Physics IB EE ideas and Gallieo's results

In summary, the speaker is a new member seeking help in finding results for their Physics EE experiment. The original idea was to replicate one of Galileo's experiments and compare it with modern equipment, but they have been unable to find the results. They ask for alternative ideas and mention that they have access to high-resolution scans of Galileo's original papers online. They also suggest replicating Galileo's methods of measuring time and motion, such as using a pulse or pouring water at a constant rate. They mention that there is a lot of information available on how Galileo obtained his results, making it a viable option for their experiment.
Roocow
I'm new here but I have seen other posts about Physics EE here, so I’m hoping this is the right place. The Extended essay needs to be around 4000 words long and needs to include an experiment. My original idea was to repeat one of Galileo’s experiments and see how accurate it was in comparison with modern equipment, but I have had no luck finding these results, but if anyone knows where they are that would be great help! :)
Otherwise I would need more ideas. I have only just started, so have no particular favourite, but just an idea that could easy be experimented on would be great, Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get high-res scans of G's original papers online. eg.
http://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/Galileo_Prototype/

However, you are probably better repeating the experiments he did in general using his techniques compared with modern methods.

For eg. It was common for natural philosophers of his time to measure time using their pulse, a G did the same a great deal. However, this was not accurate enough for his motion experiments ... so he used a method of pouring water at a constant rate, and weighing the poured water.

He would also roll balls down a ramp directed to roll up another one. (Using a carved curve to cover the otherwise abrupt change at the bottom.) You could easily repeat these experiments directly or using a toy-car-track set ... taking data with the water pouring method (also see how he'd measure weight) and using a stopwatch. (Repeat the runs to get good statistics - maybe he didn't need stopwatch accuracy?)

There are quite a lot of sites discussing how G got his results - so reproducing the methods is probably the way to go.

Related to Physics IB EE ideas and Gallieo's results

1. What is an appropriate topic for a Physics IB Extended Essay?

An appropriate topic for a Physics IB Extended Essay would be one that allows for in-depth analysis and investigation of a specific concept or phenomenon within the field of physics. For example, a topic related to Galileo's results could be exploring the concept of projectile motion and analyzing how Galileo's experiments and findings contributed to our understanding of this phenomenon.

2. How can I incorporate Galileo's results into my Physics IB EE?

There are a few ways to incorporate Galileo's results into your Physics IB EE. One approach could be to use his experiments as a historical case study to demonstrate how scientific understanding has evolved over time. Another approach could be to replicate one of Galileo's experiments and analyze the results, comparing them to modern-day experiments and theories.

3. What are some possible research questions related to Galileo's results for a Physics IB EE?

Some possible research questions related to Galileo's results for a Physics IB EE could be: How did Galileo's experiments and findings contribute to the development of the laws of motion? How does Galileo's concept of inertia apply to modern-day understanding of motion? What impact did Galileo's results have on the scientific community during his time?

4. How can I ensure that my Physics IB EE on Galileo's results is well-structured and organized?

To ensure that your Physics IB EE on Galileo's results is well-structured and organized, it is important to have a clear and focused research question. This will help guide your research and ensure that all of your information is relevant to your topic. It is also helpful to create an outline before starting your essay, to ensure that all of your ideas and arguments are presented in a logical and cohesive manner.

5. What are some potential challenges I may face when writing a Physics IB EE on Galileo's results?

Some potential challenges when writing a Physics IB EE on Galileo's results could include finding reliable and accurate sources for historical information, as well as understanding and interpreting complex scientific concepts. It may also be challenging to balance historical context and scientific analysis in your essay. It is important to thoroughly research and plan your essay to overcome these challenges.