Physics QM vs EE QM for MSEE: Which is Better?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is pursuing a BS in computer science and computer engineering and is considering entering an MS electrical engineering program. They are unsure whether to pursue a PhD in physics or electrical engineering, and are trying to determine the best course structure for their MSEE program. They are debating between taking a quantum mechanics course in the EE department, which would count towards their degree, or in the physics department, which may be more beneficial for applying to PhD programs in physics. They are also considering taking both courses to see the material from different perspectives. The conversation ends with the suggestion to take the EE course for the degree and possibly retake the physics course if they decide to switch fields.
jbusc
I had posted before about my background, I am pursuing a BS in computer science and computer engineering, and will soon probably enter the MS electrical engineering program at my university - after that I am unsure whether to pursue a PhD in physics, electrical engineering, or another field.

So I am trying to determine my course structure for MSEE with this in mind, I can take quantum mechanics in the EE department, or in the physics department. Difference being, the EE course counts as subject credit(applied to degree) for me while the physics is nothing but elective units.

However if I am applying to Phd physics programs they may want to see the physics QM course? Is it important to do the physics course or is the EE course adequate? Thanks so much...

I have pasted course descriptions below for the courses in question, EE471 and PHYS438a. Unfortunately I have little more info.

EE 471 Applied Quantum Mechanics for Engineers (3) Introductory quantum mechanics and applications. Schrodinger equation, atomic and molecular processes, time-dependent perturbation theory. Applications to lasers, solid state demos and gaseous devices. Prerequisite: EE 330 or graduate standing.

PHYS 438ab Introduction to Quantum Mechanics and its Applications (a: 4, Sp; b: 4, Fa) a: Concepts and techniques of quantum mechanics; free and bound states, the hydrogen atom. b: Relativity, atomic spectra, quantum statistics, nuclear models, nuclear reactions, elementary particles. Prerequisite: PHYS 304; corequisite: MATH 445.

EE471 textbooks:· Molecular Quantum Mechanics, P. W. Atkins, R. S. Friedman. Third Edition, Oxford University Press, 1997 (MQM)
· An Introduction to Quantum Physics, A.R. French, E.F. Taylor. W.W. Norton & Company, 1978. (F&T)
· Electrons in Solids, R.H. Bube. Academic Press, 1992. (RB)
· The Feynman Lectures in Physics, Vol. III, R. P. Feynman, Addison Wesley, 1995. (FVIII)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience, if you change fields, you'll have to retake the courses. Take the EE QM class for your degree and if you change fields, then retake the Physics course, it won't hurt to see the material from another vantage point.

On the other hand, taking the Physics course might help you with your decision on whether or not you want to switch.

Gokul43201 said:
On the other hand, taking the Physics course might help you with your decision on whether or not you want to switch.

I agree...

Related to Physics QM vs EE QM for MSEE: Which is Better?

1. What is the difference between Physics QM and EE QM?

Physics QM (Quantum Mechanics) is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, while EE QM (Electrical Engineering Quantum Mechanics) is a branch of electrical engineering that applies quantum principles to the design and development of electronic devices.

2. Which is more relevant to a Master's in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) degree?

It depends on the focus of your MSEE degree. If your focus is on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of quantum mechanics, then Physics QM may be more relevant. However, if your focus is on the practical application of quantum principles to electronic devices, then EE QM may be more relevant.

3. Can I study both Physics QM and EE QM for my MSEE degree?

Yes, it is possible to study both Physics QM and EE QM for your MSEE degree. However, it may require taking additional courses and may lengthen the duration of your degree program.

4. Which field has better job opportunities?

Both Physics QM and EE QM have a wide range of job opportunities. Physics QM may be more relevant for research and academic positions, while EE QM may be more relevant for industry positions in fields such as semiconductors, computer hardware, and telecommunications.

5. Are the concepts in Physics QM and EE QM interchangeable?

While there may be some overlap in concepts between Physics QM and EE QM, the two fields have different focuses and applications. It is important to have a strong understanding of both fields if you wish to study and work in areas that combine both physics and electrical engineering.