Planetary motion equations integral

In summary, the first equation states that the total displacement of a particle is the sum of its individual displacement components, and the second equation states that the total displacement of a particle is the sum of its individual kinetic energy components.
cr7einstein
I was reading Planetary Motion (page 117) in Barry Spain's *Tensor calculus*, and stupidly enough, I didn't understand this. The equations are:

$$\frac{d^2\psi}{d\sigma^2} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dr}{d\sigma}\frac{d\psi}{d\sigma} = 0,$$

$$\frac{d^2t}{d\sigma^2} + \frac{2m}{c^2r}\left(1-\frac{2m}{c^2r}\right)^{-1}\frac{dr}{d\sigma}\frac{dt}{d\sigma} = 0,$$

And the next statement reads

>we integrate the above to get
>
>$$r^2\frac{d\psi}{d\sigma} = h, \quad \left(1-\frac{2m}{c^2r}\right) \frac{dt}{d\sigma}= k$$
>
>respectively, for constants $$k$$ and $$h$$.

I believe it is a simple question, as no steps are given, but I am unable to get it. I tried everything I could, substitutions et al, but to no avail. So please entertain this silly question. Thank you very much...

EDIT
-
Please show the integration, I don't want to confirm the validity of the answers by working backwards, but I want to establish them.

EDIT (2)

I want to see the actual integration. If I am right, then the second term($2r\frac{dr}{d\sigma}\frac{d\psi}{d\sigma}$) of the first equation yields the desired result which is $r^2\frac{d\psi}{d\sigma}$ when integrated wrt $d\sigma$. It means that the integral of $$r^2\frac{d^2\psi}{d\sigma^2}$$ is $$0$$...I think the integral simplifies to $$\frac{d}{d\sigma}\int{r^2d\psi}$$, and to get the required answer, it should be zero or a constant...But HOW? PLease help...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cr7einstein said:
I was reading Planetary Motion (page 117) in Barry Spain's *Tensor calculus*, and stupidly enough, I didn't understand this. The equations are:

$$\frac{d^2\psi}{d\sigma^2} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dr}{d\sigma}\frac{d\psi}{d\sigma} = 0,$$

$$\frac{d^2t}{d\sigma^2} + \frac{2m}{c^2r}\left(1-\frac{2m}{c^2r}\right)^{-1}\frac{dr}{d\sigma}\frac{dt}{d\sigma} = 0,$$

And the next statement reads

>we integrate the above to get
>
>$$r^2\frac{d\psi}{d\sigma} = h, \quad \left(1-\frac{2m}{c^2r}\right) \frac{dt}{d\sigma}= k$$
>
>respectively, for constants $$k$$ and $$h$$.

I believe it is a simple question, as no steps are given, but I am unable to get it. I tried everything I could, substitutions et al, but to no avail. So please entertain this silly question.

The equations are each of the form [tex]
\frac{d^2 u}{d\sigma^2} + f(v)\frac{dv}{d\sigma}\frac{du}{d\sigma} = 0.[/tex] This suggests that one should first divide by [itex]\frac{du}{d\sigma}[/itex] to obtain [tex]
\left(\frac{du}{d\sigma}\right)^{-1} \frac{d}{d\sigma}\left(\frac{du}{d\sigma}\right) + f(v)\frac{dv}{d\sigma} = \frac{d}{d\sigma}\left(\log \left(\frac{du}{d\sigma}\right) + \int f(v)\,dv \right) = 0.[/tex]

EDIT: Working back from the given answer leads me to conclude that the second equation should be [tex]
\frac{d^2t}{d\sigma^2} - \frac{2m}{c^2r^2}\left(1-\frac{2m}{c^2r}\right)^{-1}\frac{dr}{d\sigma}\frac{dt}{d\sigma} = 0.[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, thanks pasmith, I got it...

Last edited:

Related to Planetary motion equations integral

1. How do planetary motion equations integral work?

The planetary motion equations integral are mathematical equations used to describe the movement of planets in our solar system. They take into account factors such as gravity, mass, and distance to calculate the trajectory and velocity of a planet.

2. What is the significance of the planetary motion equations integral?

The planetary motion equations integral are significant because they allow scientists to accurately predict the positions and movements of planets in our solar system. This has been crucial in our understanding of the universe and has also helped in the development of space exploration technology.

3. How were the planetary motion equations integral discovered?

The planetary motion equations integral were first discovered by the famous astronomer Johannes Kepler in the 17th century. He used observations of the planets made by Tycho Brahe to develop his three laws of planetary motion, which formed the basis of the equations.

4. Can the planetary motion equations integral be applied to other celestial bodies?

Yes, the planetary motion equations integral can be applied to other celestial bodies such as moons, comets, and asteroids. As long as the objects are influenced by gravity, these equations can be used to predict their movements.

5. Are there any limitations to the planetary motion equations integral?

While the planetary motion equations integral are highly accurate in predicting the movements of planets, they do have some limitations. They do not take into account other factors such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies or the effects of relativity, which may affect the accuracy of their predictions in certain situations.