Physics grad school after non-physics undergrad?

In summary, the individual has a bachelor's degree in computer science with a focus on math, and has been working as a software developer for six years. They have been self-teaching themselves physics and are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics, specifically with a focus on quantum computing. They question the possibility and preparation for applying for physics graduate school with a non-physics undergraduate degree, and also consider the potential for programs to be open to accepting individuals with a strong knowledge of complexity theory and a desire to learn more about physics.
Coin
I have a bachelor's in CS with a math focus (wound up 1 credit short of a math minor). I have been out of college for about six years now and working as a software developer during that time. Off and on since leaving college I have been self-teaching myself physics. Sometimes I daydream of going back for graduate school and getting a masters (or more) in physics. I am particularly fascinated by quantum computers, and my best case scenario is if I could find a graduate program where I could somehow be involved in quantum computer research-- in fact, I'm mostly interested in the idea of grad school because this is how I imagine one would get involved with quantum computing research right now.

Some questions--

1. Is this idea-- going for physics graduate school, after a non-physics undergrad degree-- even possible?

2. If I were to attempt to apply for physics graduate school, what would I need to do or how would I need to prepare for it? (Assume I'm okay with the idea of an answer to this question being something that takes years to implement…)

3. I have this idea in my head that if I specifically try to focus on quantum computers or the theory of quantum information, that it might make it easier to get into a program without having physics credentials ahead of time because quantum computing exists to an extent at an intersection of fields-- you need to be able to understand not just ideas from physics but also from computational complexity theory or information theory, so I imagine some programs might be amenable to letting in a CS person who can come in saying "I understand complexity theory very well but I need more education on physics". Is this line of thought realistic at all?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) It is possible. Whether or not it's likely is a different matter.
2) You'd need to convince a selection committee that your education and/or experience is the equivalent of a standard undergraduate physics curriculum.
3) Not very realistic, in my opinion.

Coin said:
I have a bachelor's in CS with a math focus (wound up 1 credit short of a math minor). I have been out of college for about six years now and working as a software developer during that time. Off and on since leaving college I have been self-teaching myself physics. Sometimes I daydream of going back for graduate school and getting a masters (or more) in physics. I am particularly fascinated by quantum computers, and my best case scenario is if I could find a graduate program where I could somehow be involved in quantum computer research-- in fact, I'm mostly interested in the idea of grad school because this is how I imagine one would get involved with quantum computing research right now.

Some questions--

1. Is this idea-- going for physics graduate school, after a non-physics undergrad degree-- even possible?

2. If I were to attempt to apply for physics graduate school, what would I need to do or how would I need to prepare for it? (Assume I'm okay with the idea of an answer to this question being something that takes years to implement…)

3. I have this idea in my head that if I specifically try to focus on quantum computers or the theory of quantum information, that it might make it easier to get into a program without having physics credentials ahead of time because quantum computing exists to an extent at an intersection of fields-- you need to be able to understand not just ideas from physics but also from computational complexity theory or information theory, so I imagine some programs might be amenable to letting in a CS person who can come in saying "I understand complexity theory very well but I need more education on physics". Is this line of thought realistic at all?

Thanks.

Once again, you may want to read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

Related to Physics grad school after non-physics undergrad?

1. What are the requirements for admission to a physics graduate program after completing a non-physics undergraduate degree?

The specific requirements for admission to a physics graduate program may vary depending on the university and program. Generally, you will need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra, as well as a background in introductory physics courses. Some programs may also require you to take the GRE subject test in physics.

2. Will my non-physics undergraduate degree hurt my chances of getting into a physics graduate program?

No, having a non-physics undergraduate degree does not automatically disqualify you from being accepted into a physics graduate program. Admissions committees will consider your overall academic performance, letters of recommendation, and other qualifications such as research experience and relevant coursework.

3. How can I prepare for a physics graduate program if I do not have a physics background?

If you do not have a physics background, you can take supplementary courses in physics to strengthen your understanding of the subject. You can also gain research experience by working in a physics lab or completing an independent research project. Additionally, self-study and attending seminars or workshops can also help you prepare for a physics graduate program.

4. Is it possible to switch from a non-physics undergraduate degree to a physics graduate program?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a non-physics undergraduate degree to a physics graduate program. Many universities offer bridge programs or preparatory courses for students with non-physics backgrounds to help them transition into a physics graduate program. However, you may need to take additional courses or complete a summer program to catch up on the necessary physics coursework.

5. Are there any advantages to having a non-physics undergraduate degree when applying to a physics graduate program?

Having a non-physics undergraduate degree can bring diversity to a physics graduate program and provide a unique perspective. Additionally, if your non-physics degree is in a related field, such as engineering or mathematics, it may give you a strong foundation in certain areas of physics. However, ultimately, your qualifications and potential for success in a physics graduate program will be the main factors considered during the admissions process.