Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body

In summary, the problem involves a shaft and gear with given radii and initial angular velocity. The shaft has an angular acceleration of 0.06θ^2 rad/s^2, and after an angular displacement of 10 revolutions, the angular velocity of Gear B needs to be determined. The relationship between Shaft A and Gear B is not specified, but it is important in solving the problem. The acceleration is not constant and requires the use of calculus to find the angular velocity of the shaft.
getty102

Homework Statement

Due to an increase in power, the motor M rotates the shaft A with an angular acceleration(α=0.06θ^2) rad/s^2, where θ is in radians. If the shaft is initially turning at ω
=50 rad/s, determine the angular velocity of gear B after the shaft undergoes an angular displacement Δθ=10 revolutions.

Homework Equations

ω^2=ωsub0^2+2α(θ-θsub0)
v=ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 10 revs to 62.83 rad. I then used the first equation by subbing in ωsub0, α, and 62.83 for θ and θ-θsub0. I came up with 179.62rad/s for ωsubA. I then found the velocity of shaft A using v=ωr. vsubA=vsubB therefore I tried to find ωsubB using ω=v/r. This did not work. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relationship between shaft A and gear B? Are there more gears? A picture would be nice.

The driving shaft A has a radius of 12mm whereas gear B has a radius of 60mm. I don't have a picture but Shaft A is turning Gear B.

getty102 said:
The driving shaft A has a radius of 12mm whereas gear B has a radius of 60mm. I don't have a picture but Shaft A is turning Gear B.

Gear B is mounted co-axially on shaft A?

The axis of both Shaft A and Gear B are parallel although not co-axial. Gear B is a spur gear driven by Shaft A.

getty102 said:
The axis of both Shaft A and Gear B are parallel although not co-axial. Gear B is a spur gear driven by Shaft A.

Seems to me that this information is important to the solution of the problem. We need to know the gearing ratio between shaft A and gear B in order to relate their angular motions.

That information is not available. The only givens are: Drive shaft radius=12mm;Gear B radius=60mm;Drive shaft angular acceleration=0.06θ^2 rad/s^2; initial angular velocity of Drive shaft A= 50 rad/s. Find angular velocity of Gear B after 10revs of Drive shaft A.

It looks like the acceleration isn't constant. It's of the form α = k*θ2, so finding the angular velocity of the shaft will require some calculus.

Related to Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body

1. What is Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body?

Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body is a subfield of mechanics that studies the motion of objects in a two-dimensional plane. It involves analyzing the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a rigid body without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size while undergoing motion. In other words, the distances between different points on the object remain constant, and the object does not deform or bend.

3. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it, while dynamics is the study of motion in relation to the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics describes the how of motion, while dynamics explains the why.

4. What are the three basic types of motion in Planar Kinematics?

The three basic types of motion in Planar Kinematics are translation, rotation, and general motion. Translation is when a body moves without any rotation, rotation is when a body rotates around a fixed axis, and general motion is a combination of translation and rotation.

5. What is a kinematic diagram?

A kinematic diagram is a simplified drawing that represents the motion of a rigid body. It includes the object's geometric shape and the paths of specific points on the object as it moves. Kinematic diagrams are useful for visualizing and analyzing the motion of a rigid body.