Please Recommend Physics Textbooks

In summary, the speaker is looking for physics textbook recommendations for self-teaching/relearning purposes. They have a background in physics but have not studied it in years and do not have access to a professor. They prefer a comprehensive and thorough textbook with good visuals and lots of practice problems. They also prefer a calculus-based textbook and are specifically looking for help with Electricity & Magnetism. The suggested textbook is Physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane, which comes in three volumes and includes answers to odd problems. It can be found cheaply online.
Inoc
Hi, I'm self-teaching myself/relearning physics, and I would like to ask the collective wisdom on this board for physics textbook recommendations.

I realize that there's already a plethora of physics textbook recommendations on this forum, and I've already gone through many of those posts. However, my situation is somewhat different, which is why I'm asking again, for recommendations that are tailored to my situation/background.

I took AP Physics C in high school and 1 year of physics in college, so I have had some background in physics, but that was all years ago, and I haven't touched physics since. Additionally, since I'm self-teaching myself, I don't have access to a professor or someone else who can explain things to me if/when I get stuck on a difficult topic.

Thus, the ideal physics textbook would be comprehensive and exceedingly thorough, basically taking you by the hand and walking you through each concept step by step, i.e., A to B to C. Some physics textbooks jump from A to C and seem to expect that a professor will fill in the gaps or that you have some prior knowledge that will enable you to make the leap on your own.

Good visuals are fantastic, since I'm a very visual learner. Also, I learn best by doing problems (lots and lots of them), so a textbook that has an accompanying solutions manual would be best. At the very least, it must include an answer key to at least some of the questions in the book (e.g., the odd problems), otherwise I could be doing hundreds and hundreds of problems yet be doing them all incorrectly just because I can't check my work.

Calculus-based physics textbooks are preferable, since I want to (re-)learn physics as rigorously as possible (for a beginner, that is). Of course, I've also forgotten a lot of calculus as well, so again, step-by-step explanations are critical.

I anticipate that I will be able to re-pick up Mechanics relatively easily. However, I remain thoroughly uncomfortable with Electricity & Magnetism, so I really, really, really need a physics textbook that is especially good at elucidating the mysteries of E&M. Same goes for all of the physics topics that fall outside of Mechanics and E&M, since I either never even learned those topics, or covered them only briefly in my physics courses.

Looking forward to your recommendations! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend Physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane. There are three books in the set: Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 2 Extended. The extended version of Volume 2 contains all of the material in the standard version plus chapters on modern physics. They are calculus-based and include answers to all of the odd problems. You can find used copies of the fourth edition online for around $1.

Related to Please Recommend Physics Textbooks

1. What are the best physics textbooks for beginners?

Some popular choices for beginners include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

2. Are there any textbooks that cover both classical and modern physics?

Yes, "Introduction to Modern Physics" by Richtmyer, Kennard, and Cooper is a comprehensive textbook that covers both classical and modern physics.

3. Are there any online resources for physics textbooks?

Yes, many textbooks have online versions available for purchase or for free. Some popular online resources for physics textbooks include OpenStax, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. What are some textbooks that cover advanced topics in physics?

"Advanced Physics" by Tom Duncan, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths, and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson are all popular choices for advanced physics topics.

5. Are there any physics textbooks specifically for high school students?

Yes, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Randall Knight and "Physics: Principles and Problems" by Paul Zitzewitz are both popular choices for high school students.