What is the Input Torque for a Gearbox with Given Parameters?

In summary, the conversation discusses a gearbox and flywheel system, where the output shaft rotates in the opposite direction to the input shaft at 5 times its speed. The gearbox has an efficiency of 92% and the flywheel has a mass of 50 kg and a diameter of 1.5 m. The question asks for the input torque (T1) and the magnitude and direction of the holding torque (Th) required to hold the gearbox stationary. The solution involves calculating the power output and input, as well as the output torque and angular velocity, and then using the equation for efficiency to find the input torque. The solution for part B can then be solved with the input torque calculated in part A.
Jayohtwo

Homework Statement

A gearbox and flywheel are as shown in FIGURE 4. The output shaft rotates in the opposite direction to the input shaft at 5 times its speed. The gearbox has an efficiency of 92%. If the flywheel is solid, has a mass of 50 kg, a diameter of 1.5 m and is to accelerate from rest to 300 revs min –1 in 1 minute:

(a) Calculate the torque required at input T1.

(b) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the torque required to hold the gearbox stationary (holding torque Th ). Show the direction of the holding torque applied to the shaft with the aid of a sketch

Homework Equations

efficiency = Pout/Pin = - ωout×Toutin×Tin

T1 + T2 + T3 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached my working which includes values calculated for :

Powerout = 115.66 W
Powerin = 125.72 W
Tout = 3.68 Nm
Angular velocity α = 0.5236 rad/s2

The question is asking me for the input torque is it as simple as dividing output Torque by the efficiency ratio or have I missed out on another parameter? I know how to solve part B when I can calculate input Torque. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated thanks.

*I realize there's another thread posted about a year ago with the same question but it was asking for help on a different part which I've not got to yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,182
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes NascentOxygen

Related to What is the Input Torque for a Gearbox with Given Parameters?

1. What is input torque and how is it calculated?

Input torque is the amount of force applied to a system to produce rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the center of rotation to the point of application of the force. This can be represented by the equation T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance.

2. What units are used to measure input torque?

Input torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N⋅m) or pound-feet (lb⋅ft).

3. How does input torque affect the performance of a system?

The input torque is directly related to the rotational speed and acceleration of a system. A higher input torque will result in a greater rotational speed and acceleration, while a lower input torque will result in slower speed and acceleration. It is an important factor in determining the overall efficiency and power output of a system.

4. Can input torque be adjusted or controlled?

In most systems, input torque can be adjusted or controlled by changing the force applied or the distance from the center of rotation. This can be done manually or through the use of gears, pulleys, or other mechanical systems.

5. What are some common methods for measuring input torque?

There are several methods for measuring input torque, including using a torque wrench, strain gauges, and dynamometers. These tools allow for precise measurement of torque and are commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.