Physics/Math Undergraduate by correspondence

In summary: He/she will also have information on other programs: USNA, NROTC, STA, etc.thanks for the feed back.The ones that I know of are Thomas Edison State College, Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, and the Open University.
saneisjus
Guys,
I just joined the navy and I keep hearing other sailors tell me they got their degrees through correspondence while on active duty, instead of waiting till they were out and using their GI Bill money for. Most of them have business or management degrees, so that might be the catch, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding any institutes that off any natural science/math courses via correspondence, much less an entire degree plan. Does anyone know any accredited institutes that offer something that I can put to a physics or math degree to transfer to another university once I'm stationed state side?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should talk to your Division Officer about options. It's difficult to get a degree by correspondence, because there are elements that simply don't translate well to correspondence (like labs), but you can take mathematics, gen-ed, etc. while at sea and when your shore detail happens, then take the remaining classes.

The trick will be to arrange a shore detail in the right place at the right time.

He/she will also have information on other programs: USNA, NROTC, STA, etc.

thanks for the feed back.

The ones that I know of are

Thomas Edison State College
Charter Oak State College
Excelsior College

Going outside the US. Open University and University of South Africa have well established programs.

These schools have will award regionally accredited degrees based on an individualized career plan, and it's possible to get a physics degree through those programs.

Also the "must have" reference book for these things is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580082025/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And John Bear is the main guru for these sorts of things.

There is a large section of that book that basically tells you how not to get scammed, and it names the people that you should *NOT* get your degree from.

One issue here is that I don't know of anyone that has completely a physics degree through those programs (or any other correspondence program). I'd really like to get in contact with people that are doing this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Open University is worth checking out:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/USA.shtm

It has a lot of experience teaching UK armed forces overseas:

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/forces/

It provides lab courses, if you want them, through one week residential schools, but these may not be available in the US... but they are available in many other countries!

In any case, you still get to do experimental research, e.g. the Astrophysics course listing says, "The OU’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and internet-based resources are used throughout the course. You’ll experience real, collaborative astrophysical research, online with a small group of other students, to acquire, reduce, analyse and interpret data."

Related to Physics/Math Undergraduate by correspondence

1. What is a physics/math undergraduate by correspondence?

A physics/math undergraduate by correspondence is a degree program that allows students to complete their coursework through distance learning methods, such as online classes, mail-in assignments, and virtual lectures. This type of program is designed for students who are unable to attend traditional on-campus classes due to personal or professional obligations.

2. How long does it take to complete a physics/math undergraduate by correspondence?

The length of time it takes to complete a physics/math undergraduate by correspondence can vary depending on the individual program and the student's pace. On average, it takes about 4 years to complete a bachelor's degree in physics or math through distance learning. However, some programs may offer accelerated options or allow students to take longer to complete their degree.

3. Are there any prerequisites for a physics/math undergraduate by correspondence?

Yes, most programs will have specific prerequisite courses that students must complete before enrolling in the program. These can vary, but typically include courses in math, science, and sometimes computer science. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in before applying.

4. Can I pursue a physics/math undergraduate by correspondence if I have a full-time job?

Yes, that is one of the main benefits of a correspondence degree program. Since classes and assignments can be completed remotely and on your own schedule, it is possible to balance a full-time job while pursuing a degree. However, it is important to have good time management skills and be able to dedicate enough time to your studies.

5. What types of careers can I pursue with a physics/math undergraduate by correspondence?

A physics/math undergraduate degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, computer science, finance, research, education, and many more. The specific career options will depend on your individual interests and the electives you choose to take during your degree program.