Pink Floyd: Amazingly Brilliant Music & Comparisons

• Music
  • Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
In summary: I don't find their music particularly brilliant, but it's always been very relaxing for me.In summary, Pink Floyd's cover of Wish You Were Here is incredibly brilliant. The band's simplicity is what makes the lead so brilliant. Other bands that may compare are Astronuc and Turbo-1, who introduced me to songs like Since I've Been Loving You and Tea for One, and Fleetwood Mac, who are in the same category. However, Marc Knopfler's guitar style is better than any concert performance I've ever seen.
chaoseverlasting
I was listening again to some Pink Floyd songs and I just realized how amazingly brilliant they are! The band's covering Wish You Were Here to play at a church and while going through the lead, it seems so simple, but is absolutely brilliant!

There arent many bands that can come close! Any other bands/songs that you guys think compare? Astronuc and Turbo-1 introduced me to songs like Since I've been loving you and Tea for one along with Fleetwood Mac, which I think are in the same category.

Science news on Phys.org
Here you go! This is one of my favorite live performances. If you like Marc Knopfler's guitar style, you might want to dig into some old JJ Cale stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to 40 years ago. Complimentary LSD is on the snack table.

Be careful it can lead to the hard stuff. You do a little Pink Floyd and then your freinds get you to try some early Genesis and soon you are into Peter Gabriel.

I have never liked Pink Floyd.

Seems I'm a minority.
:rolleyes:

Evo said:
I have never liked Pink Floyd.

Seems I'm a minority.
:rolleyes:
No it seems you're a girl :wink:

"We're so happy we can hardly count"
"By the way, which one's pink?"

Priceless

mgb_phys said:
No it seems you're a girl :wink:

I'm a "girl" and Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Math Is Hard said:
Would you say you were typical?

mgb_phys said:
Would you say you were typical?

I always thought I was. I am really surprised Evo doesn't like PF. I thought everyone loved PF. :confused:

To me, the holy trinity is The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. Those are the three I just can't live without.

Yes very typical, me and all my girlfriends love Pink Floyd. And as I recall from the live concerts that I went to, there were also lots of females.

I don't hate them, I just never cared for them. I was more into Mothers of Invention and Country Joe and the Fish.

Funny, I guess I was into subversive, underground music, now that I think back on the underground bands I listened to back then.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Be careful it can lead to the hard stuff. You do a little Pink Floyd and then your freinds get you to try some early Genesis and soon you are into Peter Gabriel.
He might already be in more trouble than that. I turned him onto early Fleetwood Mac. Peter Green grew obsessed by guilt about all the money they were making (hence the Green Manilishi/demon song) and after he left the group, Jeremy Spencer walked off with a group of evangelical Christians while on tour, leaving the band in the lurch. He was making lots of money in a successful band, and he abandoned that job, along with his wife and child.

Peter Green had agreed to join the Apple label (prompting the Beatles to write "Here Comes the Sun King"), but his mental problems prevented that and he sold his cherished Les Paul to Gary Moore (of Thin Lizzy) for very little money. That was a VERY troubled group of fellows. Even young Danny Kirwan (the remaining original guitarist) broke down eventually.

I'm not a big PF fan either. I find their music rather boring. I know they were hot stuff 40 years ago but music has evolved a lot since then and they don't impress me in any way. And what is it about PF that makes them "brilliant"? Because they were the first band to mix weird *** sounds into their music? Tool does that better than anyone these days.

hypatia said:
Yes very typical, me and all my girlfriends love Pink Floyd. And as I recall from the live concerts that I went to, there were also lots of females.

We should hang out, Hypatia. We can watch Star Trek TOS episodes and listen to Pink Floyd. :biggrin:

ooh, hey, I know - we can sync up "The Wizard of Oz" with Dark Side of the Moon. I always wanted to try that.

Evo said:
I was more into Mothers of Invention and Country Joe and the Fish.

hmm... I don't think I know any of their songs.

Math Is Hard said:
hmm... I don't think I know any of their songs.

But you've heard of Frank Zappa, right? And his kids Dweezil and Moon Unit?

It was positively clever the way they synchronized The Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz.

And then they just forgot they did?

Math Is Hard said:
We should hang out, Hypatia. We can watch Star Trek TOS episodes and listen to Pink Floyd. :biggrin:

ooh, hey, I know - we can sync up "The Wizard of Oz" with Dark Side of the Moon. I always wanted to try that.

I loved PF the first time I heard them - when DSOTM was first released - and have ever since.

Tsu and I tried the Wizard of Oz bit, and it is pretty surprising. [start the music at the third roar of the MGM lion]

I have an acquaintance who plays in a major symphony orchestra. He was telling me that what follows PF is not LSD, as has been suggested, :rolleyes:, but the classics. PF is what motivated his love of music and eventually lead to his career. But he also says that once you've done Bach, you'll never go back.

Pink Floyd was one of my favorite bands for a long time. I still think they are great, but ever since discovering some of Bob Dylan's great songs, my definition of great has changed.

Is it wrong that I really liked The Wall, Live in Berlin, where Roger Waters hired a bunch of period superstar stand-ins for the rest of the band?

Pink Floyd is probably the best band ever. I've always had David Gilmour as my avatar
<--------------------------------

But I don't listen to them much anymore because I know every note and lyric by heart now so I can just play it in my head on demand.

russ_watters said:
Is it wrong that I really liked The Wall, Live in Berlin, where Roger Waters hired a bunch of period superstar stand-ins for the rest of the band?

kind of. David Gilmour could invoke the Tone of the Heavens.

I may have driven my college roommate to distraction with Atom Heart Mother and Meddle.

Math Is Hard said:

That sounds like fun! I wonder if we can get any Floyd to sync with Star Trek?

hypatia said:
That sounds like fun! I wonder if we can get any Floyd to sync with Star Trek?
My money is on synching Meddle with Eraserhead.

turbo-1 said:
My money is on synching Meddle with Eraserhead.

I think you could sync anything to eraserhead. I'm thinking prime misters question time my work well.

Evo said:
I was more into Mothers of Invention

If you were really into them, you wouldn't call them that. The band name was 'The Mothers'. The label, sensing something sinister, forced them to add 'of Invention'.

Topher925 said:
I'm not a big PF fan either.

Probably not the best place to use that abbreviation... :rolleyes:

Evo said:
But you've heard of Frank Zappa, right? And his kids Dweezil and Moon Unit?

ahhh.. ok. I could not place Mothers of Inventions without the Frank Zappa association.

Moon Unit and I are the same age and I was one of her Valley Girl folllowers. (Except in my case it was Tennessee Valley... "like,totally fer sher, y'all.")

ooh, I'm having a young Nick Cage flashback... he was so purdy.

Danger said:
If you were really into them, you wouldn't call them that. The band name was 'The Mothers'. The label, sensing something sinister, forced them to add 'of Invention'.
I used the full name so people would know who I was talking about. I actually saw them at the Catacombs in Houston.

Math Is Hard said:
ahhh.. ok. I could not place Mothers of Inventions without the Frank Zappa association.

Moon Unit and I are the same age and I was one of her Valley Girl folllowers. (Except in my case it was Tennessee Valley... "like,totally fer sher, y'all.")
Too funny.

Zappa was always a little over the boundaries, like "Only 13 and She Knows how to Nasty"

Math Is Hard said:

You're also on a physics forum.

Pythagorean said:
Pink Floyd is probably the best band ever. I've always had David Gilmour as my avatar
<--------------------------------

But I don't listen to them much anymore because I know every note and lyric by heart now so I can just play it in my head on demand.

I wondered why your avatar was familiar - I was at high school (the Perse) with David, though I was two years younger and his hair was shorter then.

We all wondered whether "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" was about our school, however as it was written by Roger Waters we knew it was really referring to the rival Cambridgeshire High School for Boys just down the road!

Garth

pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon.png

Gotta love the prism.