Physics extended research essay (IB)

In summary, an IB student is struggling to choose a research question for their 4000 word essay on experimental physics. They have read a guide on extended essays and are interested in the relationship between mass and slope angle, but their data collection software stopped working in the cold. They are now researching the relationship between the apparent area of contact and the resulting frictional force.
sagarbiswas
hello,

I am an IB student and i am suppose to write a 4000 word own researched essay. I have decided to do it on experimental physics. In this essay our first objective into make a very specific research question on which my essay will be build. My favorite choice of topics are mechanics and electricity. But my teacher says i need to submit a more specific idea, then only she will let me start my further research. It is my kind request to you all to give me your valuable opinions on topics. to make your work more easy can you tell me is there any thing i could do on hydro electric power house. I mean i could make some kind of model..and investigate on it... but investigate what ? what sort of things i should investigate on in a model like this. ( will this hydro electric power model be appropriate or a 4000 word essay). An example of an essay like this is "Investigating the limitations affecting maximum braking on a freeride bicycle" so i have to some up with a specific question like this ..but for now i need to know. is it possible to start an investigation on my topics (hydro electric power house). In this power house what kind of things which can be investigated ?
or may be any other topics on electricity and mechanics, but it should fit in 4000 words.

I will be great full you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

I'm also an IB student and I'm also doing my extended essay on physics. I also had some difficulties choosing the research question. Right at the beginning I wanted to do my essay on something related to aeronautics, but I dropped that idea because I read from some extended essay guide that essays involving aeronautics are discouraged. Also an experiment would have been difficult to carry out for an essay dealing with aeronautics.

First I started doing the essay on the relationship between the mass of a skier and the angle of the slope. But then when I went to the slopes to do some experiments, the data collection software (vernier lab quest) stopped working in the cold, (a GPS would have been perfect for measuring the velocity, but I couldn't find one).

So then I decided to dump that idea and make up a new one. Now I'm researching the relationship between the apparent area of contact of surfaces and the resulting frictional force.

I would suggest choosing a subject that you can do an experiment whilst controlling the variables effectively.

... thanks for replyng... when did you start your essay...bec in our skol we just started it.

and ya...can you tell me... to wat extent is ur teacher helpng u with ur selection of idea. i mean is it u bringing her the ideas or she gave u the idea and u r developing it.

Actually we did an essay in our Physics last semester and it is entitled "The Physics of Baseball". In this essay, we explain the air dynamic behind the curve ball and second how to throw a curve ball.

Related to Physics extended research essay (IB)

1. What is the purpose of the Physics extended research essay in the IB program?

The Physics extended research essay in the IB program is designed to allow students to engage in an in-depth investigation of a topic of their choice within the field of physics. It provides an opportunity for students to apply their understanding of key concepts and skills, conduct independent research, and communicate their findings in a structured and academic manner.

2. How long should the Physics extended research essay be?

The Physics extended research essay should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words. This includes all text, figures, tables, equations, and citations. It is important to note that quality and depth of analysis are more important than word count, so students should focus on thoroughly exploring their chosen topic rather than trying to meet a specific word limit.

3. What are the criteria for assessing the Physics extended research essay?

The Physics extended research essay is assessed based on four criteria: research question, methodology, analysis and evaluation, and communication. Each criterion is worth 25% of the total mark. The essay should have a clear and well-defined research question, use appropriate and reliable methods, demonstrate critical thinking and analysis, and effectively communicate the findings and conclusions.

4. Can I conduct experiments for my Physics extended research essay?

Yes, conducting experiments is one of the methods students can use in their Physics extended research essay. However, it is not necessary to conduct experiments to receive a high mark. Students can also use other research methods such as simulations, data analysis, or literature review.

5. How should I choose a topic for my Physics extended research essay?

The topic for the Physics extended research essay should be chosen based on the student's interests and strengths in physics. It should also be a topic that allows for a clear and specific research question to be developed. Students should also consider the availability of resources and the feasibility of conducting experiments or collecting data for their chosen topic.