Engineering Dynamics - Velocity and Acceleration Analysis

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with a rotating rod and three points that are connected. The goal is to determine the velocity and acceleration of point B, the angular velocity and acceleration of rod BC, and the acceleration of point C. Equations (1)-(6) are used to solve the problem, where the given values are the angular velocity and acceleration of rod AB, the length of rods AB and BC, and the velocity of point A. The solution involves finding the velocity of B, the normal and tangential acceleration of B, the angular velocity and acceleration of BC, and the acceleration of point C. However, the poster is unsure if their solution is correct and is seeking clarification.
ConnorM

Homework Statement

Here is a picture of the problem! http://imgur.com/suJxZ0F
Also here it is in text,

Rod AB rotates with the angular velocity and acceleration clockwise as shown. Points A,B and C are pin connected. Point C is free to slide horizontally as shown in the figure at the instant shown determine

The velocity and acceleration of point B
The angular velocity and acceleration of rod BC, omegaBC, alphaBC
The acceleration of point C

omegaAB = 6 rad/s
alphaAB = 3 rad/s
length of rod AB = 0.5 m
length of rod BC = 0.8 m

Homework Equations

v = ωr (1)
an = ω2r (2)
at = αr (3)
vb = va + vb/a (4)
ab = aa + ab/a (5)

ωdω = αdθ (6)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First I found the velocity of B as 3 m/s but using equation (1) and the angular velocity and length of the rod AB. Next I determined the normal and tangential acceleration of B by using equations (2)(3) and the angular acceleration, angular velocity, and length of rod AB. From the normal and tangential acceleration I used Pythagorean theorem to find the acceleration of point B = 18.06 m/s2. Next I got the angular velocity of BC by using equation (1) and using the length of BC as well as the velocity of B = 3.75 m/s. Next I found the angular acceleration of BC by using equation 3 and the acceleration of B and the length of BC, the angular acceleration I found was 22.575 rad/s2. I don't think I am doing this right, could somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Engineering Dynamics - Velocity and Acceleration Analysis

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly the velocity of an object is changing.

2. How is velocity calculated in engineering dynamics?

In engineering dynamics, velocity is typically calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. This means finding the slope of the position-time graph at a specific point. Alternatively, velocity can also be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time.

3. What is the importance of velocity and acceleration analysis in engineering?

Velocity and acceleration analysis are crucial in engineering as they help us understand and predict how objects will move and behave in different situations. This information is essential for designing and optimizing various structures and systems, such as bridges, vehicles, and machines.

4. Can velocity and acceleration be negative values?

Yes, velocity and acceleration can have negative values. This simply means that the object is moving in the opposite direction to the positive direction that was chosen as the reference point. For example, a car moving in the negative direction on a one-way street would have a negative velocity. Similarly, a car slowing down would have a negative acceleration.

5. How is acceleration related to force in engineering dynamics?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, and a smaller mass will also result in a greater acceleration. In other words, acceleration is a measure of how much force is needed to change an object's state of motion.