Physics extended essay (not hwk)

In summary, the speaker is an IB student who has completed experiments for their extended essay in physics. They are concerned about the simplicity of their topic and their teacher suggested investigating the efficiency of bounces at different temperatures. The speaker wonders what the significance of this investigation would be. Investigating the efficiency of bounces can provide insight into the properties of the ball and how temperature affects them. This can lead to conclusions about the relationships between temperature, elasticity, and air resistance.
Bj0rn
hey people! so I am an IB student who has chosen to do his extended essay in physics

so I've done all the experiments that i wanted to do for my topic. but now I am just concerned if its too simple (is that something they consider?) well anyway, my case is that i investigated the effect of temperature on how high a ball bounces at a few different temperatures which gave me some nice results. but i wanted to make it a bit more specific and my teacher suggested to investigate the efficiency of bounces (measure how high it bounces the first and second time and see how much lower it bounces each time). that's a nice idea but where is it going tho? does that mean anything if the efficiency is lower?
thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's definitely something they consider. Investigating the efficiency of bounces can tell you a lot about the properties of the ball and the effect of temperature on those properties. For example, if you find that the efficiency of bounces decreases with increasing temperature, it could be due to a decrease in the elasticity of the material or an increase in air resistance. You can also use your results to draw conclusions about the relationships between temperature, elasticity, and air resistance, which would make for a great extended essay. Good luck!

As a fellow scientist, I can assure you that simplicity in a research topic is not necessarily a negative factor. In fact, some of the most groundbreaking discoveries in physics have been based on seemingly simple experiments. However, it is important to ensure that your research is thorough, well-designed, and has meaningful results.

Your teacher's suggestion to investigate the efficiency of bounces is a good idea as it adds another layer of analysis to your experiment. By measuring how high the ball bounces each time, you can determine if there is a relationship between the temperature and the efficiency of bounces. This can provide further insight into the behavior of the ball at different temperatures and could potentially lead to a more comprehensive understanding of the underlying physics principles at play.

Ultimately, the significance of your research will depend on the conclusions you draw from your results and how well they align with existing theories and principles in physics. I would suggest discussing your ideas and results with your teacher and seeking their guidance on how to further develop your experiment and analysis. Good luck with your extended essay!

Related to Physics extended essay (not hwk)

1. What is the purpose of a Physics extended essay?

The purpose of a Physics extended essay is for students to explore a specific topic in physics in depth and apply their knowledge and skills to conduct research and present their findings in a structured and academic manner.

2. How long should a Physics extended essay be?

A Physics extended essay should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words, not including the abstract, acknowledgements, table of contents, and references.

3. What are some possible topics for a Physics extended essay?

Some possible topics for a Physics extended essay include investigating the relationship between temperature and resistance in a specific material, analyzing the motion of a pendulum and its factors, and researching the properties of superconductors.

4. Are there any specific formatting requirements for a Physics extended essay?

Yes, there are specific formatting requirements for a Physics extended essay, such as using a standard font and size, double spacing, and including citations and a bibliography following a specific citation style (e.g. MLA, APA, etc.). Consult with your teacher or supervisor for the specific requirements.

5. How is a Physics extended essay assessed?

A Physics extended essay is assessed through the criteria of knowledge and understanding, analysis and evaluation, reasoned argument, and presentation. These criteria are evaluated on a scale of 0-36, with a maximum score of 24 for the content and 12 for the presentation.