passing laws for individuals smacks of fasism more so than the Terri Schiavo(remember her last name BTW it's not Schindler anymore) case itself.

Shadow said:
Funny that she should tell her husband, who by no means appears trust worthy and not her parents, eh? Show me one or two trustworthy link that show that Terri, WITHOUT A DOUBT said those words.

It just goes to show you what bias media reporting can do. None of the parents insubstantiated claims have withstood judicial scrutiny. The guardian appointed by the court have said how well her husband took care of her and there has never been any real merit to the claims of abuse. It would require one heck of a big conspiracy between all medical personnel and even from Terri's parents themselves.

Where is the proof of her husband is untrustworth? And I don't mean pure accusations and claims, real proof. Why shouldn't a wife tell her husband want she wants? A lot of people are closer to their husbands than their parents. Besides she didn't just tell her husband, she told others. It's absurd to ask that we provide actually concrete proof she actually said those words. If she did they wouldn't be in that mess. That's why the courts are there when such difficulties arise.

1 said:

No. Not at all. This is about choice. You are actually excluding the relevant portion: she doesn't feel anything. She doesn't have a cerebral cortex. It's not that judges have opted to kill Terri; that was found to be her wish.

So let's just say that you were in a similar state as Terri and living in Texas, but you can't afford the medical costs, you would allow the government to pull your life support? Because according to Texan law, they can, even if your family wanted otherwise. Would you then applaud the authority of congress and the president? Would you then want the Court to step in and determine what it was that you wanted?

I think you need to understand what it is that separation of powers mean. The Courts if they think that the executive or legislative branch is doing something unconstitutional then can declare it void. Because the Constitution is the highest law of the land. And yes, even the President must bow to the decisions of the Courts when it is required.

What you are also missing is that we allow people to die with dignity because that is their choice and we respect that. You might think it's barbaric and inhumane, but to others that is preferably to living in that state for years on end. You cannot equate the situations of murders with that of Terri's because their situations are different. The crucial question is: What did Terri want. If that is what she wanted, then no one should deny that to her. Not Congress, not the President, not even her parents.

His point is that there are alternatives besides starvation. Death-row inmates are not starved to death, they get an injection.

Monique said:
His point is that there are alternatives besides starvation. Death-row inmates are not starved to death, they get an injection.

That would be called euthanasia and the US does not allow that. As Dr Jack Kevorkian knows only too well.

You are basing your facts on information obtained from a personal AOL page and the freerepublic and the rest. In case you didn't know, those sites are a little out there from time to time...

Which is why I included sptimes and libertypost...the others were backing it up. Libertypost was first because its more hardcore and sptimes was last because as I stated, it discussed floridas law...

and if you don't trust either of those two, I can only tell you to look yourself.

Last edited:
Shadow said:
Which is why I included sptimes and libertypost...the others were backing it up. Libertypost was first because its more hardcore and sptimes was last because as I stated, it discussed floridas law...

and if you don't trust either of those two, I can only tell you to look yourself.

Your liberty post link is not a reputible news organization. In fact it is nothing more than an opinion piece(and we all know about opinions).

The SP post is not about this case. Time and again it has been show that M Schiavo did not abuse his wife. Most of the abuse alligations against him after Terri had the heart attack, not before. The only abuse alligation from before was recanted by an ex-girlfriend of M Schiavo.

Moonbear said:
In this past week of watching the flurry of appeals, I've begun to wonder, and should have wondered this sooner...how much of an influence is the Schindlers' lawyer playing in this? Is he giving them false hope to bilk them out of every dime he can get from them before she dies?
Oy, don't get me started on lawyers. Though that question has been wriggling around in the back of my head, I've been trying hard to avoid thinking about that. Someone mentioned within the last day or two - if they think Terri is actually talking, why did they wait until now to argue it? Its true desperation - or is it exploitation? Halucination?
Shadow said:
Are you saying you know Terri's wishes? If you are, how? If not, then who should be the one to best interpret her wishes? Who was in the best position to know? Who did Terry give this responsibility to? (yes, these questions have a straightforward answer...)

Regarding the allegations against the husband - after seeing the other things that the family is claiming, I have no qualms about saying I think he's the more sane. The family is claiming quite a lot of things that are quite simply wrong/impossible.

fifiki said:
That would be called euthanasia and the US does not allow that. As Dr Jack Kevorkian knows only too well.
"That would be called euthanaisa"
omg, how is taking someone OFF OF LIFESUPPORT not euthanaisa? You do it with the intent to kill.

Here, dictionary: The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

Monique said:
"That would be called euthanaisa"
omg, how is taking someone OFF OF LIFESUPPORT not euthanaisa? You do it with the intent to kill.

Here, dictionary: The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

As the US considers what euthanasia is, taking off life support is not active euthanasia. As a previous poster have stated, the difference is actively taking someone's life. Rather I should have said that the US allows passive euthanasia. Pulling the plug is letting nature do its work. I have never said that I agree or disagree with the law of it, just stating what is.

Grace wrote

Terri's death is an exercise in eugenic murder just like the Nazi campaign to kill German citizens with physical and mental handicaps that preceded World War II and the Holocaust. Americans with disabilities are watching this case anxiously to see whether their lives are threatened.

Not to get off subject but Grace what are your feelings towards the sanctity of marriage? Although I am assuming here I would believe seeing as this country is pretty divided that you are leaning towards the right.
Which brings me to my point, remember also that Jew could not marry Non-Jews and that homosexuals were systematically exterminated along with disabled people. Hope your able to see what I am getting at.
Now to get back on subject what worries me is that somewhere these two sides are going to meet in the middle and agree on what's right and wrong for our country and that's when the #$&^ will hit the fan. So to speak.

We as a country and as a human race have valued life way to much we are keeping infants who weigh less than 5 ounces alive only to live lives with degenerative problems and we are keeping geriatrics alive longer than what nature has allowed for them forcing them to spend their lifes earnings on medications that probably cause them more pain than gain. So for us on both side of this spectrum need to have judges who will stand up and take a case like this, even with threats to his life by people who want to save Terri's life (Idiots!). I am glad he (the judge) is making a clear descision on where one life will end in hopes that others in the same condition who want to die can do so with dignity and not have a long drawn out case pleaded over people on both sides who are selfish and most times ignorant.

As to this becoming a precedent for people to be euthanized who have and probably will "wake" up from PVS and Coma's. How come I do not hear out cries for inmates on death row who have been wrongly accused? This has gotten way out of hand and I would rather see this come to a close then to have this woman be put back on life support to suffer through another 15 years or more.

Monique said:

Starvation is a natural way of dying like having no teeth and only beef jerky to eat. We could probably invent a machine to insert and take out a feeding tube but what good is that would probably have to pay a couple thousand just to power up the machine. The point is there is other ways to end a life but to do so without killing, murdering, slaughtering whatever you want to call it, you can allow someone to die naturally

Let's do the math. How many on Medicaid would otherwise be alive today if their heroic measures were continued, how many extremely premature infants could be saved similarly, what percent of the Medicaid budget would be consumed by these "pro-life " actions, and what conservative is willing to increase his taxes to cover the expense? Elastic morals?

fifiki said:
As the US considers what euthanasia is, taking off life support is not active euthanasia. As a previous poster have stated, the difference is actively taking someone's life. Rather I should have said that the US allows passive euthanasia. Pulling the plug is letting nature do its work. I have never said that I agree or disagree with the law of it, just stating what is.

fifiki, you have some excellent logical points here. without modern technology, Terri would have passed away years ago. the process she is enduring now is a natural one, not one induced by humanity (such as euthanasia).

egarding the allegations against the husband - after seeing the other things that the family is claiming, I have no qualms about saying I think he's the more sane. The family is claiming quite a lot of things that are quite simply wrong/impossible.

Another great point Russ. The parents have much more extreme actions and claims against this man (at least what the media is reporting as fact) and this is a credibility issue as far as I am concerned. I had read also that people were offering rewards to have Terri's husband murdered and an even bigger reward to have the judge killed who ordered her feeding tube removed. Michael Schiavo however has no outrageous actions, claims, etc and is following through something, as Terri's legal guardian, she had expressed prior to her collapse. People forget that when you marry, your spouse is the (legal) next of kin who will speak for you if you can't speak for yourself.

russ_watters said:
Someone mentioned within the last day or two - if they think Terri is actually talking, why did they wait until now to argue it? Its true desperation - or is it exploitation? Halucination?

It really could be any of those. Some people cannot handle loss. When my father died, my grandmother sat talking to an empty chair one evening, insisting my father had returned and was sitting right there in the chair she was pointing to. There were a few other incidents with her, during the wake, at one point she was sure he had opened his eyes and was really alive, or that she had seen his chest move as if breathing. As we attempted to escort her to a different room, she was accusing us of trying to bury her son alive. Some people have very extreme reactions to grief, especially when it is a parent losing a child, even an adult child. Having that experience, it does not surprise me if her parents really believe they are seeing the things they claim, even if it is not true. The problem is someone needs to have the strength to tell them it's not true, to help them through their grief rather than allowing it to fester within them. I don't think anyone is doing that for them; it's a very difficult thing to have to do because it sometimes means being the tough guy knowing for a while they'll probably turn their anger to you too.

Law Bush Signed as governor of Texas

1 said:
who gave judges authority over the congress and president of the United States of America? Seperate but EQUAL branches of government, not bow to judges, they rule the land.

For your edification: read in particular (e): it codifies the ability of doctors to stop treatment, even agains the explicit directives of the patient or family. This is the law in Texas (the same law that Bush signed as governor).

------------------

§ 166.046. Procedure if Not Effectuating a Directive or Treatment Decision

(a) If an attending physician refuses to honor a patient's advance directive or a health care or treatment decision made by or on behalf of a patient, the physician's refusal shall be reviewed by an ethics or medical committee. The attending physician may not be a member of that committee. The patient shall be given life-sustaining treatment during the review.

(b) The patient or the person responsible for the health care decisions of the individual who has made the decision regarding the directive or treatment decision:

(1) may be given a written description of the ethics or medical
committee review process and any other policies and procedures related
to this section adopted by the health care facility;

(2) shall be informed of the committee review process not less than 48
hours before the meeting called to discuss the patient's directive,
unless the time period is waived by mutual agreement;

(3) at the time of being so informed, shall be provided:

(A) a copy of the appropriate statement set forth in Section 166.052;
and

(B) a copy of the registry list of health care providers and referral
groups that have volunteered their readiness to consider accepting
transfer or to assist in locating a provider willing to accept
transfer that is posted on the website maintained by the Texas Health
Care Information Council under Section 166.053; and

(4) is entitled to:

(A) attend the meeting; and

(B) receive a written explanation of the decision reached during the
review process.

(c) The written explanation required by Subsection (b)(2)(B) must be included in the patient's medical record.

(d) If the attending physician, the patient, or the person responsible for the health care decisions of the individual does not agree with the decision reached during the review process under Subsection (b), the physician shall make a reasonable effort to transfer the patient to a physician who is willing to comply with the directive. If the patient is a patient in a health care facility, the facility's personnel shall assist the physician in arranging the patient's transfer to:

(1) another physician;

(2) an alternative care setting within that facility; or

(3) another facility.

(e) If the patient or the person responsible for the health care decisions of the patient is requesting life-sustaining treatment that the attending physician has decided and the review process has affirmed is inappropriate treatment, the patient shall be given available life-sustaining treatment pending transfer under Subsection (d). The patient is responsible for any costs incurred in transferring the patient to another facility. The physician and the health care facility are not obligated to provide life-sustaining treatment after the 10th day after the written decision required under Subsection (b) is provided to the patient or the person responsible for the health care decisions of the patient unless ordered to do so under Subsection (g).

(e-1) If during a previous admission to a facility a patient's attending physician and the review process under Subsection (b) have determined that life-sustaining treatment is inappropriate, and the patient is readmitted to the same facility within six months from the date of the decision reached during the review process conducted upon the previous admission, Subsections (b) through (e) need not be followed if the patient's attending physician and a consulting physician who is a member of the ethics or medical committee of the facility document on the patient's readmission that the patient's condition either has not improved or has deteriorated since the review process was conducted.

(f) Life-sustaining treatment under this section may not be entered in the patient's medical record as medically unnecessary treatment until the time period provided under Subsection (e) has expired.

(g) At the request of the patient or the person responsible for the health care decisions of the patient, the appropriate district or county court shall extend the time period provided under Subsection (e) only if the court finds, by a preponderance of the evidence, that there is a reasonable expectation that a physician or health care facility that will honor the patient's directive will be found if the time extension is granted.

(h) This section may not be construed to impose an obligation on a facility or a home and community support services agency licensed under Chapter 142 or similar organization that is beyond the scope of the services or resources of the facility or agency. This section does not apply to hospice services provided by a home and community support services agency licensed under Chapter 142.

interesting too, if Terri Schiavo was in my state (Oregon), there would have been no uproar most likely because of our relaxed views of dying with dignity.

Scratch said:
The point is there is other ways to end a life but to do so without killing, murdering, slaughtering whatever you want to call it, you can allow someone to die naturally
What is naturally and why is that better than other ways. I don't see euthanasia as killing, murdering or slaughering (how do you think of that?) and it certainly is more dignified than starving a helpless person to death. Euthanasia should not be thought of lightly, I think it should be a strictly controlled, but it should be allowed.

There are stories of dying rooms in China, this is where unwanted female babies or children are left on their own to die of starvation and dehydration.

I can see both sides of this argument. On one hand, it is only food and water, but on the other hand, there is nothing natural about a feeding tube. As for the state of the patient, it sure seems to me like the parents and family refuse to let go of a person who is already dead. But, if some reports are to be believed, this is not the case. I have no way to know...if there is any doubt, I say error on the side of life. But, in the end I can't tell what the facts are so I have refused to torture myself over this.

I can only say that after spending 25 years around medicine and hospitals, when I go, I hope that I drop like a rock - alive one minute, dead the next.

Fifiki is right. Dying of starvastion is considered passive euthanasia. The public outcry might be much worse if the passive euthanasia becomes assisted; people might try to twist it into assisted suicide. It all boils down to what Terri wanted before she collapsed. Right now as far as we know it was that she would have wanted to die and not be kept alive on a feeding tube. She does not have concisousness. Part of her cerebrial cortex is so serverely damaged she can not feel anything. Her body still goes through wake and sleep cycles, but that is part of basic human function.

Kerrie also has a point that where she lives also plays a part in why this has become what it is.

How many more days might she be alive without the feeding tube?

Ivan, I share your sentiment about death. Quick and hopefully painless.

Monique said:
What is naturally and why is that better than other ways. I don't see euthanasia as killing, murdering or slaughering (how do you think of that?) and it certainly is more dignified than starving a helpless person to death. Euthanasia should not be thought of lightly, I think it should be a strictly controlled, but it should be allowed.

In this case, it is being strictly controlled. Terri has a morphine drip to ensure she does not suffer any pain in the dying process.

According to one interview with one of the nation's leading neuro-something-or-other on the NBC national news, according to patients who have willingly died in the same fashion, even if she was awake she would feel no pain, hunger, or thirst.

What percentage of us will starve to death by eventually refusing food? I believe my Mom did. I was told by a nurse that not eating was often a sign that death is imminent for the bedridden.

Ivan Seeking said:
According to one interview with one of the nation's leading neuro-something-or-other on the NBC national news, according to patients who have willingly died in the same fashion, even if she was awake she would feel no pain, hunger, or thirst.

Sorry but I just had to point out a small detail.. how did these patients who willing die attest to the lack of pain if they were already dead? :smile:

Zantra said:
Sorry but I just had to point out a small detail.. how did these patients who willing die attest to the lack of pain if they were already dead? :smile:

There are a number of case studies on people who have gone on long hunger strikes, where there is a physician evaluating and monitoring them continuously. Some have died, others have stopped prior to dying but with neurological damage.

Are you saying you know Terri's wishes? If you are, how? If not, then who should be the one to best interpret her wishes? Who was in the best position to know? Who did Terry give this responsibility to?
No Russ, are you? Who should be best to interpret her wishes... there is not just one person. Seriously consider it. Putting someones life in one persons hands...way to close to playing God. But if the decision was given to a group of people that could be trusted, then that is different. At least it includes different peoples views, views made by those who love her.

(yes, these questions have a straightforward answer...)/QUOTE]

A straightforward answer? Meaning what? This is no classroom for you to teach at, no church for you to preach at. In this case there are no clear answers, so I hope you are not saying those were rhetorical questions. I pray you are not saying you have the answers. And God help us if you say that her...spouse ( :frown: )is the one that would be in the best position to know.