Exploring Microwave Oven Geometry for My IB Extended Essay in Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the requirements for the IB diploma and the production of a 4000 word extended essay. The essay must explore an element of physics through a question, and the person is considering investigating hot spots in microwaves. They are worried about having a solid experiment and have received suggestions to research microwave oven geometry.
Pau
Hi everyone, I hope this is the correct place to post this thread. So, I'm in a school that takes part in the IB diploma which is basically an internationally recognized diploma that let's students have a wide range of possible universities when they leave high school. One of the requirements for graduation is the production of a 4000 word "extended essay" which in my case would essentially be a super lab that I get to choose. I essentially have to explore some element of physics through the use of a question which i have to answer. Something along the lines of "How do pH level variations affect bacterial populations in a fish tank". (I don't take biology so I am no expert at their questions). Anyhow, I came across the idea to investigate hot spots in microwaves. My question was going to be "How does positioning of food in three dimensions within a microwave affect the temperature rise of the food?"

What do you guys think? I am really worried about having a solid experiment to pursue. I'm not asking for a free ticket here; I take pride in depending on myself for most things, but I really need confirmation to make sure that I'm not digging my own grave here :/. Thanks! All responses are appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of the IB Extended Essay in Physics?

The purpose of the IB Extended Essay in Physics is for students to engage in independent research and investigation on a specific topic related to physics. It allows students to develop their research, critical thinking, and writing skills while exploring a topic they are passionate about.

2. How long should the IB Extended Essay in Physics be?

The IB Extended Essay in Physics should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words. This includes the introduction, body, and conclusion of the essay. It is important to stay within this word limit to ensure that all aspects of the essay are thoroughly discussed and analyzed.

3. What types of topics can be chosen for the IB Extended Essay in Physics?

Students have the freedom to choose any topic related to physics that they find interesting and can conduct research on. This can include topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, or even interdisciplinary topics that combine physics with other subjects such as biology or chemistry.

4. How is the IB Extended Essay in Physics graded?

The IB Extended Essay in Physics is graded on a scale of A to E, with A being the highest grade. The essay is assessed by an external examiner and is based on specific criteria, including the quality of research, analysis, and evaluation of sources, organization and presentation of ideas, and overall argument and conclusion.

5. Can I use personal experiments or data in my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

Yes, personal experiments or data can be used in the IB Extended Essay in Physics, as long as they are relevant to the topic and are conducted in a scientific and ethical manner. However, students should also incorporate other sources of information and evidence to support their arguments and conclusions.