Piecewise Function Integration

In summary, the formulas for the upper and lower sums of f on P_n can be found by dividing the interval [0,1] into n partitions with endpoints given by P_n. The upper sum is given by U(f,P)=\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} M_j(f)\Delta x_j, where M_j=sup f([x_{j-1},x_j]) and the lower sum is given by L(f,P)=\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} m_j(f)\Delta x_j, where m_j=inf f([x_{j-1},x_j]). The value of \int_0^1f(x)dx can be computed by taking
wany

Homework Statement

Find formulas for the upper and lower sums of [itex]f[/itex] on [itex]P_n[/itex], and use them to compute the value of [itex]\int_0^1f(x)dx[/itex].
[itex]P_n:=\{\frac{j}{n}:j=0,1,...,n\}[/itex] (a partition of [0,1])
[itex]\[
f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 0 \le x < 1/2 \\ 1 & 1/2 \le x \le 1 \end{array} \right. \][/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]U(f,P)=\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} M_j(f)\Delta x_j[/itex] and
[itex]L(f,P)=\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} M_j(f)\Delta x_j[/itex]
where [itex]M_j=sup f([x_{j-1},x_j])[/itex] and [itex]m_j=inf f([x_{j-1},x_j])[/itex]
if [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} L(f,P_n)=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} U(f,P_n)[/itex] then this equals [itex]\int_0^1f(x)dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So it is easy to see that this function is bounded on [0,1]. So now we can break this up into the different partitions, but now is where I run into a problem. It is finding the inf and the sup of each interval:
so obviously if both [itex]x_j, x_{j-1}[/itex] are < 1/2 then both inf and sup are 0;
if both [itex]x_j, x_{j-1}[/itex] are >= 1/2 then both inf and sup are 1;
so now it is possible for one case to be [itex]x_j \ge 1/2, x_{j-1} < 1/2[/itex]
in which case sup =1/2 and inf =0.

I am stuck from this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us how exactly you are stuck?
It seems that you have found the good expression for the [tex]M_j(f)[/tex], i.e.

[tex]M_j(f)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & \text{if} & j< n/2\\
1 & \text{if} & j\geq n/2
\end{array}\right.[/tex]

and something analogous for [tex]m_j(f)[/tex]. Now you just need to plug those things in in U(f,P) and L(f,P)...

so [itex]
m_j(f)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & \text{if} & j \leq n/2\\
1 & \text{if} & j > n/2
\end{array}\right.
[/itex]
So now
[itex]U(f,P)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (0)(j/n)=0 & \text{if} & j< n/2\\
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (1)(j/n)= & \text{if} & j\geq n/2
\end{array}\right.[/itex]
and
[itex]L(f,P)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (0)(j/n)=0 & \text{if} & j \le n/2\\
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (1)(j/n)= & \text{if} & j > n/2
\end{array}\right.[/itex]

So now solving I am not sure if I am correct. Are the sums not supposed to be taken from j=1 to n in such cases?

wait so would it actually be:
[itex]
U(f,P)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (0)(1/n)=0 & \text{if} & j< n/2\\
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (1)(1/2n)= & \text{if} & j\geq n/2
\end{array}\right.
[/itex]
and
[itex]
L(f,P)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (0)(1/n)=0 & \text{if} & j \le n/2\\
\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (1)(1/2n+1)= & \text{if} & j > n/2
\end{array}\right.
[/itex]
So now viewing as the limit goes to infinity, [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (1)(1/2n+1)=0[/itex]
and [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sum\limits_{j=1}^{n} (1)(1/2n)=0[/itex]

No, what you wrote is incorrect.
You have the sum

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^n{M_j(f)\Delta x_j[/tex]

and you are supposed to plug in the values for [tex]M_j(f)[/tex]. But for every [tex]M_j(f)[/tex] you have a different value.

Lets take the example with n=3, then we got

[tex] M_1(f)\Delta x_1+M_2(f)\Delta x_2+M_3(f)\Delta x_3[/tex]

We got that [tex]M_1(f)=0[/tex] and [tex]M_2(f)=M_3(f)=1[/tex], thus the above expression yields:

[tex]\Delta x_2+\Delta x_3=2/3[/tex]

Now you just need to do the same thing with n arbitrary (I strongly suggest you do the cases n=4 and n=5 first, then you will see the general case).

Ok so I think I got the general case, but I am not certain. So I did it for n=4,n=5,n=6, and got 3/4,3/5, and 2/3 respectively. So basically I think that depending on n, there will be
[itex]\lceil \frac{n+1}{2} \rceil[/itex] values that have the sup of 1.

So case 1: n is odd: so we have [itex]\frac{n+1}{2}*\frac{1}{n}=\frac{n+1}{2n}=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2n}[/itex]
so taking this limit as n goes to infinity we get that it is 1/2.
So case 2: n is even: so we have that [itex]\frac{n+1+1}{2}*\frac{1}{n}=\frac{n+2}{2n}=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{2n}[/itex]

Now for the lower bound, it is [itex]\lfloor \frac{n-1}{2} \rfloor[/itex]

So case 1: n is odd: so we have [itex]\frac{n-1}{2}*\frac{1}{n}=\frac{n-1}{2n}=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2n}[/itex]
So case 2: n is even: so we have that [itex]\frac{n-1-1}{2}*\frac{1}{n}=\frac{n-2}{2n}=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{2}{2n}[/itex]

Is this correct?

That seems to be good! :approve:

Thanks a lot, this was very helpful.

Related to Piecewise Function Integration

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by multiple sub-functions, each of which applies to a different interval within the overall domain of the function. The function may switch between these sub-functions at specific points or values within the domain.

2. What is integration of a piecewise function?

Integration of a piecewise function is the process of finding the area under the curve of the function. This involves finding the integral of each individual sub-function within its respective interval and then combining these integrals to find the total area.

3. How do you integrate a piecewise function?

To integrate a piecewise function, you first need to identify the intervals and the sub-functions that apply to each interval. Then, you can use the appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to find the integral of each sub-function. Finally, you can combine these integrals to find the total area under the curve.

4. Can a piecewise function be integrated using the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Yes, a piecewise function can be integrated using the fundamental theorem of calculus. This theorem states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. As long as the sub-functions within the piecewise function have antiderivatives, the fundamental theorem of calculus can be applied.

5. What are some real-world applications of piecewise function integration?

Piecewise function integration has many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering to calculate the work done on an object, the volume of a shape, or the displacement of an object. It can also be used in economics to calculate profits or costs based on different production levels. In addition, piecewise function integration is used in statistics to calculate probabilities in different scenarios.